Hall of Fame member Bill Carrico passes away

NT1978

Coach Carrico was one of our Denton HS coaches while I was there.  He was one tough coach, but had a heart of gold and loved coaching the Broncos.  I had many a one on one conversation during and after practices.  He just had a great way to speak with young guys who thought they knew what they were talking about.  He said a great deal with so few words.  The last time I saw Coach Carrico was at Apogee.  We chatted briefly as we both left the stadium that evening.  To be honest, I had no clue that Coach Carrico was a UNT hall of Famer when I was in high school.  He never bragged about his exploits, just coached and taught as much by what he did, how he dud things as by what he said.  Coach Carrico was one great human being and I consider myself lucky to have known him.  May God grant him peace and help his family and friends recall the good times.

Go with God, Coach Carrico.

• Upvote 5

Yes, Bill's dad was a chemistry professor at North Texas beginning in the 40s.  To the best of my memory he became chairman of that department.  

He had an older brother, Jimmy, who was head of Southwestern Medical School.  Sadly, he died a few years back.  I knew Jimmy better than Bill but talked to both numerous times and it would be hard to find nicer people than those two.

He seemed larger because he was very strong and solidly built.  He also had a quickness that few possess.  He was definitely deserving of every honor that he received.

Rest in peace, Bill.  The world was made better because you were here.

• Upvote 1

The memorial service is Friday at Denton Bible Church for those interested.  There is also a nice article on Coach Carrico in the Denton Record Chronicle linked below.

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20160215-carrico-hailed-as-unsung-hero.ece

On February 15, 2016 at 8:08 PM, GrayEagle said:

Yes, Bill's dad was a chemistry professor at North Texas beginning in the 40s.  To the best of my memory he became chairman of that department.  

He had an older brother, Jimmy, who was head of Southwestern Medical School.  Sadly, he died a few years back.  I knew Jimmy better than Bill but talked to both numerous times and it would be hard to find nicer people than those two.

He seemed larger because he was very strong and solidly built.  He also had a quickness that few possess.  He was definitely deserving of every honor that he received.

Rest in peace, Bill.  The world was made better because you were here.

Jim Carrico was also the first doctor to attend to President Kennedy at Parkland.

• Upvote 1