Jake Spavital

bdan2002

I was never very "in" on him. But that doesn't mean a check of his resume and maybe talking to people familiar with his work shouldn't be done. I think a wide search, especially everyone with current Texas recruiting ties, would be best for our coaching search. Don't focus on a few candidates too early. Be ready to move quickly at the end of the season, but don't jump at the first name either. 

• Upvote 2

Be careful what you wish for! Spavital may not be back because he has accepted the job as HC at UNT and is waiting for the end of the season to go public. Wouldn't that piss on your Wheaties?

Texas A&M: 247’s A&M site is reporting that they’ve been told offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Jake Spavital “will not be back” next season “and the tenures of others on the staff will depend on how A&M finishes up both the season and reruiting.”

Does this change your opinion of him as a candidate?

Nope. it doesn't change my opinion. I didn't want him then, and I do not want him now.

Figured I would move this over here so as not to clog up the Skip thread: 

spavital will be known as the guy that underperformed at A&M...not sure that will help him sell himself to recruits at UNT.

No.  Spavital will be known as the guy who coached Johnny Football to the Heisman.    And it would absolutely help him sell recruits to NT... Seeing as just about every naive hot-shot TX HS football QB (5* or 2*) wants to have the exact life that Manziel lived at A&M.

Not a shot directly at you Ed, but there are a ton of short-sighted folks on here.   

And if any of you formulate an idea about anything football-related due to the opinions of Aggie fans...  I don't know what that says about your football IQ, because theirs, on the whole, is short-bus 'special'.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

No.  Spavital will be known as the guy who coached Johnny Football to the Heisman.    And it would absolutely help him sell recruits to NT... Seeing as just about every naive hot-shot TX HS football QB (5* or 2*) wants to have the exact life that Manziel lived at A&M.

I'm not sure I would want to be closely associated with Johnny Football since he continues to make an ass of himself off the field. What would that say about my mentoring skills?

Edited by EagleMBA
add text

Nobody on this site couldn't tell me they wouldn't be excited to get jake spavital. Especially if he could talk kyle allen in following him up here. He would bring a spark. Probably not as much as lincoln. But he has as much coaching experience as kliff when he took over for tech. With him mentoring under sumlim and holgerson we know the offense will be opened up for sure. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Nobody on this site couldn't tell me they wouldn't be excited to get jake spavital. Especially if he could talk kyle allen in following him up here. He would bring a spark. Probably not as much as lincoln. But he has as much coaching experience as kliff when he took over for tech. With him mentoring under sumlim and holgerson we know the offense will be opened up for sure. 

If Spavital convinced Kyle Allen, the number one QB prospect in the nation, to follow him to North Texas I would worship the ground he walked on. Point is, it ain't gonna happen.

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 2

Texas A&M: Kevin Sumlin denied a report that offensive coordinator Jake Spavtial will not return next season, saying on his radio show, per the Houston Chronicle, “I’m not going to talk about where that came from. … There’s nothing factual about that report.”

• Upvote 1

Nobody couldn't = Anybody could 

Translation:

"Anybody on this site could tell me they wouldn't be excited to get Jake Spavital."

Yes, that is correct.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1