16' JUCO DT Dequinton Osborne (Kilgore JC)

TheReal_jayD

4_3114288.jpg

Defensive Tackle 

Kilgore Junior College (originally from South Grand Prairie)

Visited UNT this weekend. Is currently committed to UCF. I believe him and Josh Wheeler (mid-term DE commit) were high school teammates. Osborne was the defensive MVP of the Southwest Junior College Football Conference.

http://247sports.com/Player/Dequinton-Osborne-28579?PlayerInstitution=134021

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/538465/dequinton-osborne-dq

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Signed with mizzou out of high school.  Voluntarily left the team.

Went juco and has a nice offer list. Would be a nice addition.

Same route a dude we signed not too long ago burned us on: Terrell Brooks.   If he can play like Brooks and we land him, then the interior DL will be set for quite a while between him, English & Young.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Don't we have another nice young DT? Not the one who Left. 

Maybe you mean the walkon who had some FCS offers, Julius Combes.

Remember how I was talking about the awful roster management? From 2013 to 2015 we signed just two high school DEs, and we signed just four high school DTs (Moore, Tauaalo, Young, Harrison). When KP took the job we had 0 DTs committed for 2014, then he reeled in Tauaalo at the end. Getting English was big.

Just now, BillySee58 said:

Maybe you mean the walkon who had some FCS offers, Julius Combes.

Remember how I was talking about the awful roster management? From 2013 to 2015 we signed just two high school DEs, and we signed just four high school DTs (Moore, Tauaalo, Young, Harrison). When KP took the job we had 0 DTs committed for 2014, then he reeled in Tauaalo at the end. Getting English was big.

Yes Combes thanks. Big kid. Hopefully he pans out for us! Yes I remember. I hope this staff does a better job. 

Dequinton liked the tweet... I love English' committment to getting more players around.  Can we send him out unsolicited and have him reign in all DFW recruits and make us the new U... ok I will quit with that crazy talk but seriously Everytime I see a Bryce English tweet its a good one about the University or tweeting fellow recruits! 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Dequinton liked the tweet... I love English' committment to getting more players around.  Can we send him out unsolicited and have him reign in all DFW recruits and make us the new U... ok I will quit with that crazy talk but seriously Everytime I see a Bryce English tweet its a good one about the University or tweeting fellow recruits! 

I mentioned this the other day. Ya boy English does some work on Twitter

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Perfect. Let's get DQ and Bryce to anchor the core of that defense!

• Upvote 2

There is another player who has committed out of the 229 area code, which is Georgia.

I did hear that South Grand Prairie product Dequinton Osborne, who played last season at Kilgore flipped from Central Florida to UNT. That would be a huge get for UNT, if he did in fact commit to play for the Mean Green.

We should here more the rest of the day.

Stay tuned.

read more:  http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2016/01/sunday-recruiting-blog-2.html/

Yes, as often is the case, the p5's will stockpile the DT's.  Two recent names come to mind, one is a signee we had under Mac that transferred Terrell Brooks:  http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/terell_brooks_856846.html

Not sure if Brooks did much while at Baylor.

The other one is Charles Walker from South Grand Prairie who committed to UNT under Mac but then OU came in and snagged him late.  He redshirted for them and then turned out to be a stud, and was named 2nd team All Big 12 for last season.  Could be an NFL draft level player:  http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208865960

So the lesson is, even Mac's staff knew who some of the players they needed to succeed were.  The challenge is landing them and in Brooks' case getting them to stay.  I believe that defensive tackle is probably the MOST important position next to QB in terms of differentiating the G5 programs.  Look at the best G5 programs and they have talent at DTackle and on the d-line.

The challenge as I see it is, trying to land a guy like Walker is smart and a risk worth taking, but you HAVE to have a plan B, C, D, E and so on.  Where La Tech has killed us as of late is they identify a guy that probably is not on the p5 radar for various reasons early, be it injury, grades, play for a losing team whatever.  Then they shower him consistently but quietly for months and months leading up to signing day. I cannot tell you how many times UNT would go after a guy that turned out to be out of their league and then refocused on a local DFW kid who was committed to La. Tech or whomever to try and flip.  Most of the time it is too late!  The prospect is being told by La. Tech we've been there for you all along and now they are showing up pretending to really care.  Another thing La. Tech does well, that never gets discussed or is dismissed is they use a trimester system for their grades.  I do not know the details but have been told that it can make the academic picture a lot easier for an athlete.  Academic programs are important as well, you have to be able to offer the degrees that the kids want to pursue and the support staff that will help them succeed.  I can promise you, the kid we lost to Tulsa was told a million times that he would have smalled class sizes and tons of support.  Not to mention the dollar value of the private education there.  These are ALL strategies  that we can easily overcome but it takes strategy and market information as well as support from the administration.  You have to learn from history or it will repeat itself.