what if they had a game....

dentUNiTe

...and no cheerleaders showed up?

I'm sorry, I'm an alum and must have missed this....when did we discontinue the cheerleader program?

Good question. I think if they can't get at least six cheerleaders to show up for every game, they just need to tell the chearleaders not to show up at all. They obviously don't care about basketball, so don't make two go and make us look bad. Give a couple of more spirited fans like Emmitt a megaphone and they can start chants.

I thought I was the only person that noticed. Our cheerleaders are worthless. They don't lead cheers. They only (sometimes) react to the yells that the fans start. It was fun last night to here the NORTH/TEXAS cheer. Why is it that the UNT dancers are always there in full force, but the non-cheerleaders are somewhere else. If this is such a commuter school, then why can't they commute to the Pit for a scheduled game. Is there any requirement of cheerleaders to actually attend the games?

Is there any requirement of cheerleaders to actually attend the games?

I don't think so because it is usually the same ones that keep coming to games. Others have not been to a game all season.

I think if they can't get at least six cheerleaders to show up for every game, they just need to tell the chearleaders not to show up at all. They obviously don't care about basketball, so don't make two go and make us look bad. Give a couple of more spirited fans like Emmitt a megaphone and they can start chants.

I agree whole-heartedly with all of you. My friends and I always joke about there only being 3 cheerleaders at the game, they don't even yell that loud. I heard Andy Blount yelling from where he was at (down by the goal with the other players) and I was sitting in the mid-part of the student section. That's just ridiculous. They should support the Mean Green teams not matter what.

I think it is interesting how all of the focus is being placed on the cheerleaders and not on the beloved Scrappy. The cheerleaders I know cheer when they are there and cheer with intensity. The problem I have seen them encounter is lack of crowd participation when they are trying to lead a cheer. Instead of dividing the noise into seperate cheers and chants, make a unified noise which is a much more powerful thing to do.

GMG!

I think it is interesting how all of the focus is being placed on the cheerleaders and not on the beloved Scrappy.  The cheerleaders I know cheer when they are there and cheer with intensity.  The problem I have seen them encounter is lack of crowd participation when they are trying to lead a cheer.  Instead of dividing the noise into seperate cheers and chants, make a unified noise which is a much more powerful thing to do.

GMG!

What the heck are you talking about? How can two cheerleaders cheer with intensity from all the way across the court. If there were 8 or 10 cheerleaders down there trying to start cheers and cheering loudly so we could hear them that is one thing. Having TWO cheerleaders on their knees playing pattycake or whatever the hell their are doing is completely different.

LACK OF CROWD PARTICIPATION?! It is the crowd who starts 95% of the cheers!

Seriously, have you been to games this season or are you just trolling?

The problem I have seen them encounter is lack of crowd participation when they are trying to lead a cheer.

Obviously you are affiliated with cheerleaders somehow, because the above statement is laughable. I appreciate that they are awesome gymnasts and win contests on TV, that is great publicity to a demographic I cannot relate to, but to say that blaming cheerleaders shouldn't be done when TWO came to a basketball game is just silly.

Yes I am a cheerleader and I have been to all the games I was scheduled to cheer and even some more. The lack of crowd participation is a factor. When I am down on the court and the only people yelling defense are us and the players, there is a problem. I can count numerous times where this has occured. Also leading cheers, I will say there are about 10 people max that follow the cheers the cheerleaders do, other than when we are doing defense. I want to give you a challenge. When the cheerleaders are cheering, cheer with them. Don't bitch and say they are not doing anything when your lack of participation is not encouraging them to do otherwise.

GMG!

Yes I am a cheerleader and I have been to all the games I was scheduled to cheer and even some more.  The lack of crowd participation is a factor.  When I am down on the court and the only people yelling defense are us and the players, there is a problem.  I can count numerous times where this has occured.  Also leading cheers, I will say there are about 10 people max that follow the cheers the cheerleaders do, other than when we are doing defense.  I want to give you a challenge.  When the cheerleaders are cheering, cheer with them.  Don't bitch and say they are not doing anything when your lack of participation is not encouraging them to do otherwise.

GMG!

Read my reply to your first post again please.

Yes I am a cheerleader and I have been to all the games I was scheduled to cheer and even some more.  The lack of crowd participation is a factor.  When I am down on the court and the only people yelling defense are us and the players, there is a problem.  I can count numerous times where this has occured.  Also leading cheers, I will say there are about 10 people max that follow the cheers the cheerleaders do, other than when we are doing defense.  I want to give you a challenge.  When the cheerleaders are cheering, cheer with them.  Don't bitch and say they are not doing anything when your lack of participation is not encouraging them to do otherwise.

GMG!

CO Green, this is unrelated but I just have to mention it now that I might have a cheerleader that will listen.

Not sure if you are a football cheerleader but when North Texas is on offense..............keep the cheers to a minimum. When we are on Defense (say...........3rd and short), get that crowd on its feet and pumped!! Somehow it has gotten backwards. Thank you.

I am not attacking anyone personally, but I have to ask this question. Since when do all the cheerleaders not have to be at the games? I will admit that I have not been to a game in a while, but as a kid, I always remember all of the cheerleaders and Scrappy at the games. And as a cheerleader, didn't these people choose this activity to support the athletic teams of the university?

GMG!

I am not aware of cheerleader policies, as I'm sure most of this board aren't either. Would you mind informing us about attendance policies for the games? Thanks smile.gif

Oh, and in your opinion, do you think that the students have actively participated in the games more this season than previous seasons?

I beginning to think that our Cheerleaders are here to look good and win competitions, and they really don't care about cheering at football and basketball games. I hate to admit this fact, but after the bowl game and now seeing only two cheerleaders show up for a great basketball game pretty much makes this a fact.

I beginning to think that our Cheerleaders are here to look good and win competitions, and they really don't care about cheering at football and basketball games.  I hate to admit this fact, but after the bowl game and now seeing only two cheerleaders show up for a great basketball game pretty much makes this a fact.

Well put CAV, I feel the same way.

GMG!

Are you as blind and deaf as the Refs? Have you been to a game lately? You say you go to the one's you are scheduled for..... Have you been scheduled for a game this year? Our group of students splits itself up and sends some of us over to the other side so that we can coordinate the cheers across the Pit. Maybe we could give you lessons sometime? It's really not that hard. The players do a better job of getting the crowd pumped than the cheerleaders. Then again, the players show up to the games.

Thank you so much all for your responses. I will try to address each person individually.

E-Bone: You said that the crowd starts 95% of the cheers. I will have to object. I can't recall the last time "Boing-Boing-Pass" was considered a cheer. A cheer needs words and the only words I hear coming from the crowd is Defense.

Zeke: Thanks for your input. This did not go unnoticed. We tried not doing the "North Texas" during offense but when our coach or the athletic department tells us to do it, we do it. I thank you for your concern but I do hope that you don't expect the crowd to sit idly by when we are on offense and only get up and get excited when we are on defense. The team needs the crowds support 100% of the time. I am sure you understand it but I am sure there are some other people out there who don't understand it.

Greenjoe: While we are cheerleaders, it is not in the interest of the athletic department for us to spread out and move around the stadium. We lead the cheers from the floor like we did during football, from the track, and we expect the crowd to participate. If you would like this to change you are more than welcome to contact Paul Batchelder in Athletics and give him your input.

UNT Lifer: The games are not optional. While it has not been shown recently through the presence (or lack thereof) of Scrappy and some cheerleaders, I assure you these games are mandatory. There are however, a few number of people who are not as committed as others and sadly, do not take their committments seriously. The problem comes in trying to discipline these students. While it would be nice to just kick them off the sqaud, that really does nothing as far as solving the problem of cheerleaders not showing up to games. Those who are kicked off are no longer available for the remote possibility of them showing up to a game and now you have to do more with less. All of these students did make the choice to be apart of the organization but that doesn't mean life stops just for the organization. Alot of the cheerleaders are not appearing due to work committments that they cannot compromise.

UNT Angel4: The current policy is 3 strikes and you are out. If you miss 3 games unexcused then you are off the team. I believe the students have participated a lot more this season than last season and each year I just look forward to it getting better and better.

bigrobdsp: Please don't do that, I think speak for everyone when I say that. There are a lot of things that should just remain unseen. ph34r.gif

CAV, Iron Man 4: While I agree that current behavior speaks towards some of the cheerleader's attitudes towards basketball, I am unaware why football was also lumped into there as well. If you could let me know I would very much appreciate it. smile.gif

MeanGreenQueen: I have been to a lot of games this year, thank you very much for asking. smile.gif Like I asked E-Bone, when did "Boing-Boing-Pass" become a cheer? I thank you for your offer to teach the cheerleaders how to cheer but I think we got it covered. Oh, you are right when you say the players show up to the game, but the players are also paid to show up to the game.

To All: I know this is a long post but I know most of you true GoMeanGreeners have read every word of it, picking it apart for things to say back. I will give you a head start. On the cheerleading squad there are people who don't take their committment seriously and ruin it for those who do. I will be the first person to say there is a problem with cheerleaders showing up to cheer the games they have been assigned to. But when the cheerleaders are there, cheer with them. It will make the SuperPit a very exciting place to be indeed.