Texas College (11/16/15)

CMJ

Can we not just enjoy the wins?  Why must those against Benford spoil it for the rest of us.

I get that there are many good fans disenchanted about the program right now.  That's your right.

I think it crosses the line when you try to discount other fans who actually see some promise in this team. 

It's pretty clear Benford needs to win this season.  Why can't we just let it play out without the constant negative propaganda?

My point is there is some reason to be positive about the small sample size we have so far. I agree, no reason to be negative about scoring 110 & 112 in two consecutive games. We've played these cupcakes before and not scored anywhere close to that amount. That means we are hitting shots, it's hard for any program in college ball to score that many points in only 40 minutes of play. Whoever you are playing, there are still bodies attempting to play defense on you and hitting that many shots is impressive in my book. 

• Upvote 2

My point is there is some reason to be positive about the small sample size we have so far. I agree, no reason to be negative about scoring 110 & 112 in two consecutive games. We've played these cupcakes before and not scored anywhere close to that amount. That means we are hitting shots, it's hard for any program in college ball to score that many points in only 40 minutes of play. Whoever you are playing, there are still bodies attempting to play defense on you and hitting that many shots is impressive in my book. 

Benford seems to have them making a concerted effort to really push the pace and I'm sure that's a part of it, but don't forget the shot clock is shorter now so we should see some higher scores from that alone.

Benford seems to have them making a concerted effort to really push the pace and I'm sure that's a part of it, but don't forget the shot clock is shorter now so we should see some higher scores from that alone.

Good point, I had forgotten about that. Maybe that will force his hand a little bit and fits our personnel this season, particularly J-Michael Reese. 

• Upvote 1

I live 3 counties away. I couldn't tell you more than a handful of players names anymore. 

Its not spite, it's a simple lack of interest. 

And that is the AD's and bball coach's fault.

How often are you driving in from Midland for games? Are you spiteful?

Three counties away is much different than 350 miles. Although I did drive two hours to Lubbock to watch our women's soccer team. If I was closer, I would attend much more. Working around my kid's schedules factors also.  Point being, it is not my agenda to assume the success or failure of the program based on the past. I am a glutton for punishment and go in to every new season with expectations we will win. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

It won't take much to get me to start going to more games this season. A good showing against Northern Iowa may do it for me. People may forget but that was a #5 seed tourney team ranked in the top-25 much of last year. 

I'm already sold on attending based on personnel. It is up to the team to really keep me engaged. But who am I really fooling, I enjoy going to basketball games. 

• Upvote 2

I would be okay if North Texas became a basketball school (again?).

I've been an advocate for smaller non-P5 schools for go all in on basketball. It's too late for that for North Texas. As much as I love football, it is much more realistic to focus your resources there and become successful if you are smaller budget school with less resources. It could also eventually translate into football success like it has for Duke in the past and now North Carolina. It's all about getting those donations in and giving the alumni something to be excited about. Look at what SFA and others has done as an example. 

• Upvote 1

I've been an advocate for smaller non-P5 schools for go all in on basketball. It's too late for that for North Texas. As much as I love football, it is much more realistic to focus your resources there and become successful if you are smaller budget school with less resources. It could also eventually translate into football success like it has for Duke in the past and now North Carolina. It's all about getting those donations in and giving the alumni something to be excited about. Look at what SFA and others has done as an example. 

I concur

Can we not just enjoy the wins?  Why must those against Benford spoil it for the rest of us.

I get that there are many good fans disenchanted about the program right now.  That's your right.

I think it crosses the line when you try to discount other fans who actually see some promise in this team.

It's pretty clear Benford needs to win this season.  Why can't we just let it play out without the constant negative propaganda?

Good luck Harry. 

• Upvote 1

I say this every year. The only program of the two that can win a national title guaranteed with an undefeated season. 

It's a way more pure competition to determine the best team. Plus you get to see a small school no one has heard of knock off the big guy every single year. Football has continually made that an unrealistic possibility. If the big boys think there's even a chance you'll beat them, they won't schedule you anymore.