Trying to understand....

untcampbell

30 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It will be interesting to see how long the money stays there for buying players if the teams do not win. My guess is if they do not find a way to reign in pay-for-play and uncontrolled spending, we will see a more significant divide than we have now between the "haves" and the "have-nots."

SMUt paid that Bama transsfer RB 250K supposedly and the dude never stepped foot on the field.  I think seeing that happen over and over again will get old.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

SMUt paid that Bama transsfer RB 250K supposedly and the dude never stepped foot on the field.  I think seeing that happen over and over again will get old.

Someone paid Ewers $1M to graduate early and be the 4/5th string QB at Ohio State. Great Investment.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Someone paid Ewers $1M to graduate early and be the 4/5th string QB at Ohio State. Great Investment.

Yep, and that moron bought a Lamborghini and a bad haircut and moved to Austin.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I often wonder if that is really happening.  I mean, doesn't the NIL organization require some type of performance requirement?  Someone was posting on here that Drez never got the money he was promised at Georgia because it was based on him starting a certain number of games.  Which is very much bait and switch if you ask me.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I often wonder if that is really happening.  I mean, doesn't the NIL organization require some type of performance requirement?  Someone was posting on here that Drez never got the money he was promised at Georgia because it was based on him starting a certain number of games.  Which is very much bait and switch if you ask me.

As far as I can tell, there is no actual, enforceable way to know what is happening. Remember (complete sarcasm intended) the schools have nothing to do with this process. These young men and women are not getting paid to play after all.

P.S. If his NIL deal stipulated playing time, that was a great move by those paying him. Wasn't there a QB who recently medically retired from LSU that is keeping a lot of money and not playing?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

I can promise you that he didn't get even close to that amount of money. He also had:

• CAR
  • YDS
  • TD
  • AVG
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

For me, building a football team is no different than hiring a team at work. I want the best candidate. I don't care if they're freshmen or junior transfers. If they can help me win games, I want them on my team. Honestly, if a coach is shying away from high school kids because they think they'll transfer out, they're not the coach for me. I want a coach and administration doing everything in their power to keep athletes here once they've jumped on board whether they're freshmen or upper level transfers. Not only that, but I want them to be confident enough that they think they can keep them on campus once they've arrived that they're going out and getting the best athletes they can.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Point being, did they get what they think they paid for.

He was a RS Freshman coming off a knee injury that didn't get properly rehabbed after he left Bama. Any reasonable SMU fan knew he wasn't going to light the world on fire. For what we actually paid, he only slightly missed expectations. I only say that because once he got his knee healthy he would only play parts of games with other random injuries. He really needed more weight room time to bulk up, which he's getting now. The good thing is he's still here, still very talented, and used his one free transfer. He'll be part of a pretty stout rotation this year. Summary: Jury is still out, but it wasn't a waste of money. Worst case he's very talented depth, best case he makes an NFL roster one day. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

As far as I can tell, there is no actual, enforceable way to know what is happening. Remember (complete sarcasm intended) the schools have nothing to do with this process. These young men and women are not getting paid to play after all.

P.S. If his NIL deal stipulated playing time, that was a great move by those paying him. Wasn't there a QB who recently medically retired from LSU that is keeping a lot of money and not playing?

Plenty of stories of Buyer's Remorse when it comes to high $$ payout vs actual performance.  Schools don't care since technically it's not their $.