A List of chores Wren left Jared

Tom McKrackin

18 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

This is the reason you're a cynical delusional idiot who needs to step away for a while. 
Championship history:
image.png.ea08b4ab380705d87df0f69a8803c336.png

Miss me with this bullshit.

When was the last time the team scored a goal in the those 6 NCAA Appearances? Top 25 Win? 

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

20 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

This is the reason you're a cynical delusional idiot who needs to step away for a while. 
Championship history:

I understand the attachment to Hedlund, but he's teams have not met expectations the last couple of years.  Also, as mentioned above, we have score 0 goals in six NCAA appearances.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I understand the attachment to Hedlund, but he's teams have not met expectations the last couple of years.  Also, as mentioned above, we have score 0 goals in six NCAA appearances.

Appreciate the oourage of stating that @UNTLifer.  I am sure you will take some heat for it but it needed to be said.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

21 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

Championship history:

I totally understand why unt would never fire JH. Your post says it all. He wins. 

but I do understand the original poster’s sentiment. JH’s style of play is really just dirty soccer. And I don’t mean dirty as in cheap shots or anything. Soccer is called the Beautiful game but unt’s version of it is anything but. It is primarily long ball and kick ball that makes for it not being pretty. And against good teams when it matters most, we don’t do well. Which is why not only have we never won an NCAA tournament game (even against a few we should have like Tech and SMU), we looked TERRIBLE and got completely out-coached, out-athlete, out-everything in every single one of them. 

We keep him because in what world would you ever get rid of someone with the record he does… but we will forever and always be just the happy tournament participant and never an actual threat to win as long as we play his style of ball. 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Since we’re leaving CUSA soon and joining a new conference, let’s see how all of our sports fared in CUSA!

CUSA Championship Success

* 8 Championships - W Soccer

* 3 Championships - M Basketball 

* 3 Championships - Softball 

* 2 Championships - W Golf

* 1 Championship - Football 

* 1 Championship - M Golf

* 1 Championship - Volleyball 

* 1 Championship - M Cross Country

* 0 Championships - W Basketball 

* 0 Championships - Tennis 

* 0 Championships - Swim/Dive

* 0 Championships - M Track

* 0 Championships - W Track

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2022 at 2:55 PM, MeanGreen22 said:

Edit: I’d also like to see that tailgate area come to fruition. With the outlets and everything. Similar to what Baylor did. 

We can't get the frat groups in the stadium now, and you want to offer utilities?

Edited by rws69
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

Even in his "down years," Hedlund has his team in the top 2 in our conference. I'm ready to see where they land in the AAC. Until then, he's my guy. Soccer's so different than a lot of other sports where a CUSA champ is almost always going to visit the Big XII or SEC's very best (usually a top 10 type of program) in the first round of the post-season. We'll see what kind of draw the new AAC can manage to get.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, untbowler said:

When was the last time the team scored a goal in the those 6 NCAA Appearances? Top 25 Win? 

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

2 hours ago, Travis said:

but I do understand the original poster’s sentiment. JH’s style of play is really just dirty soccer. And I don’t mean dirty as in cheap shots or anything. Soccer is called the Beautiful game but unt’s version of it is anything but. It is primarily long ball and kick ball that makes for it not being pretty. And against good teams when it matters most, we don’t do well. Which is why not only have we never won an NCAA tournament game (even against a few we should have like Tech and SMU), we looked TERRIBLE and got completely out-coached, out-athlete, out-everything in every single one of them. 

We keep him because in what world would you ever get rid of someone with the record he does… but we will forever and always be just the happy tournament participant and never an actual threat to win as long as we play his style of ball. 

By all of your standards, we should've fired Grant McCasland before the 2021 NCAA Tournament. SMDH.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Travis said:

I totally understand why unt would never fire JH. Your post says it all. He wins. 

This sentiment keeps coming up whenever NT loses to some high-ranked P5 squad because we got shafted in the draw.

When you have the caliber of defenders we’ve had, and the strikers we’ve had over the past 2 decades, the quick counter, long ball style works best.  Not every team builds out from the back through a strong midfield like the “Beautiful Game” Brazilians.

Look at what Liverpool does with guys like Van Dijk & Konate in the back, and Salah & Sane (I know he’s not there anymore) up top.  If it works for an elite Premier League team, it can work for us.       
And it does.      
Really well.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

Maybe it changed, but in my day, the fraternities and sororities were the ones holding down tailgating and getting to the stadium when it mattered. Theta Chi member Jeff Kline was the university student president in 2010 pushing everyone hard for the vote on the stadium fee to get the damn thing built. only 13% of the student body voted in that vote and they won with a 18-point margin, in large part because greek life turned out for that vote. I wouldn't go blaming Greek life, my friend. 

As someone who was in Greek life at the time, I can confirm this was still the case in ~2017 when the AD proposed upping the student athletic fee. The increase, if I recall, resulted in about $2.5m+ annually in additional revenue. The university student president was a Chi Omega and she campaigned fiercely for the students to vote in favor of the increase. Only about 9% of students voted, and out of that group I believe over half were in Greek Life. It was their turnout and support that got the proposal passed despite several pockets of resistance from other groups on campus who didn't see the benefit in supporting the AD.

The Greeks are still our biggest on campus supporters (aside for the Maniacs - although I would be willing to bet most members, if not all, are in fraternities/sororities).

• Upvote 6

13 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I’m going to rephrase the Hedlund discussion into a football question. If Morris wins the AAC several years in a row and loses to Number 1 seed Georgia or Alabama in the first round of the new expanded playoffs each year, would you fire him?

Probably not until he starts loosing consistently or our recruiting is up in the top 10 and we aren't competing in playoffs with other programs with similar recruits.

• Eye Roll 1

19 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I’m going to rephrase the Hedlund discussion into a football question. If Morris wins the AAC several years in a row and loses to Number 1 seed Georgia or Alabama in the first round of the new expanded playoffs each year, would you fire him?

And then that 1 year when you have your best team & get a decent draw against a team that got streaky in the Big12 & didn’t really deserve their high seed… only to lose your QB (Jackie) to a freak accident injury during pregame warmups…. That 2015 squad was amazing.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This sentiment keeps coming up whenever NT loses to some high-ranked P5 squad because we got shafted in the draw.

When you have the caliber of defenders we’ve had, and the strikers we’ve had over the past 2 decades, the quick counter, long ball style works best.  Not every team builds out from the back through a strong midfield like the “Beautiful Game” Braziliacollegiate level

Look at what Liverpool does with guys like Van Dijk & Konate in the back, and Salah & Sane (I know he’s not there anymore) up top.  If it works for an elite Premier League team, it can work for us.       
And it does.      

Excellent post!  I will also add at the collegiate level the Arkansas Razorbacks are considered by most the top direct team out there for women’s soccer! This year they were one goal shy of advancing to the Final Four! They lost 1-0 to the #1 seed in the tournament Florida State in the Elite Eight! Game was in Tallahassee!

Edited by blurbeard

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

When you have the caliber of defenders we’ve had, and the strikers we’ve had over the past 2 decades, the quick counter, long ball style works best.  Not every team builds out from the back through a strong midfield like the “Beautiful Game” Brazilians.

And it does.      
Really well.

Quick counter is weak. Long ball is the easiest to defend. Which is why we never even get a shot off in those games. You can’t really argue with what has happened. 
and for what it’s worth, we don’t really have strikers. We probably haven’t had one since 2000-2002. 
building from the back is what champion teams do. No teams go deep into the tournament that are just long ball style. They all get knocked out in the first round. Argue all you want, but it is what it is.