Alec Morris (pseudo) study

Aldo

Great analysis.  What strikes me is how pretty his throwing motion is (effortless).  His touch is above anything we have seen since DT for sure.   Can't wait to see him develop this spring and which receivers he gravitates to.  Thanks for taking the time and sharing it with us.

56 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

UTEP's grad transfer QB from A&M destroyed us in EP the season before last. So, it doesn't mean he's not good because he hasn't played much.

It's not that he lacks talent, he doesn't, it's that we don't know what we don't know so I can't shake my crystal ball at him

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Aldo said:

It's not that he lacks talent, he doesn't, it's that we don't know what we don't know so I can't shake my crystal ball at him

I'd wager he'll be better than anything we've had in several years. Nick Saban is a great judge of talent. Sure he didn't start but Alabama's 2nd or 3rd string is better than the train wreck Mac created starting with the embarrassment in Austin to present. It can't be worse. I hope...

13 hours ago, Aldo said:

This won't be as comprehensive as the one I did for McNulty due to time constraints, but I'll be nitpicky nonetheless.

I used film both from high school highlights and that provided by Alabama (spring games and drills). So it's not much to go by but enough to notice some tendencies.

Here are my notes

Pros

• Relaxed in the pocket
  • Calm, composed, and poised
  • High "football IQ" (pardon my Jay Gruden, man)
  • Safe
  • Decent arm
  • Good size
  • Accurate and can pick apart a zone.
  • Comes from powerhouse school, so has good coaching ($$)
  • Mechanics
  • Good deep ball
  • Good rhythm, passes at top of drop
  • Can extend plays under pressure

Cons

• No FBS experience as a grad transfer
  • Slight accuracy issue in intermediate range (nitpicky here)
  • When dropback and throw is rushed, footwork affected
  • Off-balance throws can vary
  • Sometimes stares down receiver
  • A bit indecisive

Here are some of my thoughts

I'll come out and say this: I have no idea what to expect from Morris. He's a strong, pro-style QB with lots of polish and poise. A very typical Alabama QB. I think his game managing label is only due to his size and association with Alabama. He can toss it around if need be, while being safe with the ball. My knock is that he doesn't come with the experience that guys like Driskel did.

Couldn't beat out Blake Sims or Jay Coker while at Alabama. Was praised by Saban, though.

His downfield ball is different than Smith's. Smith is more of a throw them open type, while Morris employs more technique and precision. Either style is fine by me as long as it works.

He's a big guy (and strong) at 6'3" 233lbs. He has a very pretty, very expensive ($$) throwing motion. He's obviously had solid personal coaching.

He is able to read a defense (omg!) pre-snap. While extending a play, he can manipulate defenders down the field in order to get his guy open for positive yards. Otherwise, he'll safely throw it away.

Needs to be a quicker decision-maker. Has good anticipation. He is very relaxed in his drop backs, and passes in rhythm at the top of his drop. Very aware of the plays, but sometimes hones in on one guy. When plays break down, he can extend plays if he has room. If he rushes his motions, sometimes he spreads his feet a little too far apart, causing some of his passes to sail. Frequently throws passes slightly behind if he has to throw them low. Emphasis on the slightly. Still catchable balls, but the kind where the receiver has to slow down or use extra effort. If he has to throw them high, on target and in stride.

The thing here, fellas, is that Morris has the ability to analyze the situation, decide and then place the ball either high or low in a catchable spot. He can decide to sidearm a pass when things get a little tight. Thas nice.

He has the ability to place the ball between defenders, left or right, high or low. McNulty had this ability, but only high or low, and a ball with no arc. Morris has the ability to arc it very well between the high and low defender.

Morris can succeed here with the right, downfield offense. It doesn't have to be pro-style, as he lined up in 3 wide, shotgun sets frequently in Alabama. Side shot: DSmith's accuracy issues can be masked with the right playcalling.

I think Goree and Bradley (I'll keep tooting this horn), and Dillman can put up numbers with Morris. I would like to know who the slot receiver ends up being.

That's all I can remember for now.

Thanks for the analysis! My conclusion? Yes, I will take it, great, can't wait, awesome, wow! GMG

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, foutsrouts said:

Let's just hope that our OL can provide the big guy with the protection that he needs. If so, I'm expecting big things.

Lot of West Coast elements to the Littrell Air Raid. Quick reads, 3-step drops, short passes. The ball really gets out quick in this offense so I am not as concerned with the OLine. My concern is that Morris has practiced an awful lot but has not been in game situations. An Air Raid QB needs to know about 10-15 plays(that may even be a stretch) but he needs to run them with razor precision every time. He needs to make quick reads and progressions. He needs to read the defense quickly and accurately. 

• Upvote 1