Grade The Mccasland Hire - End of 1st Non-Conf. Sch.

BillySee58

Grade The Mccasland Hire - After 1st Non-Conf. Sch.  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Mccasland Hire Grade

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, GrandGreen said:

Just do a little research, there are a lot of articles about the turnover in college basketball of underclassmen.   

No doubt there are. But the growth everyone writes about came from grad transfers. While I could you research on a lot of topics, this isn't one. A 2.6 GPA and the transfer doesn't count. Under 2.6 and you take an APR hit. I read in one of the UNT SD reports that GPA for all UNT  athletes is around 2.8 or 2.9. So MBB is probably well beneath that (making an assumption golf, tennis, etc bring up the average). NCAA says we are 958. https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/aprsearch

That's the lowest sport. I think 940 is the cutline. Anything under 940 is postseason ban, loss of scholarships, etc.  The way it's figured, we don't have a lot of room to play with.

FWI, I'm not disagreeing we could do better than a couple guys. I agree with you there. I'm just saying, that our APR is already on the boarder line so wholesale changes aren't possible unless this team is killing it in the classroom which isn't likely.

3 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

No doubt there are. But the growth everyone writes about came from grad transfers. While I could you research on a lot of topics, this isn't one. A 2.6 GPA and the transfer doesn't count. Under 2.6 and you take an APR hit. I read in one of the UNT SD reports that GPA for all UNT  athletes is around 2.8 or 2.9. So MBB is probably well beneath that (making an assumption golf, tennis, etc bring up the average). NCAA says we are 958. https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/aprsearch

That's the lowest sport. I think 940 is the cutline. Anything under 940 is postseason ban, loss of scholarships, etc.  The way it's figured, we don't have a lot of room to play with.

FWI, I'm not disagreeing we could do better than a couple guys. I agree with you there. I'm just saying, that our APR is already on the boarder line so wholesale changes aren't possible unless this team is killing it in the classroom which isn't likely.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-transfer-division-i-men-s-basketball

From the above article: 

• "That said, about 40% of all MBB players who enter Division I directly out of high school depart their initial school by the end of their sophomore year."   
  • It doesn't appear that the APR is a significant factor, and graduate transfers obviously do not factor in this statistic. 
Edited by GrandGreen