MGB: UNT future football schedules update

Brett Vito

28 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

lets just schedule a  6A school to come in and play us.  WE can get 2 positives out of this.  

1) we more than likely will get the W (GOOD GOSH IF WE DONT, burn this mother down)

2) potential athletes will get to view our facilities!!

3) It'll draw a bigger crowd

• Upvote 4

There's a right situation for scheduling FCS teams:  when your attendance is starting to be solid or sold out, you want that 6th or 7th home game, but you need it cheap.

UNT might be in the need it cheap phase, but the attendance isn't there yet for FCS home games.  I think UNT is at the edge of bodybag scheduling but needs to transition to the 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 phase

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

The unanswered question is how do you pay the guarantee to get a P5 team to play in Denton? It is a gamble at best and a break the bank at worst. Denton has proven over and over that it does not understand that without fans in the stands no one wants to play here, and if it were possible to entice them they will want a huge guarantee that UNT can not cover putting even further strain on it's small athletic budget.

Because FIU is just filling up that dump of a stadium they call home.

9 hours ago, Stix said:

HBU just started playing football in 2013: Whatever It Takes: Houston Baptist University Turns to Football to Build a Name.  They got lucky and were asked to join the Southland when TSU-SM & UTSA left.  They played their first year at Strake Jesuit's stadium.  They now have half of a stadium, at the corner of Beechnut & Fondren: Google Maps  I've been wondering if they own the land where the CVS is.  A long time ago, there was a Putt-Putt and a driving range there.

HBU apparently has ambitious expansion plans.  It could only help Sharpstown, which is still a hellhole since the 80's oil bust.

But I digress...

I'm telling you all that Texas Wesleyan will be on our schedule at some point if they become FCS...guaranteed

• Downvote 2

10 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't mind those schedules. 

With those schedules, there is no reason for us to be any worse than 2-2 or 3-1 out of conference every year - INCLUDING THIS YEAR!  SMU, Bethune-Cookman, and Army are all beatable.

Sharpstown did turn into a hellhole.  My grandparents lived in Bellaire for decades, from about the mid-60s to the mid 90s, so I spent many a vacationing days in the Sharpstown/Bellaire/West Univeristy area in the 70s and 80s.  Saw the peak of those areas.

Sharpstown is so bad. All of the nice little houses along Bellaire have bars on the window with homeless people begging on every corner.

However, go down the street you get to Chinatown, which is freaking badass. Interesting area, for sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It appears I'm squarely in the minority here, but I have no issue with the home FCS, home G5, away G5, away P5 scheduling format.  We have more than enough students and alumni in this area where we should be filling the stadium regardless of whether we are playing Lamar or Texas Tech. 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Because FIU is just filling up that dump of a stadium they call home.

Check FIU's enrollment and student athletic fee and you can see why they can pay a P5. Since we coddle our students we don't have the luxury of those extra funds. Even UAB will be better prepared to compete when it returns in 2017, and we should be well on our way back to FCS or w/o athletics altogether by that time but by golly we will still be the cheapest and that is all that counts here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, DallasGreen said:

Check FIU's enrollment and student athletic fee and you can see why they can pay a P5. Since we coddle our students we don't have the luxury of those extra funds. Even UAB will be better prepared to compete when it returns in 2017, and we should be well on our way back to FCS or w/o athletics altogether by that time but by golly we will still be the cheapest and that is all that counts here.

Always an excuse. Always. It's the culture of the UNT AD and administration. 

I am becoming less and less hopeful that a meaningful AD hire will occur. It will probably be Hank. And the same 100 or so elite fans will get to keep their favorite, under-performing, statewide joke of a program.

And they will be perfectly fine with that.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

33 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Always an excuse. Always. It's the culture of the UNT AD and administration. 

I am becoming less and less hopeful that a meaningful AD hire will occur. It will probably be Hank. And the same 100 or so elite fans will get to keep their favorite, under-performing, statewide joke of a program.

And they will be perfectly fine with that.

Damn, I swear, you and Jim must be the same person. 

Read slowly...

IT'S.

NOT.

GOING.

TO.

BE.

HANK.

GET.

IT? 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

• Harry locked this topic