Stanford is calling the shots

10 minutes ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

Part of the PACs downfall was/is their Presidents insistence on strict Academic and Cultural requirements for potential new members or new conference alignment. Stanford has now put themselves on an island due to this.  Until they are willing to associate with others they will be isolated. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

How much TV money is Stadium or Apple TV paying?  Does Stanford and/or SMU pay the exit fees of the Mountain West universities?  Who will be the commissioner?  Will those in the Pac 4 receive more than they could have made with the AAC and ESPN?  Will the Pac ? Conference make enough money to exceed the exit cost of any AAC members who go to the new conference?  Will chess be one of the sports?  So many questions; no answers.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

How much TV money is Stadium or Apple TV paying?  Does Stanford and/or SMU pay the exit fees of the Mountain West universities?  Who will be the commissioner?  Will those in the Pac 4 receive more than they could have made with the AAC and ESPN?  Will the Pac ? Conference make enough money to exceed the exit cost of any AAC members who go to the new conference?  Will chess be one of the sports?  So many questions; no answers.

I was hearing like 20 million a school plus more if subscription goals or met.  But that was before the meltdown.

• Upvote 1

That offer of $20 million was for a conference that included Washington and Oregon.  Without those two, that offer will drop significantly.  Few out west will tune in to Stanford vs SMU instead of Washington, Oregon, UCLA, or USC vs any other Big 10 opponent.

Stanford and Cal will not drive anything, nor will SMU and Rice.

I would bet any new conference including Stanford and Cal would net at most $10 million since they marquee matchups would be gone.  Is the difference between $7 million in the AAC and $10 million they might get be enough to incur the extra travel for your non-revenue sports?

I'll pass.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, UNT86 said:

That offer of $20 million was for a conference that included Washington and Oregon.  Without those two, that offer will drop significantly.  Few out west will tune in to Stanford vs SMU instead of Washington, Oregon, UCLA, or USC vs any other Big 10 opponent.

Stanford and Cal will not drive anything, nor will SMU and Rice.

I would bet any new conference including Stanford and Cal would net at most $10 million since they marquee matchups would be gone.  Is the difference between $7 million in the AAC and $10 million they might get be enough to incur the extra travel for your non-revenue sports?

I'll pass.

I'm not sure the marquee matchups would be gone, but they would be out-of-conference instead of conference games.  However, this raises a question.  Let's say Stanford still plays USC, UCLA and Wash/Oregon OOC on semi-regular annual basis.  Which provider carries the game and is the money associated with the game split between the two conferences?  Is it a matter of who the home team is?  Likewise, Stanford plays Notre Dame on occasion.  So, if they schedule correctly, I think they will still be able to play marquee games on an annual basis along with 3 former PAC conference mates.

• Upvote 1

Are Cal and Stanford tied at the hip?  Would Oregon State and Washington State break away from those two if offered?  Personally, I don't care if Stanford comes along; especially if they are going to call the shots.

I don't think that Mike Aresco would tear down what he has put together to please Stanford.  I also assume that he would not become their commissioner by taking ten or twelve AAC members to fill out the Pac 12.  Stanford can't make decisions now with an interim president.  

If it were up to me I'd offer Cal, Oregon State and Washington State.  If any, or all of those three accepted I'd take them.  In 2025 I'd try to take some of the Mountain West (especially the eastern schools and Boise State).  I'd also feel out some of the larger western schools to see if they had interest in case Stanford and possibly Cal decided to fill in with MWC members.  I'd also ask Stanford again in 2025.  I don't object to their becoming part of the AAC but I don't like them dictating our future.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Are Cal and Stanford tied at the hip?  Would Oregon State and Washington State break away from those two if offered?  Personally, I don't care if Stanford comes along; especially if they are going to call the shots.

I don't think that Mike Aresco would tear down what he has put together to please Stanford.  I also assume that he would not become their commissioner by taking ten or twelve AAC members to fill out the Pac 12.  Stanford can't make decisions now with an interim president.  

If it were up to me I'd offer Cal, Oregon State and Washington State.  If any, or all of those three accepted I'd take them.  In 2025 I'd try to take some of the Mountain West (especially the eastern schools and Boise State).  I'd also feel out some of the larger western schools to see if they had interest in case Stanford and possibly Cal decided to fill in with MWC members.  I'd also ask Stanford again in 2025.  I don't object to their becoming part of the AAC but I don't like them dictating our future.

I was thinking the same thing GrayEagle.  If Stanford wants to take their ball and play by themselves, then maybe it's time for the AAC to make a new offer to Cal, OSU and WSU to see if they would be interested.  If those three agree as a unit maybe they force Stanford's hand, but they simply may not be interested.  Would love to have Stanford, but can't be held hostage.  If they aren't interested, see if any of UNLV, AF or CSU would bite.