Wazzu has 3 backup plans, and 2 of them are out there

The uncertainty of a TV deal makes it a risky decision for the Cougars to join the conference. This makes joining the AAC the best business option when it comes to conference realignment.

Yes, the distance between Washington St and the rest of the AAC schools would be funky but the damage to the Pac-12 has already been done. The Mountain West would make a lot more sense geographically but the AAC TV deal is more lucrative.

The AAC TV deal would allow Washington St to have a steady amount of income and does not have a grant of rights clause in it. Additionally, Washington State would be more likely to move back into a top conference if they are able to be the best football program in the AAC for consecutive years.

Link:  https://fansided.com/2023/08/20/college-football-realignment-washington-state/

• Upvote 4

Underwhelming article. At least since the SWC and Big-8 went to ABC to talk options going forward after the CFA TV deal broke up schools have gone to the powers that be and asked "What will you pay for ______?"

The idea that they would be in a situation of joining MWC or rebuilding while not knowing the TV value is silly.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

I have spent 0 minutes on any of the Pac-4 fan boards, but man this whole process must be hard on the psyche of the diehard fans.  For they last 30 or so years of "realignment" in college football, there have always been left-behinds, but then they were able to call up or reload with the next-in-line candidates.  It's generally been a "move up" process or at least a lateral move as schools jockey for position.  If any one or any combination join the AAC or MWC, they would forever be labeled with the stigma of the first major college football schools to "move down."  That's a bitter pill to swallow.  

If the AAC or the MWC sees accretive value in these 2-3 schools (assuming Stanford is a no-go under any circumstance) and even if the AAC or MWC are the ones in the position of power, the 2-3 need to save face from a psychological standpoint.  It needs to be structured as the left-behinds calling up the AAC or the MWC (in whole) to rebuild the PAC.  There is no benefit in leaving anyone out.  The AAC or the MWC would truly be offering a life-line and the 2-3 should be thankful to take it.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

I like what he said about not waiting for someone else (*cough* Stanford and Cal *cough*) to do something and take control of their own destiny and it got me thinking.  

What if WSU and OSU got together without Stanford and Cal and worked hard to "rebuild" the PAC with the AAC or MWC and then down the line Cal realized they didn't have any other options and could not go the indy route that Stanford can and came back to ask WSU and OSU if they could be included?  Could WSU and OSU (and the rest of the new PAC) say, "awww, bless your heart, thanks but no thanks."  Could WSU and OSU rebuild the PAC and exclude Cal and Stanford or would those two be included by default because they are existing members?  Would suck if WSU and OSU did all the heavy lifting and Cal benefited by doing nothing.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, keith said:

I like what he said about not waiting for someone else (*cough* Stanford and Cal *cough*) to do something and take control of their own destiny and it got me thinking.  

What if WSU and OSU got together without Stanford and Cal and worked hard to "rebuild" the PAC with the AAC or MWC and then down the line Cal realized they didn't have any other options and could not go the indy route that Stanford can and came back to ask WSU and OSU if they could be included?  Could WSU and OSU (and the rest of the new PAC) say, "awww, bless your heart, thanks but no thanks."  Could WSU and OSU rebuild the PAC and exclude Cal and Stanford or would those two be included by default because they are existing members?  Would suck if WSU and OSU did all the heavy lifting and Cal benefited by doing nothing.

I don't think a Pac rebuild is realistic.  Too many complex issues and moving parts, no media, etc.   Much easier for the leftovers to move out and try for another upgrade another year.

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

I don't think a Pac rebuild is realistic.  Too many complex issues and moving parts, no media, etc.   Much easier for the leftovers to move out and try for another upgrade another year.

This is the first FBS conference to get raided at the end of a media contract since SWC and that was a whole different universe back then.

Leagues with something in hand have an easier time. Schools left and their worldview matters too.

If it were MWC gutted, I'd have few doubts about their survival because if say New Mexico and Wyoming got left behind, New Mexico State and UTEP would be interested. North Dakota State, South Dakota State, and maybe North Dakota would be calling. Montana and Montana State might be tempted. Cal-Davis, Cal Poly, Sacramento State, and Portland State would be looking at their capacity to shift subdivisions. MWC down to a handful of schools would have people saying pick me.

Pac-4 has people saying pick me but the people doing the picking are so far not accepting their circumstances. They are apparently NOT calling the two Dakota States nor their ancient conference brothers Montana.

CUSA wasn't being picky when the time came. I think they scored a bargain with Kennesaw State. Liberty will acquit themselves well and with new leadership now in place might actually be run by people they feel they can work with instead of a puffed up dude who thought he could bully or buy anything he wanted. Even if MTSU hadn't been in dire need of the departure money prompting their decision to turn down the MAC and effectively block WKU's departure, FIU, Tech and UTEP would still have found backfill schools.

Pac-4 isn't mentally there.

Eventually Washington and Oregon State will join the AAC.  Boise State and San Diego State will be the next two teams to join the AAC along with either Colorado State or the Air Force Academy taking the place of smut. That will bring the AAC to twenty teams running from coast to coast and we will be the number 4 conference in CFB.  GMG!!!

• Confused 1