What Bugs You About Today's State of College Football?

What bugs you?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What bugs you most?

• Conference realignment / loss of traditional rivalries
    • ESPN's stranglehold on college football
    • The arms race / Ridiculous coaching salaries
    • NIL / Moving away from the amateur model
    • Players transferring like crazy
    • Playoff diminishing the importance of traditional bowl games
    • Rule changes (regarding kick returns, targeting, or whatever)
    • Other (tell us what)

On 7/10/2023 at 10:43 AM, bstnsportsfan3 said:

You are just salty that your perceived "little brother" has now caught up to you conference-wise. i don't see the Pac making a move anytime soon and no one else is desperate enough to add SMU. You will be in a conference for us for a long while and can no longer avoid us in basketball and other sports. 

Really, no. UNT gets no more thought than other teams like Rice joining, which aren't any worse than most of the other AAC teams that were already here and not leaving.

But really, we are salty about being left behind by UCF UH Cincy.  Who we're left with are all pretty much interchangeable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

But really, we are salty about being left behind by UCF UH Cincy.  

Actually, SMU was left where they need to be, not left behind.  You all need to check your ego, because you all aren't as big a fish as you think you are.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2023 at 2:46 PM, NT80 said:

The Big12 already has a DFW school (TCU).   UH, Cincy have enrollments near 45K, and UCF 65K.  Smu is 12K. 

Size matters for attendance and potential media.

Yes, It's very logical why they added who they did and who they didn't.  I wouldn't add us if I were them given their current make up.  Still don't have to like it. 

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 4

On 7/10/2023 at 8:45 AM, HoustonEagle said:

We have all overlooked this issue because of our love for the sport and our desire to see our school win on the largest stages. However, I personally find it harder to overlook now that football has become a paid league while still being a massive drain on resources.

This I am in 100% agreement with.  Greed and just plain poor sportsmanship led to all this.  If you can just out spend 80% your competitors what is the sport in that?  The greatest thing about college sport is the inclusion.  Outside the Dakotas, and the least populated states in the union everybody has a school that get on the biggest stage in their sport and win.  It is inclusive for fans and the athletes.  The saddest part is that a lot of it could be fixed but no of the leadership in the sport have the power and courage to be selfless.  So many in state rivalries squashed because of greed and just refusal to compete.  And all kinds of depravity covered up to preserve the “competitiveness” of the program and keep the money coming in.   

9 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

This I am in 100% agreement with.  Greed and just plain poor sportsmanship led to all this.  If you can just out spend 80% your competitors what is the sport in that?  The greatest thing about college sport is the inclusion.  Outside the Dakotas, and the least populated states in the union everybody has a school that get on the biggest stage in their sport and win.  It is inclusive for fans and the athletes.  The saddest part is that a lot of it could be fixed but no of the leadership in the sport have the power and courage to be selfless.  So many in state rivalries squashed because of greed and just refusal to compete.  And all kinds of depravity covered up to preserve the “competitiveness” of the program and keep the money coming in.   

Major League Baseball?

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Dpony14 said:

Major League Baseball?

Somewhat but isn't that model of how to decrease the growth of fandom in your sport in all but a handful of large markets that afford the luxury tax?   One of the reason I did not grow up a Rangers fan because up until the 90s they really couldn't compete.  Soon as they developed a player they couldn't afford to keep them (a lot like NIL and no sit out transfers).  Baseball has international markets they grow in.  A international market to find talent in also.  College Football doesn't have that.  

• Confused 1