UTA becomes fourth "Texas Tier One" University

We are lagging behind. UTSA is on track to be the next. Smatresk and every useless Chancellor we have had should explain why!

The University of Texas at El Paso spent more than $45 million on research in 2019 and 2020, but met just one of the other four necessary criteria to qualify. It does not have the potential to reach those criteria in 2021. Texas State University and the University of North Texas did not meet the research spending threshold in 2020, and neither are on track to reach it in 2021 either, the report stated.

UT-Arlington achieves "Texas Tier One" status | The Texas Tribune

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

32 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You did not read the article. This is not Carneigie Tier One. We are losing out on State Research Funds. We are behind Texas Tech, UH, UTA, UTD, UTSA,  and UTEP.  Tied for last with Texas State. 

UT and A%M are not in competition with the 8 named institutions. This is ranking the best of the rest in the State of Texas. 

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

You did not read the article. This is not Carneigie Tier One. We are losing out on State Research Funds. We are behind Texas Tech, UH, UTA, UTD, UTSA,  and UTEP.  Tied for last with Texas State. 

UT and A%M are not in competition with the 8 named institutions. This is ranking the best of the rest in the State of Texas. 

So the standard for “Carnegie Tier-one” is that there is no universally accepted standard but overall "tier one" schools are expected to bring in at least $100 million per year in research grants, plus have selective admissions and high-quality faculty. Another common measuring stick is membership in the prestigious, invitation-only American Association of Universities. Currently, UT-Austin, A&M and Rice are widely considered to be tier one. The University of Houston also frequently claims that designation based on its top Carnegie ranking, though it isn't a member of AAU. This “Texas tier-one” seems like a meh….spend at least 45 million for two years along with 4-6 other milestones to receive 6.2 million in state funds. Don’t know what those milestones are but it could be the squeeze isn’t worth the juice. UTA calling 6.2 million a game changer is just them blowing up their own tires. I’m not sweating it. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

So the standard for “Carnegie Tier-one” is that there is no universally accepted standard but overall "tier one" schools are expected to bring in at least $100 million per year in research grants, plus have selective admissions and high-quality faculty. Another common measuring stick is membership in the prestigious, invitation-only American Association of Universities. Currently, UT-Austin, A&M and Rice are widely considered to be tier one. The University of Houston also frequently claims that designation based on its top Carnegie ranking, though it isn't a member of AAU. This “Texas tier-one” seems like a meh….spend at least 45 million for two years along with 4-6 other milestones to receive 6.2 million in state funds. Don’t know what those milestones are but it could be the squeeze isn’t worth the juice. UTA calling 6.2 million a game changer is just them blowing up their own tires. I’m not sweating it. 

Read subchapter G.  

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/ED/htm/ED.62.htm#62.123

Read the Legislative Report

National Research University Fund Eligibility (texas.gov) Some of the stats compared to UTSA are embarrassing.

Tell me where you can get a guaranteed $6.1 Million return on a $90 Million investment(over two years)? The fund pays yearly after you qualify.  This board is giddy over far lesser sums and donations (ex $20 million total paid out over years).

Sec. 62.148. DISTRIBUTION OF APPROPRIATED FUNDS TO ELIGIBLE INSTITUTIONS. (a) In each state fiscal year, the comptroller shall distribute to eligible institutions in accordance with this section money appropriated from the fund for that fiscal year.

This is a big deal. Every President and BOR of these 8 institutions knows so. 

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1

3 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Read subchapter G.  

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/ED/htm/ED.62.htm#62.123

Read the Legislative Report

National Research University Fund Eligibility (texas.gov) Some of the stats compared to UTSA are embarrassing.

Tell me where you can get a guaranteed $6.1 Million return on a $90 Million investment(over two years)? The fund pays yearly after you qualify.  This board is giddy over far lesser sums and donations (ex $20 million total paid out over years).

Sec. 62.148. DISTRIBUTION OF APPROPRIATED FUNDS TO ELIGIBLE INSTITUTIONS. (a) In each state fiscal year, the comptroller shall distribute to eligible institutions in accordance with this section money appropriated from the fund for that fiscal year.

This is a big deal. Every President and BOR of these 8 institutions knows so. 

If you think I’m going to waste my time reading a legislative report then you’re on drugs. You think it’s a big deal? Ok. I don’t, I’ve never heard of a Texas tier one school until you brought it up. You spent time looking that stuff up to prove your point? Good on you my man. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1