'24 LB Offer: Brandon Jones; SOC: No Rating

UNTLifer

• 3 months later...

Brandon Jones combined average came in at .8703.  I believe that he was cheated.  Great speed and recognition.  Tackles last year...199.  He might be a few pounds light by the rankers standards but he definitely should have been a four star.  Well, he'll just have to be a first team All-American.  At the least, first team American Athletic Conference.  Go be great, Brandon!  You can do it!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Brandon Jones combined average came in at .8703.  I believe that he was cheated.  Great speed and recognition.  Tackles last year...199.  He might be a few pounds light by the rankers standards but he definitely should have been a four star.  Well, he'll just have to be a first team All-American.  At the least, first team American Athletic Conference.  Go be great, Brandon!  You can do it!

There are probably two factors causing this. First, he hasn't attended enough of the "right" camps. It seems that, especially with Rivals, plays a large part. Second, he committed to a G5, not a P5.

9 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Is that SOC's indoor practice facility in the background?  High schools can sure spend taxpayer money on athletics.

SOC does not have an indoor practice facility. (nor any other school in DISD) That practice was not at SOC and was not their team. Probably some sort of camp. I am hopeful that they will include IPFs in a bond package; to compete with suburban schools. Heard a discussion about 2 years ago that DISD would desire 4 IPFs throughout the city to support over 20 schools. 

A 2025 kid that is up to 30 offers, including the high majors. His recruitment is based more on hype than actual production (imho)

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Well, he has de-committed and is now committed to ULM.  Not sure what the story is here, but I would love to know.  I find it hard to believe that this was his decision.  He really hasn't shown up much lately in their box scores, so who knows.  This is a real problem if we are losing kids to Monroe.

https://247sports.com/Player/brandon-jones-46128570/

• RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

14 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Update:  Based on the thread in the football forum, we pulled the offer after his official visit. Something must have occurred that changed everything. 

This is gonna sound cruel, but maybe they saw something in person they didn’t like (that they didn’t or couldn’t see before).

a tangible, like size. Maybe he’s smaller than what he’s listed as?

an intangible, like attitude.

I have zero insight.  Just interesting to me about the timing of the pull. And his list was solid,  not just us but the others, and he chose….Monroe.  Something smells.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Update:  Did not sign his NLI with LA-Mo.  That points to a grades issue.  When will these kids learn to take care of the classroom first.

I think that was a decision to see if bigger schools would come back in January.  Just like last years LB who got Florida State late.  Grades typically aren't an issue for SOC kids, those coaches do a really good job with that.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Again, thanks for the update.  So, is this a result of the coaches at SOC giving him this advice?

Could be combination of that, or people in his ears.  The fact is every P5 in the country that visits DFW goes to SOC every time they fly in.  Same could be said for the other power players on that side of 20.

• Upvote 2

To be honest, he didn't really stand out to me in their state championship game.  I know this is only one game, but I he just looked like any other player.  Now, the CB Williams really stood out to me and I would believe that he is underrated.

12 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Too bad we don’t recruit down Port Neches Groves way.

Don't know if this was a joke or not considering the championship game but per my 247sports research, from the class of 2024 to class of 2027 there's only 2 Port Neches Groves players with FBS offers and we've offered both.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Don't know if this was a joke or not considering the championship game but per my 247sports research, from the class of 2024 to class of 2027 there's only 2 Port Neches Groves players with FBS offers and we've offered both.

Not a joke.  I was serious.  They have good players down there.  Big, beefy linemen.  UT seems to find some quality players down in Port Neches.  A few a t least.

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Not a joke.  I was serious.  They have good players down there.  Big, beefy linemen.  UT seems to find some quality players down in Port Neches.  A few a t least.

Yeah the two with offers are offensive linemen and one is warm to Texas.

https://247sports.com/Player/jackson-christian-46133748/

https://247sports.com/Player/aaron-wolford-46145738/

• Upvote 1