Big 12 Expansion

Most intersting note to me was it takes 8 out of 10 to approve new expansion members. I guess it's 75% of membership so 7 of 10 isn't enough. It's going to be hard to find two schools that 8 of the current members want. One, yes, but is much harder. 

While I agree NT isn't in contention, I doubt it's because "the DFW market is covered by SMU." If TCU was available, they would take them in an instant regardless of SMU's membership. And I'm just shocked, shocked I tell you that a reporter in Virginia would think ODU is the best candidate. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Most intersting note to me was it takes 8 out of 10 to approve new expansion members. I guess it's 75% of membership so 7 of 10 isn't enough. It's going to be hard to find two schools that 8 of the current members want. One, yes, but is much harder. 

While I agree NT isn't in contention, I doubt it's because "the DFW market is covered by SMU." If TCU was available, they would take them in an instant regardless of SMU's membership. And I'm just shocked, shocked I tell you that a reporter in Virginia would think ODU is the best candidate. 

No kidding. Bias, much? 

They are outspending us by a significant margin, putting them in the range of AAC. We are not in the range. There need to be radical changes to NT's approach to sports if NT is not going to spend 50% more than we are now. I figure NT will not spend that, so NT please make radical changes, particularly so that money games are not necessary.  I can understand not upping the spending, it would be 50% now and then 100% later to keep up, then more later. ODU will probably regret getting on the train.

8 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

They are outspending us by a significant margin, putting them in the range of AAC. We are not in the range. There need to be radical changes to NT's approach to sports if NT is not going to spend 50% more than we are now. I figure NT will not spend that, so NT please make radical changes, particularly so that money games are not necessary.  I can understand not upping the spending, it would be 50% now and then 100% later to keep up, then more later. ODU will probably regret getting on the train.

The radical change needs to come in matters like keeping a terribly failed basketball coach all 5 years of his contract and keeping a failed AD around for 15 years when it has become crystal clear he can't do the job. 

That shows every conference, including CUSA, that you don't care one bit about athletic success and won't commit resources needed to have an effective AD. 

UNT needs to be concerned about keeping their CUSA membership. That's where they are right now, and will be for the forseeable future with the current BOR and President overseeing athletics. The chances of being banished from CUSA are 100 times greater than acceptance into the MWC or the AAC, much less the Big 12. 

Open your eyes, folks.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

The radical change needs to come in matters like keeping a terribly failed basketball coach all 5 years of his contract and keeping a failed AD around for 15 years when it has become crystal clear he can't do the job. 

That shows every conference, including CUSA, that you don't care one bit about athletic success and won't commit resources needed to have an effective AD. 

UNT needs to be concerned about keeping their CUSA membership. That's where they are right now, and will be for the forseeable future with the current BOR and President overseeing athletics. The chances of being banished from CUSA are 100 times greater than acceptance into the MWC or the AAC, much less the Big 12. 

Open your eyes, folks.

CUSA isn't going to kick us out. They need to sell DFW to advertisers and other schools for recruiting purposes.

Here's the reality of our situation. If we were good in CUSA, SMU would still have us blocked to go to the AAC and the MWC is content to wait out things to see who will fall into their lap in a few years here in Texas, knowing that TCU, Baylor, Tech, UTEP, UTSA, and Rice are potential adds in a few years.

What I do believe is that had we done anything in the last decade in football beyond being the worst program in the country for that timeframe, as well as not doing anything with the the two NCAA bids we earned in hoops under JJ and allowing the program to drop down to levels not seen here since the mid 00's, we would be in the MWC already, having replaced TCU when they left. But that obviously didn't happen and RV has been allowed to stay in his same role for 15 years now, with absolutely no chance of him leaving anytime soon, barring serious injury or death.

• Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

CUSA isn't going to kick us out. They need to sell DFW to advertisers and other schools for recruiting purposes.

Here's the reality of our situation. If we were good in CUSA, SMU would still have us blocked to go to the AAC and the MWC is content to wait out things to see who will fall into their lap in a few years here in Texas, knowing that TCU, Baylor, Tech, UTEP, UTSA, and Rice are potential adds in a few years.

What I do believe is that had we done anything in the last decade in football beyond being the worst program in the country for that timeframe, as well as not doing anything with the the two NCAA bids we earned in hoops under JJ and allowing the program to drop down to levels not seen here since the mid 00's, we would be in the MWC already, having replaced TCU when they left. But that obviously didn't happen and RV has been allowed to stay in his same role for 15 years now, with absolutely no chance of him leaving anytime soon, barring serious injury or death.

It's not about C-USA kicking us out, that is simple hyperbole. It is about us keeping our part of the deal, and bringing a winning program to C-USA -- to help build the reputation and status of the conference.  In 2013 we did this.  Since then we have failed.  It's not just about wins, it is also about attendance but the two go hand in hand.

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

But that obviously didn't happen and RV has been allowed to stay in his same role for 15 years now, with absolutely no chance of him leaving anytime soon, barring serious injury or death.

Well... looks like we may be finally moving in the right direction...

• Downvote 1