Commentator during game

GreenTexan13

I remember some stud D-tackle from Denton played for LSU--the name escapes me at the moment--and said he wished he would have gotten an offer from UNT.  That may be, but I'm skeptical he ever would have actually signed.  This guy's bio says he had offers from Baylor and TCU--maybe he would have signed with us, maybe not, and I'm all for asking to find out--but I'm still skeptical about that comment.

• Upvote 2

First we need to do better at recruiting local talent. There is a LOT of room for improvement. The poor recruiting is one of the two biggest problems with the current coaching regime. (Yes, Canales is part of the current regime.)

But there will always be kids who don't get offers at their local schools who go and are very successful elsewhere. How many quality football players graduate in DFW verse the the total number of available scholarships even allowing for the fact lots are going to go to P5 schools. Texas, A&M, Baylor and TCU all miss kids in their backyards that play great games against them. 

Has anyone researched the number of offers versus available scholarships by P5 schools? Ditto for UNT and other C-USA schools? Does UNT tend not to extend offers to athletes with several P5 offers in hand. Looking at it differently, does UNT avoid making more offers than the number of available scholarships by skipping athletes likely to go elsewhere? If so, is that a key factor in missing good prospects?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, rws69 said:

Has anyone researched the number of offers versus available scholarships by P5 schools? Ditto for UNT and other C-USA schools? Does UNT tend not to extend offers to athletes with several P5 offers in hand. Looking at it differently, does UNT avoid making more offers than the number of available scholarships by skipping athletes likely to go elsewhere? If so, is that a key factor in missing good prospects?

Not sending in an offer guarantees not getting a commitment. Mike Muhney is a business man and visited one of my classes at UNT two years ago. His favorite quote is as follows: "Every attempt does not produce a hit, and every hit does not produce a home run. But every home run is the result of both an attempt and a hit." We need to throw offers at almost every p5 prospect in the area. If one accepts, then great! If none accept, then you have the same result you would have had had you not offered. 

• Upvote 3

Why devalue an offer by becoming Oprah?

have some self respect. If the kid has talent and he wants to go to UNT all he has to do is send an email. 

Yes, why devalue an offer by handing them out to P5 prospects in the area? Because our offers currently have so much value, we shouldn't dare devalue them. "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky. I didn't say hand them out to everybody, I just said those in the area. Those who might want to play closer to home. Those who might have ties to UNT or Denton. 

• Upvote 1

This past class under Coach Mccarney we offered almost exclusively to players who already either had P5 offers or had a lot of G5 offers and were borderline P5 prospects. Part of that was because our staff was lazy and was very late to the party with many kids.

Mccarney also stated that he didn't look at kids' offer lists when looking at who to offer. That might explain why he would offer some of these kids after they already had 20+ offers. This staff was a complete trainwreck when it came to the spring and summer evaluation period. That's why they decided to almost completely forego early recruiting. Another year of Mccarney and Grant as the recruiting coordinator would've been extremely detrimental to the future of this football team. It's imperative this hire can recruit well, and not just recruit well to good situations, but be a guy who is genuinely a good recruiter regardless of his product.

• Upvote 2

This past class under Coach Mccarney we offered almost exclusively to players who already either had P5 offers or had a lot of G5 offers and were borderline P5 prospects. Part of that was because our staff was lazy and was very late to the party with many kids.

Mccarney also stated that he didn't look at kids' offer lists when looking at who to offer. That might explain why he would offer some of these kids after they already had 20+ offers. This staff was a complete trainwreck when it came to the spring and summer evaluation period. That's why they decided to almost completely forego early recruiting. Another year of Mccarney and Grant as the recruiting coordinator would've been extremely detrimental to the future of this football team. It's imperative this hire can recruit well, and not just recruit well to good situations, but be a guy who is genuinely a good recruiter regardless of his product.

well said sir. 

A what is the recruiting coordinator to do if his boss says this is what we are going to do.  Didn't Riddle's father say it was Mac told Chico they were not going to sign a QB?  What were the assts. to do when their boss was telling them to start certain players or use certain schemes, etc.  

• Upvote 2

I admit that I don't know much about Riddle, and he is probably a diamond in the rough. However, if his skills were clearly D1 level worthy, wouldn't he have had some D1 offers coming out of high school?  

And now that he has gone through another season of prep school and still no offers, maybe Mac had a point?  

After watching the inconsistency of Smith for a couple of full games plus the prior series here and there, it appears Mac and the rest of the staff were not entirely off base. 

I hope we have more options on the way, just in case.