STUDENTS!!

Ryan Munthe

21 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

That's kinda old news.  The UNT police started handing out underage drinking and PI tickets to the fraternities and their shenanigans have substantially curtailed.  

Seems like the overall greek participation is way down this year. Even during the bad DMac years, pregame festivities seemed to be better attended than they have been this year.

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Seems like the overall greek participation is way down this year. Even during the bad DMac years, pregame festivities seemed to be better attended than they have been this year.

The UNT police have this little police golf cart outfitted with little police golf cart flashy lights on top.  

I have on more than one occasion watched them make quite the spectacle of cuffing some frat kid and carting him away in their little flashy light police golf cart mobile.  

If I were an underage frat boy, that would send a pretty strong message to me to take my underage frat boy activities behind closed doors.  

Outside football, UNT/greek relations seem to be a little strained on the whole alcohol thing in recent years.  Opine as you will, but the realities of modern litigious society has compelled universities to push their Greek organizations toward being conglomerates of choir boys. This does not encourage attendance at athletic events in plain sight of the public eye. 

• Downvote 1

Some of these are ideas for the future...

1. Win or lose, fireworks show after the game.  Market a fireworks show, and it'll bring people.  Someone tweet WB...

2. Just give away 3000+ Wing Zone seats.  That thing needs to be 50% full since the game will be on TV

3. All Denton-ISD kids showing ID at gate, let them in free, -OR- let them pick up General Admission tix at school, along with a coupon for a free hot dog/popcorn/drink/something.   In fact, yearly,  there should be a "Denton-ISD Day" to help promote this.  Honor a teacher during one of the time outs, etc etc.   This get butts in the seats.  It finally helps to bridge that disconnect between UNT and The City of Denton residents, that always seems to be improbable. 

4. Whichever Denton-HS football team won district the previous year, bring that team on the field during a time out/end of quarter to be recognized.   Give those kids free tix, along with their parents, etc etc. if UNT wants to have better recruiting from those schools, UNT is going to have to show some love for these local schools.  Many of the Denton kids seem to have attitude they aren't going to even consider UNT, even if they want to walk on somewhere.   

9 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

Some of these are ideas for the future...

1. Win or lose, fireworks show after the game.  Market a fireworks show, and it'll bring people.  Someone tweet WB...

2. Just give away 3000+ Wing Zone seats.  That thing needs to be 50% full since the game will be on TV

3. All Denton-ISD kids showing ID at gate, let them in free, -OR- let them pick up General Admission tix at school, along with a coupon for a free hot dog/popcorn/drink/something.   In fact, yearly,  there should be a "Denton-ISD Day" to help promote this.  Honor a teacher during one of the time outs, etc etc.   This get butts in the seats.  It finally helps to bridge that disconnect between UNT and The City of Denton residents, that always seems to be improbable. 

4. Whichever Denton-HS football team won district the previous year, bring that team on the field during a time out/end of quarter to be recognized.   Give those kids free tix, along with their parents, etc etc. if UNT wants to have better recruiting from those schools, UNT is going to have to show some love for these local schools.  Many of the Denton kids seem to have attitude they aren't going to even consider UNT, even if they want to walk on somewhere.   

Heads in the right place. But just dumping thousands of free tickets out there doesn't seem like the best idea. 

I will say though. They need to fix that free student ticket app. It doesn't work well. Why can't we just show an ID and get a ticket? 

11 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Were you around for the fireworks of shame during the Dodge years over at Fouts? 

I was indeed.  And someone always inevitably  says "well, if you lose the game, and have a fire works show, it's as if you're celebrating a loss...".  

I get the viewpoint, but respectfully disagree.   Both Texas Rangers and Frisco Roughriders have always fireworks after certain games, win or lose, period.   Nobody will have a pyro company set everything up, and if the home team loses, tell them to call it off and pack up and go home.   Back when Dodges team got whipped continuously, I normally would've bailed, but the ONLY reason we stuck around was to go on the field and see a fireworks show.  

If you win, it helps with the celebration. If you lose, it's a silver lining to a bad evening.  

• Downvote 1

11 hours ago, vpackrats said:

Dale Hansen might not have time to mention UNT.   Too busy using his allotted time for ridiculous and grandiose "Dale Hansen editorials" instead of sticking to actual sports.

6 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I think if you think UNT students watch Dale Hansen I think you are very disconnected  to student life.  Especially the undergraduates that are usually more engaged in recreational student activities. A Dale Hansen would be nice but definitely not impactful to students.  Just like the NT Daily a nice mention but is the message really reaching the students?

The contacting of Hanson's production team wasn't to get students attention, it was to get the attention of alumni in DFW... 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

The UNT police have this little police golf cart outfitted with little police golf cart flashy lights on top.  

I have on more than one occasion watched them make quite the spectacle of cuffing some frat kid and carting him away in their little flashy light police golf cart mobile.  

If I were an underage frat boy, that would send a pretty strong message to me to take my underage frat boy activities behind closed doors.  

Outside football, UNT/greek relations seem to be a little strained on the whole alcohol thing in recent years.  Opine as you will, but the realities of modern litigious society has compelled universities to push their Greek organizations toward being conglomerates of choir boys. This does not encourage attendance at athletic events in plain sight of the public eye. 

Oh, remember that kid they made do the walk of shame when at the Lamar game? Lol