Looks like Coach Leach had the right idea

Leach’s plan to categorize two kinds of college athletes—amateurs and professionals—is a similar concept used in professional golf tournaments, where amateurs can compete while unable to win cash prizes.

Under Leach’s plan, amateurs follow similar rules currently applied to college athletes. They are unpaid and they can freely transfer. However, amateurs would receive a $100,000 bonus once they graduate from the school with which they originally signed. If you transfer, Leach says, you’d give up the right to earn the bonus.

Those choosing to be professionals would be paid a salary from the school, sign a binding contract, and could be traded and cut from the team. They still must attend school. School salary pools are structured similar to the NFL, where franchises are limited in their spending.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/10/05/college-football-mike-leach-nil-plan-pro-athletes

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I honestly liked what Gundy had to say. Make every kid sign a contract, you work on the years etc. 

So depending on how many years they sign for, you know exactly what you have on your roster any given year. They could choose to re-up or transfer. It's ugly, but it's transparent as hell.

Then again that's putting a lot on 17-18 year old kids but if they're the type to chase money, I'm sure they'd welcome the idea. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Then again that's putting a lot on 17-18 year old kids but if they're the type to chase money, I'm sure they'd welcome the idea. 

Tired of reading how this is "a lot to put on these kids".  B.S.  They are walking around with their hand out looking to get paid.  Actions have consequences.  Deal with them.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't want to hear from college coaches like Gundy whose idea to reform the NIL free-for-all is to give coaches a lot more power over player movement.

Unless the coaches also agree that their own movement is restricted when they sign a contract and they have to honor it in full.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, rcade said:

I don't want to hear from college coaches like Gundy whose idea to reform the NIL free-for-all is to give coaches a lot more power over player movement.

Unless the coaches also agree that their own movement is restricted when they sign a contract and they have to honor it in full.

Most head coaches have a clause in their contract where they must pay the school if they leave. Should that be added to the scholarships for players? 

36 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Most head coaches have a clause in their contract where they must pay the school if they leave. Should that be added to the scholarships for players? 

I don't think scholarships are a problem. Players only get them while they are here.

If there was a way within the NIL to reward players for staying longer I'd like to see that happen. I support players having a lot more freedom to transfer but it does detract from the enjoyment of the sport when the roster is in constant flux.