JJ interested in ULL job ?

MeanGreen61

Very interesting. I think JJ has a fondness for Southern Louisiana since he played and coached there. I don't know that he would throw his name in there unless asked to. Is that considered a promotion to go to another conference school? JJ's record at UNT may not be as sparkling as they want for a new experienced coach. We'll see.

Given the support that Johnny has gotten from the athletic administration, I would not blame him for going. As I have stated before, this administration has determined that football is the darling of the ball and has little attention left for basketball.

What the hell are you talking about? No support from the athletics dept.?! They got Jones a contract extension through 2008 approved after the team slid backward and only won seven games season before last. I think he's got as much support as RV can afford to give him.

JJ grew up in DeRidder, which is about 100 miles WNW of Lafayette. It's a little more like north Louisiana or east Texas than south Louisiana. He'd be about three hours or so closer to home than in Denton but he seems pretty happy where he is.

It's possible that the may have put some feelers out but my guess is that UL-Lafayette, knowing his Louisiana roots, contacted him.

JJ grew up in DeRidder, which is about 100 miles WNW of Lafayette.  It's a little more like north Louisiana or east Texas than south Louisiana.  He'd be about three hours or so closer to home than in Denton but he seems pretty happy where he is. 

It's possible that the may have put some feelers out but my guess is that UL-Lafayette, knowing his Louisiana roots, contacted him.

I was thinking more of Baton Rouge where he played and coached at LSU.

It's true that Johnny lived in Baton Rouge off and on for about fifteen or more years but I don't think that he has any family there. He probably does have a lot of friends there but I don't know that would be enough motivation for him to leave. Now money, that would be move anyone if there's a big difference.

I think he is doing alot better than the last coach. If Tic Vrilli were still here we would have been as bad as FIU last year. Johnny is in the process of rebuilding and building the team at the same time. I would like to see what our team does over the next 2 years. I smell an SBC championship and an NCAA tournament spot.

Trilli could recruit, but he could not coach. JJ can both recruit and coach. He is an upcoming star in college basketball coaching circles.