Does this make me an a-hole?

JesseMartin

I've had a few thoughts about our new coaching vacancy, but as you may have noticed, I've avoided the board because I really don't want to be drug down into the depths where I'm sure everyone else is while I'm in the midst of pushing forward with so many non-football-related projects at the moment.

Soooo...this may have already been mentioned, but...has anyone considered Portland State's HC as a candidate?  They destroyed us and upset Wazzu in the same season.  Is this yet another up-and-comer that we shouldn't (but, as we're North Texas, likely will) overlook?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We screwed the pooch and let him leave Texas after the game. Then they removed the "Interim" from him and named him "Head Coach" a couple of days after he got back to Portland with a solid contract. That's as close as we'll get to him.

Oh, this topic did not make you an anal sphincter.

Edited by EagleMBA

Reminds me of how NT got Tommy Newman as a basketball coach.  After a very embarrassing loss to Newman's coached Texas Wesleyan, NT hired Newman after the season despite him only having the one year college experience.  He was basically a disaster as coach with a 24-60 record at NT while playing the most boring basketball imaginable. 

Soooo...this may have already been mentioned, but...has anyone considered Portland State's HC as a candidate? 

Bruce Barnum is on a nice run this season, but it's just one season and he's only seven games into his head coaching career. He has zero ties to Texas or any state near Texas. He beat Washington State and UNT with his predecessor's recruits. I don't think he merits consideration.

Texas isn't magic.  They beat us with a roster full of guys not from Texas.

His recruiting tactic would not work here, Portland's coach said he only gives scholarships to college transfers not high school students. They don't lose the year of eligibility going to D1aa if I remember correctly. 

His recruiting tactic would not work here, Portland's coach said he only gives scholarships to college transfers not high school students. They don't lose the year of eligibility going to D1aa if I remember correctly. 

Agree.  I'm not on that boat.  But, I am on the boat of pointing out that merely recruiting players in Texas doesn't make your team great.  One national title out of the state of Texas since 1970; and, it's been a decade now since that one. 

What I want is a guy that will recruit the best we can get, no matter which state they prep in.

First unlike FBS, which is required to hand out full ride schollies, FCS can split scholarships into either a half or a quarter to help fill a roster.

Barnum just bumped up the players he thought deserved a full ride based on what they contributed.

According to the roster, out of 99 names on the roster, only 26 were either JUCO grads or FBS transfers. Since FCS is allowed 63 scholarships, there is still enough left to spread around to the HS players who Barnum thinks deserves a full or partial ride. It works out to just over 15 scholarships per class.

A player has to sit out a year if he transfers with the same level, hence if a FBS player drops down to FCS or an FCS player drops down to D-II they eligible to play right away.

Edited by caseyorourke
  • Upvote 1

First unlike FBS, which is required to hand out full ride schollies, FCS can split scholarships into either a half or a quarter to help fill a roster.

Barnum just bumped up the players he thought deserved a full ride based on what they contributed.

According to the roster, out of 99 names on the roster, only 26 were either JUCO grads or FBS transfers. Since FCS is allowed 63 scholarships, there is still enough left to spread around to the HS players who Barnum thinks deserves a full or partial ride. It works out to just over 15 scholarships per class.

A player has to sit out a year if he transfers with the same level, hence if a FBS player drops down to FCS or an FCS player drops down to D-II they eligible to play right away.

How shocking! You mean that Barnum actually has the audacity to reward demonstrated performance? What is this world coming to?

The Portland State coach has to be a good coach by virtue of his current record.  UNT can recruit anywhere but it seems logical to hire a coach that has ties to the high school coaching community and can hit the ground running. It would take several years for an out of state coach to develop a network of hs coaches. Closer to home we have Colby Carthel. He is an FCS coach at east texas A&M. His dad was a succesfull college coach in Texas. In 15 years Coach has been involved in recruiting 20 kids that have played in the NFL. That info came from him. All of those recruited on an FCS level. He has turned around programs, excelled at recruiting won a lot of games including his conference, this year. He is young but a proven recruiter and winner.  He is also close to home.  I just through this out because it seems to make sense.  There are many qualified candidates.  I have spent 50 years as an alum and fan. There have been to many years that I thought "well wait until next year" I would like to see UNT have a consistent winner before I run out of airspeed and altitude. Just the ramblings of an old fan.