NCAA to outlaw photoshoots?

Harry

6 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Zach Barnett’s article explains why this is a good thing and something schools want. 

Barnett is spot on: recruiting staffs need someone there to be the bad guy, and that can't be anyone on campus, it has to be the NCAA.

The coach in charge of the unofficial will not care about the time wasted by other staffers and those staffers don't have the power to say no unless the NCAA does it for them.

Without an outside force stepping in everybody will rightly feel like they are in a race where they have to do this, as otherwise the unofficial 4/5 star recruit on his visit will say:

"but the other university DID it! You guys don't like me / are no fun /don't respect my team mates I brought along."

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

Recruits only get so many Official Visits (I think it's 3)but are allowed to schedule as many Unofficial Visits as they want (because the school doesn't pay for it). In my daughters experience going through the volleyball recruiting process, the Visit experience was the same for her whether it was Official or Unofficial, the only difference is whether I had to pay for travel, lodging and food or not.  She loved the photoshoot at each of the schools and would look back at those pics, imagining herself representing that school, during the decision process. I guess I can see how local schools might get abused by recruits bringing friends along on visits, but to me that's more of the schools fault for not making it clear who the visit is for and what the recruit can expect vs anyone they bring along. I'm not a fan of this decision.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Recruits only get so many Official Visits (I think it's 3)but are allowed to schedule as many Unofficial Visits as they want

This changed this year --
The NCAA allows recruits an unlimited number of official visits to Division I schools. Recruits are limited to one per school, unless there is a head coaching change after their visit, in which they are permitted a second visit.

22 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This changed this year --
The NCAA allows recruits an unlimited number of official visits to Division I schools. Recruits are limited to one per school, unless there is a head coaching change after their visit, in which they are permitted a second visit.

Is that new? 2021 volleyball recruiting didn’t work that way.  If that’s the case then I can see how the rule change would make sense.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Is that new? 2021 volleyball recruiting didn’t work that way.  If that’s the case then I can see how the rule change would make sense.

The NCAA Division I Council announced on April 13, 2023 that they would no longer limit the number of official visits recruits can make to NCAA member schools. The change went into effect on July 1.