UNT Recruits

Cooley

UNT commit Zack Simmons posted a Triple Double 17pts 23rebs 10blks in Cedar Hill win over Duncanville last night. Have watched him progress throughout the season. (Still has work to do)

I have monitored TVCC's  Amaad Wainwright's stats all year, including 45 in a 3 OT win earlier this season. I plan to watch him for the 1st time against Navarro later today in Corsicana. 

Wonder if the pending coaching change will affect their status with the program. By my count, there are at least 2 more scholarships to offer. Good start by the new staff. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, southsideguy said:

well you can keep the recruits and keep benford, or lose benford and possibly lose the recruits.  Time has shown even with good recruits we can't win with our coach,  I say roll the dice.

Actually, the recruits would have to be released by the new staff if they wanted to go to an NCAA program.  I would assume any recruit signed by NT should have to have known the likelihood of Benford being their coach was very small.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Actually, the recruits would have to be released by the new staff if they wanted to go to an NCAA program.  I would assume any recruit signed by NT should have to have known the likelihood of Benford being their coach was very small.  

I'm only about 70% confident in this statement, but I believe neither signed in the fall. I believe they are just verbal commits.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I'm only about 70% confident in this statement, but I believe neither signed in the fall. I believe they are just verbal commits.

From Official NT Athletics Site:

Nov. 10, 2016

DENTON – North Texas men’s basketball head coach Tony Benford announced the signing of Zach Simmons and Amaad Wainright to National Letters of Intent Thursday. 

“I am excited to welcome these two student-athletes to our Mean Green basketball program,” Benford said. “We feel like Simmons is one of the top post players in the DFW area. We have brought in some really good quality JUCO players the past three years and Amaad is another one that can make an immediate impact on our program.”

Zach Simmons – 6-9, 250, Power Forward, Cedar Hill HS, Cedar Hill, TX 

Simmons continues the trend of Texas native recruits to sign with coach Benford. According to TexasHoops.com, Simmons is ranked No. 91 in the state of Texas after suffering an injury during the first half of his junior season. Simmons averaged 12 points and nine rebounds per game and hopes to have a breakout senior season. 

Simmons played AAU with Urban DFW Elite this past summer playing in 12 games. 

“Zach is a very good player and is skilled in the post,” Benford said. “He is an intelligent player that has a chance to make an impact for us next season. He gives our team another big body that can rebound, score and defend. He has been well coached by DFW Elite’s Jazzy Hartwell and Cedar Hill’s Brandon Thomas.” 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

From Official NT Athletics Site:

Nov. 10, 2016

DENTON – North Texas men’s basketball head coach Tony Benford announced the signing of Zach Simmons and Amaad Wainright to National Letters of Intent Thursday. 

“I am excited to welcome these two student-athletes to our Mean Green basketball program,” Benford said. “We feel like Simmons is one of the top post players in the DFW area. We have brought in some really good quality JUCO players the past three years and Amaad is another one that can make an immediate impact on our program.”

Zach Simmons – 6-9, 250, Power Forward, Cedar Hill HS, Cedar Hill, TX 

Simmons continues the trend of Texas native recruits to sign with coach Benford. According to TexasHoops.com, Simmons is ranked No. 91 in the state of Texas after suffering an injury during the first half of his junior season. Simmons averaged 12 points and nine rebounds per game and hopes to have a breakout senior season. 

Simmons played AAU with Urban DFW Elite this past summer playing in 12 games. 

“Zach is a very good player and is skilled in the post,” Benford said. “He is an intelligent player that has a chance to make an impact for us next season. He gives our team another big body that can rebound, score and defend. He has been well coached by DFW Elite’s Jazzy Hartwell and Cedar Hill’s Brandon Thomas.” 

Thanks. I haven't followed the recruiting much but I didn't remember seeing anything when fall signing day came around. Not nearly paying attention the way I used to.

And thanks to Cooley for the update on these guys.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Cooley said:

UNT commit Zack Simmons posted a Triple Double 17pts 23rebs 10blks in Cedar Hill win over Duncanville last night. Have watched him progress throughout the season. (Still has work to do)

I have monitored TVCC's  Amaad Wainwright's stats all year, including 45 in a 3 OT win earlier this season. I plan to watch him for the 1st time against Navarro later today in Corsicana. 

Wonder if the pending coaching change will affect their status with the program. By my count, there are at least 2 more scholarships to offer. Good start by the new staff. 

Maybe these two could be a very nice going away present from Benford.  I don't think Benford is leaving a bare cupboard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 1/28/2017 at 1:49 PM, BillySee58 said:

Cedar Hill kid has Signed 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1