Has the Corona Virus infected anyone you know?

1 hour ago, THOR said:

i'm all for opening up everything...i went to fuzzys in denton today just to have a few beers at the bar, it was glorious!  i also am still getting paid and am in no fear of not getting paid.  maybe i'm an outlier, but i'm employed, young(ish), no underlying conditions, so i have no worry about being out and about...i will and have been out everyday since this started.  i really don't see the issue for younger/no underlying condition people.  they can work and need to work.

Being young and healthy is not a guarantee, but the odds are in your favor.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, THOR said:

i'm all for opening up everything...i went to fuzzys in denton today just to have a few beers at the bar, it was glorious!  i also am still getting paid and am in no fear of not getting paid.  maybe i'm an outlier, but i'm employed, young(ish), no underlying conditions, so i have no worry about being out and about...i will and have been out everyday since this started.  i really don't see the issue for younger/no underlying condition people.  they can work and need to work.

Connecticut is still pretty much closed up, but you wouldn’t know it except for the unfortunate small businesses that weren’t “essential” or could not quickly adapt to the take out/delivery model.  I was at Home Depot yesterday and the parking lot was full and everyone and their mother was shopping in the store.  Everyone was required to wear a facial covering (mask, bandana, whatever). 

If it turns out all we needed to do was protect the known vulnerable groups and wear masks in public then some people have a lot of explaining to do, because I’m pretty sure the virus is just as infectious now as it was six weeks ago.  

Here’s the weird observation about masks.  First we were told that masks were not necessary and that they were not a defense against contracting the disease or that they would give us a false sense of security.  We absolutely shouldn’t go out and buy masks because they were needed by the medical community (I didn’t know hospitals bought their supplies at Home Depot too).  Anyway, now we are told that if we go out in public, we *must* wear a mask to prevent spreading the disease (i.e. to strangers who we must stay a minimum of 6 feet away from and pass by in a second or two), but we *don’t* have to wear masks at home where we are in close contact with our loved ones who we would most likely infect because of our prolonged close interaction with in a relatively confined space. 

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, keith said:

Connecticut is still pretty much closed up, but you wouldn’t know it except for the unfortunate small businesses that weren’t “essential” or could not quickly adapt to the take out/delivery model.  I was at Home Depot yesterday and the parking lot was full and everyone and their mother was shopping in the store.  Everyone was required to wear a facial covering (mask, bandana, whatever). 

If it turns out all we needed to do was protect the known vulnerable groups and wear masks in public then some people have a lot of explaining to do, because I’m pretty sure the virus is just as infectious now as it was six weeks ago.  

Here’s the weird observation about masks.  First we were told that masks were not necessary and that they were not a defense against contracting the disease or that they would give us a false sense of security.  We absolutely shouldn’t go out and buy masks because they were needed by the medical community (I didn’t know hospitals bought their supplies at Home Depot too).  Anyway, now we are told that if we go out in public, we *must* wear a mask to prevent spreading the disease (i.e. to strangers who we must stay a minimum of 6 feet away from and pass by in a second or two), but we *don’t* have to wear masks at home where we are in close contact with our loved ones who we would most likely infect because of our prolonged close interaction with in a relatively confined space. 

I still don't think the masks offer that much protection.  https://www.livescience.com/are-face-masks-effective-reducing-coronavirus-spread.html

Basically, they might help slightly.

As far as wearing masks in public versus at home...the reason they tell you not to wear them at home is because they know that no one actually will.  In public peer pressure, etc might get people to wear them.

As an addendum...Home Depot's in California are pretty locked down.  I too went a few days ago and they basically only let 100 people total in the store at a time...so there was a LOT of open space considering the size of the store.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, THOR said:

the odds are in favor of everyone

The odds were in people's favor during 1918-1919 too.  I mean only 675,000 died out of a population of roughly 100 million.  Didn't mean it wasn't horrific.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, CMJ said:

The odds were in people's favor during 1918-1919 too.  I mean only 675,000 died out of a population of roughly 100 million.  Didn't mean it wasn't horrific.

dude, i was just replying to him.  the odds are in our favor, that doesn't mean people won't die...common sense....so .675% of the population died...not a great argument for shutting everything down, especially when you see that the huge majority that are dying are above 70 and have underlying condition.  young folks need to get out and work and open things up

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

12 minutes ago, THOR said:

dude, i was just replying to him.  the odds are in our favor, that doesn't mean people won't die...common sense....so .675% of the population died...not a great argument for shutting everything down, especially when you see that the huge majority that are dying are above 70 and have underlying condition.  young folks need to get out and work and open things up

Of course most places closed everything down then when it was getting out of hand.  October 1918, 195K died that month (so roughly 600K today if you adjust for population) and people thought society itself might break down.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

9 minutes ago, THOR said:

Mortality rate is a very limited view of a pandemic, especially why we shelter in place.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Mortality rate is a very limited view of a pandemic, especially why we shelter in place.

i know that, but everyone seems to be pointing to the death toll

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

8 minutes ago, THOR said:

i know that, but everyone seems to be pointing to the death toll

Based on what I see on social media, you're right.  And it's unfortunate.  A ton of people - especially young and healthy - don't "feel" the weight of this threat.  For the most part, you don't see it impacting those around you.  It's not an imminent threat on your own life, or most of the people around you.

Unlike wartime, it's very difficult to get people/communities to unite together for a pandemic.  The threat is hidden and quite complex.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I asked FROM Covid19,...........not WITH Covid19?

Rick

Yeah, me too.  Looking at excess deaths, something is causing it.

Though I guess if you want to be technical no one dies of ANYTHING but cardiac arrest, since that is what actually kills everyone.  Even a decapitation technically dies from cardiac arrest.  

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

I don't understand why there isn't a stronger public outcry for testing.  Everyone seems content to pick on Trump for his speeches or get into pissing matches about who has better stats and information.

I know the CDC screwed up an initial wave of testing supplies but, come on!, wasn't that nearly 2 months ago?

• Upvote 4

Well, what's your reasoning behind the thousands of unaccounted for deaths then Rick?  

You just don't wanna admit you're wrong.  Your predictions for this haven't exactly been the best.  Over a month ago you didn't think deaths would get anywhere near 100K when I said they would.  Guess what - they are.  Now you claim the deaths are all made up because you can't say you're wrong.  

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, CMJ said:

Now you claim the deaths are all made up because you can't say you're wrong.  

I have never made such a claim.

Your the one that’s keeping a tight eye on the tally and now knows that it is..”more than we’re being told”.

So I’ll ask again.  How many of the 65k were FROM Covid19?

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

How many?  All those and more.  I guess the real death toll from the disease is at least 75K in the States.  Probably higher.  I mean my grandparents are in great shape even though they're in their mid 80's.  If they caught this tomorrow and died in a few weeks, sure some could belittle their deaths and say they had a foot in the grave anyway, but I bet my grandfather lives at least another ten years all things being equal.  My mother is a breast cancer survivor, but still in excellent condition. She still dances several days a week, but if the suggestion is that if she dies, her death wasn't from this disease but because she had a shattered immune system from cancer - I'd take issue with that.  She has better overall health than many people MY age.

As far as never making that claim...maybe not in exact quotes, but at the very least you've implied as much.  Practically everything since when I suggested the death toll would be much higher than we're gonna be prepared to handle and you chose the 12K-75K range (12K being the generally assumed H1N1 death figure to 75K - which was a number I saw for the 2017-2018 flu season).   That was over a month ago if I recall.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1