Empty backfield on offense

edcollopy

Agree.  Linebackers looked terrible today- Anthony Wallace seems like he could never get off a block. 

Our defense looked terrible in the first half.  They were better in the second, but still way too many misses tackles.

Defense settled down and played well in the second half. Give Smith some time at QB. Hopefully he will learn to audible to a play more suited for the look the defense is giving. The no back look w/ a blitzing defense just didn't work. It was a disaster. Hopefully this will be fixed in films this week. I know it wasn't a win, but I think it was a step in the right direction. If not for this season, then for the spring and next year.

• Upvote 1

Defense settled down and played well in the second half. Give Smith some time at QB. Hopefully he will learn to audible to a play more suited for the look the defense is giving. The no back look w/ a blitzing defense just didn't work. It was a disaster. Hopefully this will be fixed in films this week. I know it wasn't a win, but I think it was a step in the right direction. If not for this season, then for the spring and next year.

I'd he needs to learn to throw it away too. 

They need to quit sending in two plays for now, the runs on the edge were killing them.. We do that from the start and it's a bit more respectable and good lord can we run routes that aren't either all verts or a 3 yard out route? Also, getting a bit tired of Several players I won't mention specifics but anytime something doesn't go their way it's hands up slinging head around pouting like a 7th grader... Grow up. If it's a problem address it on the sidelines not between Lines! 

• Upvote 2

I agree. I hated the empty sets. I explained my reasoning a bit more here in the recap, but essentially I put it more on Canales' play calling than Smith. Relying on the guy with  limited practice as the starting QB to make those audibles is risky. Once Marshall showed that they could beat it with a pressure look, or simply bringing more than we could block, we should have made an adjustment. 

Smith had some bad plays (over throws, poor throws, bad reads) but we really could have helped him out with better play calls, and not getting away from the run so early.

They need to quit sending in two plays for now, the runs on the edge were killing them.. We do that from the start and it's a bit more respectable and good lord can we run routes that aren't either all verts or a 3 yard out route? Also, getting a bit tired of Several players I won't mention specifics but anytime something doesn't go their way it's hands up slinging head around pouting like a 7th grader... Grow up. If it's a problem address it on the sidelines not between Lines! 

There was one on a quick receiver screen that was horrible. Makes the whole team look poorly coached.

when you run an empty backfield the two guards and center dadgum should not let a LB walk up and run by untouched, it seems to happen everytime.  They have to let the outside DE loose so that QB can step up and make a play down the field but Smith always seems to be running for his life.

• Upvote 1

when you run an empty backfield the two guards and center dadgum should not let a LB walk up and run by untouched, it seems to happen everytime.  They have to let the outside DE loose so that QB can step up and make a play down the field but Smith always seems to be running for his life.

you realize anyway you slice it they had us outnumbered and we should have done 1 thing check to a new formation and not run that again, or all quick verts looking for the ball, NOW. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Downvote 1

Defenses are blitzing Smith heavily it seems because they know he's green.  The offensive line missed a couple of stunts vs Marshall that didn't help either.  Also, I saw JWilson get mollywhopped by the MLB on a 3rd down blitz pickup. It was ugly and caused a sack (if I remember correctly).  I'm expecting UTSA to take a page from Marshall's plan and show us a repeat of what we saw yesterday. The Offensive unit needs to figure this thing out quick if they want to keep drives alive vs the Roadrunners...

Edited by Got5onIt

This so much. 

This has been a problem for two seasons.