MGB: C-USA commissioner Banowsky stepping down

Brett Vito

Sounds like this guy is right where he needs to be.   Heavy basketball focus.  

We probably need someone who has more connections/focus around football.

If you are Charlotte, UAB, WKU, MTSU, ODU, and arguably UTEP you might be looking around saying "We've let a great basketball brand erode and need to do something about that."

• Upvote 5

If you are Charlotte, UAB, WKU, MTSU, ODU, and arguably UTEP you might be looking around saying "We've let a great basketball brand erode and need to do something about that."

This is very true. All of those schools have had banner basketball teams over the years, much bigger than their football programs. In some ways, I would rather see a commissioner who was focused on hoops than football. None of the lower G5 conferences can really the current situation we are now in, especially with the paying of players. But it doesn't cost nearly as much to have a basketball team become a winner on the national front because of the current setup in the NCAA and NIT Tournaments. Same actually applies to College Baseball, as well.

We all love college football, but we are basically forced to ride the ship in steerage, while the P5s ride first class. In the past, they allowed for one team to at least have a shot at visiting the top of the cruise line, but even that seems like it won't happen much longer. And at some point, the folks on the ship are probably gonna kick off the steerage to float on lifeboats to their next ship or harbor. The scary part of the entire equation is if the P5s really do fully separte at some point from the NCAA, taking their teams to a different setup for their teams. If that ever happens, ESPN, Fox, and CBS will be going absolutely crazy at the thought of only having their pet schools to cover for the future. CBS covers the P5 Basketball Toiurnament--plus the Big East, A_10, and the West Coast Conference, for example. ESPN covers the P5 College World Series. And Fox covers the P5 Football Playoff System. The G5s can probably exist if they fully separate football away from ever playing P5s again, but they cannot exist if the Basketball Tournaments and College World Sereis ever go away. You'd see several schools in the G5 and FCS probably give up on college sports if they cannot at least have the chance to participate in the college basketball and baseball tournaments. Football is one thing, but basketball and baseball, albeit much less popular than college football, are the two revenue sports that allow the little guys a chance at scheduling revenue games against the bigger schools and also gives them the opportunity to actually slay Goliath. I'd give away never playing a P5 school ever again right now if it meant that the NCAA Tournament and College World Series never change a bit in terms of who gets to play for a bid and that it includes everyone.

This guy was extremely impressive... thoughtful, reasonable... I hope that we try to find someone similar as a replacement and perhaps even look outside the box..

We need a salesman more than anything else... you can have a support staff that covers all the bylaws.  We need someone who can really play the game with the TV networks and also a creative mind who can help C-USA stand out in the group of 5...

Here's another wild thought -- how about a woman?  There are probably plenty who are qualified and would do a good job.

I guess I am not celebrating, but I am also not yet crying. Banowsky managed the realignmenr etc ok, but he also did make mistakes (getting the Floridas as a couple was questionable, getting ODU and charlotte to appease a ECU that was a sure bet to leave anyway. But at least he seemed to learn from the mistakes. For example I liked how the conference reacted to the UAB disaster. And he did rather well in TV negotioations etc.

I guess whether this is sad depends on the next commish (NOT Karl Benson please). I can imagine that some old AD could be good in this job, and maybe this is indeed the moment for RV to do this. I am sure he'd not only have UNT but also southern Miss support, that is a good start. I honestly think he might make a better comish than AD, but there would be other options too.

Edited by outoftown

Just say no to Caitlyn. Lol.

a marketer is indeed in order.  We are the strongest non power conference from Miami to El Paso, from south beach to the southwest.  We need a leader that trumpets our accomplishments and shows the world that cusa is above the mwc, above cougar queen and the American Airlines admirals club conference, the mac and sbc. Meanwhile go get northern Illinois while the Mac get wobbly.

GMG 

• Upvote 2

We do need a marketer at the helm of CUSA, but we also need a very good negotiator and a guy that will actually have expectations from his conference members. If he does these 3 things well and very well then everything else will fall into place. I am glad to get someone new. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

This guy was extremely impressive... thoughtful, reasonable... I hope that we try to find someone similar as a replacement and perhaps even look outside the box..

We need a salesman more than anything else... you can have a support staff that covers all the bylaws.  We need someone who can really play the game with the TV networks and also a creative mind who can help C-USA stand out in the group of 5...

Here's another wild thought -- how about a woman?  There are probably plenty who are qualified and would do a good job.

Got one on staff already at the CUSA office who is more than qualified.

Commissioners don't wield a lot of power. The most they can do is help set the perception with how they do they business and build consensus. Sometimes it may not be the path they want to take but getting the membership to the point of an agreement and walking out of the room still feeling like partners is often the best result they can get.

• Upvote 1

I"m always amazed a the intense blame fans to on various conference Commissioners. In general, no one likes their own commissioner very much or for very long. The commissioners act at the instructions of the college Presidents. They have input and certainly get to speak, but they don't get to vote. They get to negotiate contacts based on instructions from the Presidents, much like real estate agents. A good one can certainly help, but they can't overcome a bad client - group of Presidents. Likewise a bad one can hurt, but a well informed group of Presidents can stop them from doing any harm. If you get a poor commish and a poor group of President - see the WAC - then it's a disaster. 

Edited by VideoEagle