Coach search notes (Smatresk’s take)

Harry

Maybe you should call his mommy. I dreamed of more. 

But I think you are dreaming. 

King, Dallas Green is not dreaming.  Now does it means that RV has no responsibility for the hires?  Absolutely he is still responsible .  What has always concerned me about these two facts is that if RV was so much against the hires, then why have we not ever heard that he took a stand?  I would at least have liked him to have stood up for something.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

CSU fired their AD last August, hired Mike Bobo away from UGA for $1+ Mil in early December, approved a $220 Mil stadium in mid December and finally hired an AD (from Texas Tech) the following March. Things can be done without an AD in place. However their leadership is probably leaps and bounds ahead of ours. 

Accountability and Demand for Excellence is hard here.

Rick

Our new coach will be the most highly compensated individual at the university,” Smatresk said. “When you expend a high level of money you want a high level of production. You want athletics to develop a sense of community at the university and produce revenue

Good god why would you say such a thing in public before even making the hire...unless of course the hire has already been completed.  If that's not the case and we're still interviewing it's as if we're athletic hillbilly's or  something?  What if the next guy would come for much less?  Isn't getting our best bang for our buck on anyone's mind up there..especially after the charge of inappropriate use of funds scandal?

Its just like how a poster on the reality board envisioned how an RV interview would go...

Say RV has been told that he can offer 5 years at $1.3 million a year. Say some unproven head coach, like Kendall Briles wants the job......but will not settle for less than 4 years at $900k a year. Here's how the "deal" might go down:

RV: "Well Kendall.....I'm prepared to offer you 5 years at $1.3 million a year, to be the new head football coach of the North Texas Mean Green."

(Kendall re-thinking his position)

KB: "Well that's very generous. But I was really hoping for 6 years at $1.5 million a year."

RV: "So that's how you want to play. Oh, okay....here's my FINAL offer.....7 years at $1.8 million a year. Take it or leave it." 

KB: "Oh, okay. But I don't want a buyout in there...if I leave for another school."

RV: "Oh there won't be. But if we fire you before the end of the deal......you get paid in full."

LOL!....I can honestly see it go down just like that.

Rick

• Downvote 3

“Our new coach will be the most highly compensated individual at the university,” ”"

When was the last time we heard that statement at North Texas ?   Answer.....never.

How refreshing is that.

Answer... Mac.  He made much more than even Smatresk makes now.  About twice as much.  And the new salary range tops out at twice that.

• Upvote 7

Accountability and Demand for Excellence is hard here.

Rick

Good god why would you say such a thing in public before even making the hire...unless of course the hire has already been completed.  If that's not the case and we're still interviewing it's as if we're athletic hillbilly's or  something?  What if the next guy would come for much less?  Isn't getting our best bang for our buck on anyone's mind up there..especially after the charge of inappropriate use of funds scandal?

Its just like how a poster on the reality board envisioned how an RV interview would go...

Rick

So, the "reality" board wants to go the cheap route?

Pull the plug!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Even Alabama's success didn't just happen. There was a plan.

"Alabama’s football pre-eminence on television and in the postseason, along with an aggressive plan to extend the university reach beyond the state, has helped attract a more academically-minded student body in the past decade from all over the country and served as the catalyst for more than $1.7 billion in fund-raising, according to those who have engineered the explosive growth."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/07/sports/ncaafootball/alabama-crimson-tide-football-marketing.html?emc=edit_th_20151106&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=61843218&_r=0

• Upvote 1