GMG Report: Scrimmage Notes 8/19

TheReal_jayD

2 hours ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

From @DallasGreen

Chandler was recruited to be the starter, he will be the starter. I like Earle as far as hustle and running ability, but Seth never used him due to arm strength. No D-1 experience like Rogers. Earle is a great change of pace backup, but he is not capable of consistently moving the ball vs Berkeley. Rudder May have an arm but he is way too slow

This is what I read in my head. 
Chandler was recruited to be the starter, he will be the starter, but Earle was so undeniable through practices and scrimmages that Morris was left with no choice. I like Earle as far as hustle and running ability, but Seth never used him due to arm strength was unable to evaluate and develop QB Talent so would not let him through the ball.  Earle's arm strength is far superior as evidenced by his 50 YD TD on the run last night and to my understanding everyone else who has seen them both play.  No D-1 experience like Rogers (although he did start as a freshman at ACU) and despite that is still outplaying Rogers.  Earle is  was a great change of pace backup last year, but he is very capable of consistently moving the ball vs Berkeley this year based on his over 80 % completion rate this fall (per Morris), arm strength, and running ability. Rudder May have an arm but he is way too slow

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Think of it this way: transfers make their move to either 1) be more high profile AKA start or, 2) go to a specific school.

In other words, I don't think Rogers was targeting Denton.  I think Morris reached out and told him he needs a QB.

I've told this story before, but Morris is truthful to a fault. When he was at Tech he went on a recruiting visit to see one of the highest rated QBs in the country, Jarrett Stidham after Stidham had already verbally committed to Tech(this was after Pat's first season, so he was not the Mahomes he turned into yet). Stidham asked him if he would come in as the starter and Morris said you'll have to come in and compete.  After this visit Stidham decommitted. So, I'm assuming that's what he said to Rogers too.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

On 8/20/2023 at 9:51 AM, MGNation92 said:

I guess some people have amnesia with Reffett. When we had the right guys 2017-2019 our defense was good to great at times. 

Might be a bit rough this season, but I expect they’ll right the ship. Just gotta recruit their asses off.

2017- 35.0 PPG allowed (111th)

2018- 24.2 PPG allowed (43rd)

2019- 32.5 PPG allowed (105th)

I'm not saying a three man front can't work here but it really was only 2018 when we had success with it. Six starters on that 2018 defense ended up at least getting a cup of coffee in the NFL. The 2018 defense forced 22 turnovers against the 2nd weakest strength of schedule in FBS and we were exposed by Utah State. I believe the defensive coaches know what they're doing, I think the scheme from ISU is likely way better than the one Reffett ran I just don't believe we will give us less than 30 PPG this season.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I'm not saying a three man front can't work here but it really was only 2018 when we had success with it. Six starters on that 2018 defense ended up at least getting a cup of coffee in the NFL. The 2018 defense forced 22 turnovers against the 2nd weakest strength of schedule in FBS and we were exposed by Utah State. I believe the defensive coaches know what they're doing, I think the scheme from ISU is likely way better than the one Reffett ran I just don't believe we will give us less than 30 PPG this season.

Very good information here @ntmeangreen11

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

We shouldn’t need to hold opponents to less than 30. If this offense works then 30-33 should get us 7+ wins. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

2 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

The 2019 Bodie Reeder offense did the defense no favors.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

We shouldn’t need to hold opponents to less than 30. If this offense works then 30-33 should get us 7+ wins. 

Well, we averaged 33.8 points per game last season, which was 28th (8th highest among G5 schools) while giving up 31.7 PPG (110th) and we won 7 games so I think that's entirely possible.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Well, we averaged 33.8 points per game last season, which was 28th (8th highest among G5 schools) while giving up 31.7 PPG (110th) and we won 7 games so I think that's entirely possible.

Good research, but it would have been more effective if you had included this:

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1