Marshall

UNTLifer

No insight, but their three losses are against AKRON, Louisville and Pittsburgh.  In those three losses, they scored an average of 31 points.  Add in their week 1 win over Morgan State, and they average 39 points per game. 

I expected a better chance to beat Marshall than MTSU, but I'm not as convinced now. 

Edited by gangrene

7 minutes ago, gangrene said:

No insight, but their three losses are against Arkansas, Louisville and Pittsburgh.  In those three losses, they scored an average of 31 points.  Add in their week 1 win over Morgan State, and they average 39 points per game. 

I expected a better chance to beat Marshall than MTSU, but I'm not as convinced now. 

* They lost to  Akron , not Arkansas 

7 minutes ago, gangrene said:

No insight, but their three losses are against Arkansas, Louisville and Pittsburgh.  In those three losses, they scored an average of 31 points.  Add in their week 1 win over Morgan State, and they average 39 points per game. 

Easy to just glance at the score and the first letter of the opponent and think this...  but you may want to double-check that first Marshall loss.

11 point favorite in Denton, that means they would be a two TD favorite on a neutral field.

They will be tough for us to beat.  Unfortunately they are also probably the most likely home win we have left.  

The outscored Pitt 27-16 in the second half of that game, not sure how much of that was them adjusting and how much of it was Pitt letting up. 

They have given up an average of 56 points a game to their three FBS opponents. If we can't move the ball against them... then it does not bode well for the rest of the season.  

I have a wedding to DJ so I'll be rooting from a distance. 

If we can have a few duplications of our Mason Fine-led first drive & TD as done vs MUTS the Marshall game is winnable. ✳️We have to believe that our new coaching staff is continuing in the development of our younger players, too. 

GMG!

IDJ:  www.soundworksdeejay.com 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

The outscored Pitt 27-16 in the second half of that game, not sure how much of that was them adjusting and how much of it was Pitt letting up. 

I watched most of the second half of their game against Pitt and it was a bit of both. After scoring on the opening drive of the second half (first score of the game for Marshall), they recovered an onside kick and scored on that drive. They had an 83 yard TD play a few drives later. After Marshall brought it to within 3, Pitt woke up again. I'll say this, during that second half, the Marshall defense was pretty stingy. They also weren't on the field for quite some time to start the 3rd quarter with converting the onside kick and all. 

Where this game scares me is our ability to close games. If, for some reason the football Gods smile on us, we have a decent lead heading to the third quarter, Marshall's coaching staff will be aggressive. In addition to the onside kick, they converted on 4th down twice.

In all reality though, this is a Marshall team who, like us, does now know what they have yet. They are 1-3 and yes, two of those loses are against Pitt and Louisville, but other than that, they beat an FCS school and loss (badly) to Akron (side note, they started the year on a bye week like we did last year). Looking at scores, I would assume Pitt plays to their competition's level so even though Marshall played them tough in the second half, I'm not sure that game means much. It was, after all, 27-0 Pitt after one half of play. Long story short, Marshall probably doesn't really know who they are yet. A win against us probably won't say much unless they blow us out, but a loss could be telling of tough times for the Herd. Let's hope the team with the better Green wins this one.

• Upvote 1

Starting QB was injured while they were leading the Akron game.  Akron came back after he was injured.  He missed the next game with a concussion.  Played in last week's game versus Pitt.

Score was 30-27 Pitt with under 1:30 minutes left.  Pitt scored two TDs in the final 1:04 to make it look worse than it was.

We don't have the offense - or, defense - to look past anyone, least of all Marshall, who has played a much tougher schedule than we have. After the first drive of the game, we didn't move the ball Saturday until the game was out of reach.  MTSU then let move in their predictable prevent defense. 

The game against Marshall could well be a carbon copy of the MTSU game.  Their QB is the C-USA leader in pass efficiency despite missing a game and a half and playing some decent opponents.  He's got 12 TDs only four INTs, and just under 1,000 passing in the two and a half games he's played in.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/cusa/2016-leaders.html

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Starting QB was injured while they were leading the Akron game.  Akron came back after he was injured.  He missed the next game with a concussion.  Played in last week's game versus Pitt.

Score was 30-27 Pitt with under 1:30 minutes left.  Pitt scored two TDs in the final 1:04 to make it look worse than it was.

We don't have the offense - or, defense - to look past anyone, least of all Marshall, who has played a much tougher schedule than we have. After the first drive of the game, we didn't move the ball Saturday until the game was out of reach.  MTSU then let move in their predictable prevent defense. 

The game against Marshall could well be a carbon copy of the MTSU game.  Their QB is the C-USA leader in pass efficiency despite missing a game and a half and playing some decent opponents.  He's got 12 TDs only four INTs, and just under 1,000 passing in the two and a half games he's played in.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/cusa/2016-leaders.html

Good point about the QB being hurt. Completely forgot he was also out against Louisville and they played them as close as anybody this year minus the Clemson game... 

I knew a girl from Hawkins, Texas, who lost a friend in their terrible tragedy, but I don't want to further the discussion of that subject.  The movie upsets the hell out me as I'm sure it does all of you.

I'll miss being at the game to see how our young team improves from last week. I'm DJ'ing a wedding at the Doss Heritage Center of Weatherford. (The late Larry "J.R. Ewing" Hagman was at its grand opening).

GMG!