UTA (12/3/16)

Army of Dad

25 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Forget crazy talk of 20+ wins. Is there any way we finish at .500 or better?   Can Frazier and Woolridge make enough of a difference?

I'd like to say yes, but I think CUSA is at least as good as last season and maybe better so...

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Army of Dad said:

And will our young talent stay after the change. I'd really like to see what Lawson, Brown, & Brice could do with better coaching...

I haven't asked them personally, but I would assume the players would be okay with playing under a coach who knows how to help players realize their potential and win games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The zone defense is what drives me the craziest. Year after year Benford continues to think that's the greatest idea when your team continues to give up open layups, 3-pointers, and offensive rebounds. And they need to slow it down on the offensive end right now. Brown especially. They're averaging over three more turnovers a game than assists, and I'm sure this game didn't help that statistic. None of these players can shoot. They need to get the ball inside earlier in the game.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 1

I'm not gonna come here and talk trash, but here's my objective opinion on what happened: for some reason, UNT kept making ill-advised trips into the paint where at least 2 or 3 Mavs were waiting upon your shooters each and every time. And the result was not pretty usually for the Eagles...a turnover, UTA steal or awkward layup attempt that was not exactly high percentage. Our defense will allow teams to shoot a lot of 3s, and tip of the cap if you can make them. But the Mavs will not allow much inside. Not that we're a huge team size-wise, but quick enough to get defenders into the right spots and take away the paint. UTA played pretty well except for a 5-minute lull at the end of the first half where UNT cut down the lead. We're not a great shooting team from outside, but there was little defense of the perimeter for the most part. UTA turns the ball over a lot because of the crazy-fast pace we like to play at when the opportunities arise to do so, but there were a lot of UNT traveling calls and unforced errors which gave the Mavs extra possessions. The officials were calling a fairly tight game but UNT had 14 FT attempts vs. 8 for UTA in the first half. I see a lot of individually talented players for UNT, but just not much flow to the offense it didn't seem for some reason. Mean Green were good on the boards all day long, getting lots of 2nd-3rd-4th chances on the offensive end.

That being said, parking was easy and the Super Pit has a big video board.

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, UTAmaverick said:

I'm not gonna come here and talk trash, but here's my objective opinion on what happened: for some reason, UNT kept making ill-advised trips into the paint where at least 2 or 3 Mavs were waiting upon your shooters each and every time. And the result was not pretty usually for the Eagles...a turnover, UTA steal or awkward layup attempt that was not exactly high percentage. Our defense will allow teams to shoot a lot of 3s, and tip of the cap if you can make them. But the Mavs will not allow much inside. Not that we're a huge team size-wise, but quick enough to get defenders into the right spots and take away the paint. UTA played pretty well except for a 5-minute lull at the end of the first half where UNT cut down the lead. We're not a great shooting team from outside, but there was little defense of the perimeter for the most part. UTA turns the ball over a lot because of the crazy-fast pace we like to play at when the opportunities arise to do so, but there were a lot of UNT traveling calls and unforced errors which gave the Mavs extra possessions. The officials were calling a fairly tight game but UNT had 14 FT attempts vs. 8 for UTA in the first half. I see a lot of individually talented players for UNT, but just not much flow to the offense it didn't seem for some reason. Mean Green were good on the boards all day long, getting lots of 2nd-3rd-4th chances on the offensive end.

That being said, parking was easy and the Super Pit has a big video board.

UTA only had 2 more points in the paint compared to NT (28-26). NT also had fewer TOs (19-14) and more steals (11-6), so I'll disagree on the stats front or at least those stats.

I will agree that your defense caused our offense to take poor percentage shots as we shot 31.3% for the game. We actually had our worst half of basketball this season where we shot a miserable 22.6% in the first half.

Three teams have held the Mean Green to under 40% so far this season -- Texas Tech (30.1%), Rutgers (33.3%), and UTA (31.3%).

You guys have a really good team and I suspect you'll have another really good year and I hope you get into the NCAA tournament this time around.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Downvote 1