Was Morris the Wrong Hire? (Spoiler.. We Don't Know)

TheReal_jayD

5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I have no clue who you are. If Man or women? I know Zero about you. So I can assure you that it’s was not directed to your amount of manliness or lack there of. My comment is directed at my decision to postpone final judgement for  at least a couple weeks before I lose all faith. 

Your use of the expression “fetal position” led me to believe that. I will take you at your word.

I am not sure I have lost “all” faith but I don’t have much left. If we don’t see some defensive adjustments this game then I don’t know that I will even have a sliver of hope. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Your use of the expression “fetal position” led me to believe that. I will take you at your word.

I am not sure I have lost “all” faith but I don’t have much left. If we don’t see some defensive adjustments this game then I don’t know that I will even have a sliver of hope. 

And I can assure you I will be right there with you. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Big Z said:

That's it? 

I didn't run through our starting lineups, but off of my head, we are primarily starting SL recruits.  The comment was talking about young players starting to impress and good recruiting classes being signs of life.

I would add that Landon Sides played well, got called for a B.S. holding call, Rogers looked good as a Morris recruit, as did Cleveland and Conwright.  The remainder of the playing time has gone to players from the existing roster.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I didn't run through our starting lineups, but off of my head, we are primarily starting SL recruits.  The comment was talking about young players starting to impress and good recruiting classes being signs of life.

I would add that Landon Sides played well, got called for a B.S. holding call, Rogers looked good as a Morris recruit, as did Cleveland and Conwright.  The remainder of the playing time has gone to players from the existing roster.

The Earle starting over Rogers makes no sense at all. You have a guy who had more D1 starts, yards, TDs than a guy from an FCS level? 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

Even when teams had 0-2 starts there were signs of possibilities, a good recruiting class, or young players starting to impress.  So far there has been none of that.  Where are people expecting the improvements to come from? 

Well our completion percentage through two games is higher than Aune’s was last year. Isn’t that what the problem was? I heard that somewhere. 

• Upvote 4

I think it's important to consider the WHO, and the HOW NT lost the first two games.

If we were 0-2 with the same scores against Cal & South Alabama, things might be a little different.

Cal returned a lot of their players from last year, their DC, and brought in Spav to run the offense (good hire!), and then had an insider coaching their OLine who knows all of our returning personnel very very well.
  - We hang with Cal through the first half, then the wheels fall off. 
Fans said: "This is frustrating, and cause for concern.  But hey, they're a P5 team.  We'll see how we do against another G5 team next week!"

Then, a team like South Alabama, who won 10 games last year (going 7-1 in SBC play)
  - Hanging with them for a final score L:39-46
Fans might say: "Hey, there was some improvement!  We played a good team and hung tough with them!  Growing pains with a new coach, I suppose, but if we improve like this again, we should take care of business against LATech next week!"

But no, that second loss was against FIU.   When we struggle against a team like FIU, the red flags shoot up, and morale drops.  People start wondering if we're going to win any more games this year.  Justifiably

Unfortunately, if Coach Morris doesn't get the "buy-in" he's desperately needing... additional wins are going to be very difficult for UNT to come by.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

1.  Our recent recruiting class has some of the highest recruits we have ever had.  The current class also has highly rated players, but what we need to address are both lines.

2.  Welsoki has looked good as has Patrick Smith and a few others

You realize this is due in part to the better conference dividend, right?  It's simple table stakes to get a better class in The American than C-USA, better in C-USA than the Sun Belt (at least the old Sun Belt, haha), better in the Sun Belt than the Big West, etc..  It's the natural order of things.  We should not compare our class to previous classes until we've been in the conference for a few years, but even then it's more relevant to compare ours against our conference mates.

1 hour ago, keith said:

You realize this is due in part to the better conference dividend, right?  It's simple table stakes to get a better class in The American than C-USA, better in C-USA than the Sun Belt (at least the old Sun Belt, haha), better in the Sun Belt than the Big West, etc..  It's the natural order of things.  We should not compare our class to previous classes until we've been in the conference for a few years, but even then it's more relevant to compare ours against our conference mates.

That is one of the reasons, yes, I am aware of that.