I hate to say it...

NTSU52

Just now, greenminer said:

I think a new DC could be refreshing, but II have concerns that the struggles will continue.

The struggles would continue, but I think if you replace him, you send a message that you are committed to winning and that it's not just players that are being held accountable, but coaches as well. When a company is not doing well, you don't say well it's too late in the fiscal year to change. You make that change and hope that the impact is immediate, but you clearly say you are committed to improving for the future.

• Upvote 2

So next year, we play Houston Baptist to open the season. So that’s our one OOC win—the FCS spare game that doesn’t help you one bit. Just as beating ACU didn’t help us one bit when playing anyone else,  similar to wins in the past over Texas Southern, Nicholls State, and Bethune-Cookman, so it will probably be with playing Houston Baptist. Another dumb FCS opponent that doesn’t help you at all...similar to a Pacific Northwest squad that gave us the worst loss in modern college football history.

SMU, UH, and A&M will be brutal. Not one of these will be close. Our defense isn’t improving in one year at a level that is big enough to compete with these kinds of teams. Mix in a new QB as well, and I can tell you that 6 wins would be a reach right now. I think Rice is improving here in CUSA West, but the UT satellites are thankfully still here, so that should be 2 wins. Depending on who we get in CUSA East play, it seems like 3-5 wins is to be expected for 2020. You homers can neg this all you want, but to realistically expect next year to be better than this one is just not based in reality. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

59 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

So next year, we play Houston Baptist to open the season. So that’s our one OOC win—the FCS spare game that doesn’t help you one bit. Just as beating ACU didn’t help us one bit when playing anyone else,  similar to wins in the past over Texas Southern, Nicholls State, and Bethune-Cookman, so it will probably be with playing Houston Baptist. Another dumb FCS opponent that doesn’t help you at all...similar to a Pacific Northwest squad that gave us the worst loss in modern college football history.

SMU, UH, and A&M will be brutal. Not one of these will be close. Our defense isn’t improving in one year at a level that is big enough to compete with these kinds of teams. Mix in a new QB as well, and I can tell you that 6 wins would be a reach right now. I think Rice is improving here in CUSA West, but the UT satellites are thankfully still here, so that should be 2 wins. Depending on who we get in CUSA East play, it seems like 3-5 wins is to be expected for 2020. You homers can neg this all you want, but to realistically expect next year to be better than this one is just not based in reality. 

bingo GIF

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

So next year, we play Houston Baptist to open the season. So that’s our one OOC win—the FCS spare game that doesn’t help you one bit.

I don't think anyone would have helped us beat SMU or Houston.  And I think the ACU game would have been fine if we were at least competitive in OOC (outside of Cal).  

I've heard everything over the years about OOC.  That these spare wins aren't helping.  That getting ass-whipped by a top 10 area/local program ain't helping.

This is really a story of a frustrated fanbase that is tired of things not going their way, and I don't blame'm.  We continually shoot ourselves in the foot, and the ongoing presence of Reff is a perfect example of that.

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I don't think anyone would have helped us beat SMU or Houston.  And I think the ACU game would have been fine if we were at least competitive in OOC (outside of Cal).  

I've heard everything over the years about OOC.  That these spare wins aren't helping.  That getting ass-whipped by a top 10 area/local program ain't helping.

This is really a story of a frustrated fanbase that is tired of things not going their way, and I don't blame'm.  We continually shoot ourselves in the foot, and the ongoing presence of Reff is a perfect example of that.

So here’s my take on OOC play:

1.) Schedule a local series—the SMU series is great and makes for lots of good attendance.

2.) Schedule two G5’s for home and home series that will travel —one Upper G5 (like UH) and one Lower G5 (Texas State)

3.) Schedule a series with BYU. It doesn’t seem that hard. I’d almost bet you anything that BYU would Schedule a long series here just to play in Texas. Especially later in the year. 

4.) If you have to schedule a body bag game, play against a team from the PAC-12, the B1G, or the ACC Northern Teams—IOW, avoid any southern teams that have lots of talent. It took Arkansas to look like a bad G5 program to finally win one of the games, as usually they have been ass-whippings. When we lose to UT, A&M, OU, LSU, usually Arkansas, etc...it’s even worse because most of our fans choose these teams as their t-shirt teams. Never should we play anyone from a P5 conference that is south of the line from Kansas to North Carolina. So basically, don’t play anyone in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, or South Carolina or south (except Vanderbilt).

5.) Never play a FCS team. There’s nothing to gain from these games. It costs money to buy them here. Nobody gives a crap about them from the fanbase you are needing to build from. They don’t help you with competing against actual FBS teams but you take on the risks of getting players hurt and possibly losing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1