Dominique Harrison
Carson Kropp
Amani Gilmore
Jordan Rucker
Sean-Thomas Faulkner
Ridge Texada
Greg Francis
Tommy Bush
Enoch Jackson (Gotta admit, I'm excited about this one)
Jace Ruder
Tyrae Thornton
John Davis
Logan Wilson
Jacob Farrell

Where are the difference-making transfers in here so far?

Then this year's transfers, whom we haven't seen yet...

I really feel like Kropp is going to be a force. I enjoyed watching him play special teams in the bowl game. The guy brings a lot of intensity.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I really feel like Kropp is going to be a force. I enjoyed watching him play special teams in the bowl game. The guy brings a lot of intensity.

Admittedly, the guys who weren't one(or less)-&-done have way more value.  And of those from last year, we're still not really sure what we have.  Enoch could be a huge contributor the next few years.  Ridge could really come on as well.   If Bush can get healthy, he obviously has the tools...   we don't know enough about them really.

But IMO, the transfer portal should be used to get instant-impact guys (similar to what JUCO used to be, and to an extent, still is), and those have been few & far between so far.   If we want to develop guys, we may as well get high school guys since they'll have more time to develop then contribute.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Easy:
D'Andre Plantin: Started his one year and was fine.
Nick Harvey: struggled
Dominique Harrison: struggled
Carson Kropp: Too early to tell
Amani Gilmore: Took Stoops word on this one and shouldn't have.
Jordan Rucker: Can't figure this kid out.
Sean-Thomas Faulkner: Started and played a majority of the snaps last year.
Ridge Texada: Could be a steal.  Appears to be our best cover corner.
Greg Francis: Not good
Tommy Bush: Broken leg in the second game of the season.  Too early to tell.
Enoch Jackson (Gotta admit, I'm excited about this one): but he hasn't done anything yet.
Jace Ruder: Pushed into the starting role.  I expect big things from Jace this year.  Hope I am not wrong.
Tyrae Thornton: bust
John Davis: Started a lot.
Logan Wilson: Ehh
Jacob Farrell: Kid had issues that pushed him here and then out of here.

Notes by each player.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Notes by each player.

Oh, I'm aware of the excuses and whatnot.    Still looking for the instant impact guys.  You can say Plantin (just 1 year though), Davis (inconsistent), Texada (out of necessity) have "contributed", but aren't the kinds of guys that are impact players we need to acquire out of the portal.

Also... need to check who the guy was in front of Faulkner (not to mention... Faulkner's play was pretty awful, especially in the bowl game).  You short-changed him pretty hard there considering he played here for 5 years and was a captain & emotional leader of the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Notice how we all have opinions?  You like E. Jackson, but he hasn't played alot.  I would also separate past grad transfers/traditional transfers from the kids in the transfer portal.  Totally different deal now.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Notice how we all have opinions?  You like E. Jackson, but he hasn't played.  I would also separate past grad transfers/traditional transfers from the kids in the transfer portal.  Totally different deal now.

Are you trolling?

Jackson played a ton.   He was running 2nd string behind Colvin from game 1!   And he played well!
Were you watching?  
https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/enoch-jackson/5526

2021:
• Totaled 19 tackles, two TFLs and 1.5 sacks over 13 appearances

I'm in no way going to say Jackson is going to step right in and replace Novil.   But I will say, between Jackson & Brown (if they stay), our interior defensive line starters are still very-much-so a strength of the team.

Also, I only included the transfers we got out of the portal, which started in 2018 (Plantin, Harvey, & Harrison).  The same year SMU pulled Buechele out of Austin...  you know, the kind of guy we'd both consider an instant-impact guy.   
Prior to that, our instant-impact guys were coming from JUCO: Kemon Hall, Jaylen Guyton, DeAndre Torrey, etc...  we weren't really going for the 1-year grad transfers.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Easy:
D'Andre Plantin
Nick Harvey
Dominique Harrison
Carson Kropp
Amani Gilmore
Jordan Rucker
Sean-Thomas Faulkner
Ridge Texada
Greg Francis
Tommy Bush
Enoch Jackson (Gotta admit, I'm excited about this one)
Jace Ruder
Tyrae Thornton
John Davis
Logan Wilson
Jacob Farrell

Out of this list, Logan Wilson and Enoch Jackson have the highest upside.

• Upvote 1