Coach to keep an eye on: Jeff Koonz

Harry

I was looking at the La. Tech players that have been drafted to the NFL in the last two years (there are 6, 3 in each of last 2 years), and the highest one drafted of them all was defensive lineman Vernon Butler who was the 30th pick in the 1st round last year.  As you would expect Holtz and co are tweeting the hell out of this and rightfully so.  They also had several sign as free agents. 

I noticed that the coach who recruited him at La. Tech was Jeff Koonz who is now on our staff.  This is good for two reasons.  One it shows that Koonz can land a big time player and has good evaluation skills.   It also gives us someone on the inside who knows how La. Tech works on the inside and how to battle them for recruits.  Butler was from Mississippi and had offers from Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Southern Miss, Memphis and Louisiana-Lafayette.

31 minutes ago, Harry said:

I was looking at the La. Tech players that have been drafted to the NFL in the last two years (there are 6, 3 in each of last 2 years), and the highest one drafted of them all was defensive lineman Vernon Butler who was the 30th pick in the 1st round last year.  As you would expect Holtz and co are tweeting the hell out of this and rightfully so.  They also had several sign as free agents. 

I noticed that the coach who recruited him at La. Tech was Jeff Koonz who is now on our staff.  This is good for two reasons.  One it shows that Koonz can land a big time player and has good evaluation skills.   It also gives us someone on the inside who knows how La. Tech works on the inside and how to battle them for recruits.  Butler was from Mississippi and had offers from Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Southern Miss, Memphis and Louisiana-Lafayette.

I knew he was a great pickup when we got him. Guy has recruited to G5's before and recruited well, he'll be a huge asset in recruiting going forward.

I expect him and Nate Brown will be our two best recruiters on staff while they're here

• Upvote 1

I was thinking about this yesterday and I have no idea why.. 

But what pairing would you rather have? 

Koonz as LB coach and Reff as DC or 

Ek and Reff splitting DC duties? 

Honestly feel that EK was a solid piece to the staff, but feel that our defense will be better with Koonz and Reff calling the plays.

----------

Koonz and Brown are solid recruiters and likely the best on the staff but the sleeper of the staff for me is Biagi. 

• Upvote 3