DRC: UNT breakout candidate No. 3 -- RB Nick Smith

Brett Vito

I guess you have to define "breakout".  Because if Wilson is still here, he's the man.  There is no "breakout" while playing behind him.

Now, if "breakout" means replacing Ivery, who was a great complimentary piece last year, then yeah!  Smith can do that.

I expect WAY more out of Vito's #5 (Smiley) than I do out of Smith this year.

Smith may wind up being a lock to win the "breakout candidate" award next year though once Wilson is graduated.

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I guess you have to define "breakout".  Because if Wilson is still here, he's the man.  There is no "breakout" while playing behind him.

Now, if "breakout" means replacing Ivery, who was a great complimentary piece last year, then yeah!  Smith can do that.

Smith may wind up being a lock to win the "breakout candidate" award next year though once Wilson is graduated.

Maybe I'm short-sighted but I look at breakout as producing far more than you produced the previous season.  Since Nic Smith was red-shirted last year the only thing that he learned was the offense.  So that whatever he produces this year will be far above zero.  Frankly, I expect him to produce more than Ivery produced last year and depending on how much he gets used, perhaps even close to Jeff Wilson.  While there is no question about Wilson's ability, there are questions about his durability.  My wish is that both get used at the same time; swapping running back and h-back slots without the opposition knowing who is the hot back so that they cannot key on just the running back.

Now if I'm right on the "breakout" definition the next two will be Jalen Guyton and Bryce English.  I expect Guyton to be the top receiver and English to be the top defensive lineman and since neither played last year let's hope that their stats will be better than those of last year. 

• Upvote 3

I consider "breakout" generally to mean:

Contributed little to nothing to team in terms of on-field production in previous seasons

Current season, was a major contributor and a difference maker

Considering Turner Smiley has been a major contributor already, I don't see him as being eligible for a "breakout" season. . . .  UNLESS he ends up putting up ridiculous (1st team all-conference plus) numbers, clearly "breaking through" to another level.

Grand, what is the next level?  Not seeing the field to backup?  Backup to starter?  Starter to stat leader?  HM all-conference?  Second team all-conference?  First team all-conference?  Or, just a vast improvement over last year's performance?  Are these the levels for a breakout season?  Must you jump more than one level?

I know that sportswriters have used this term but I can find no clear definition for it.

• Upvote 1

On 3/25/2017 at 3:32 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think he'll breakout even behind Wilson. Best back I've watched with my own eyes not named Eno Benjamin.

• Upvote 1

On 3/25/2017 at 2:30 PM, GrayEagle said:

Maybe I'm short-sighted but I look at breakout as producing far more than you produced the previous season.  Since Nic Smith was red-shirted last year the only thing that he learned was the offense.  So that whatever he produces this year will be far above zero.  Frankly, I expect him to produce more than Ivery produced last year and depending on how much he gets used, perhaps even close to Jeff Wilson.  While there is no question about Wilson's ability, there are questions about his durability.  My wish is that both get used at the same time; swapping running back and h-back slots without the opposition knowing who is the hot back so that they cannot key on just the running back.

Now if I'm right on the "breakout" definition the next two will be Jalen Guyton and Bryce English.  I expect Guyton to be the top receiver and English to be the top defensive lineman and since neither played last year let's hope that their stats will be better than those of last year. 

That's what I always think about when someone says (insert name of player here) is having a break-out season. It can also mean that they have finally "broken out" of previous limiting situations such as being injury plagued. Wilson could have a "break out" season just by playing every game without injury........kind of like Sean Lee did this last season with the Cowboys. 

It can also mean changing positions and finally contributing to the team. Kind of like Mr. Chumley who seems to be having a "break out" spring now that he has been moved to TE/H-back. 

5 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I think he'll breakout even behind Wilson. Best back I've watched with my own eyes not named Eno Benjamin.

Are you talking about Smith or Wilson?

Edited by SilverEagle

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

That's what I always think about when someone says (insert name of player here) is having a break-out season. It can also mean that they have finally "broken out" of previous limiting situations such as being injury plagued. Wilson could have a "break out" season just by playing every game without injury........kind of like Sean Lee did this last season with the Cowboys. 

It can also mean changing positions and finally contributing to the team. Kind of like Mr. Chumley who seems to be having a "break out" spring now that he has been moved to TE/H-back. 

Are you talking about Smith or Wilson?

Smith.  I never got to see Wilson live.