Bill Vogel

KRAM1

For many of us "older" timers on here, myself included, who remember Bill Vogel, I am saddened to report that Bill passed away on June 18th.  Bill was a member of the Mean Green family for a long time.  He even worked for UNT Athletics as "Promotions Director" for several years and could always been seen driving his Mean Green Machine van all over the place and wearing his bright green...Hayden Fry green...jacket!  Bill supported UNT and TWU both, but was a true Mean Greener who never met a stranger.

Bill was a super nice guy, and many of us....drex, Silver, etc. could probably share with you many Bill Vogel stories. In my opinion, if you knew Bill, you liked Bill.

Condolences go out to his family...especially to his wife, Ruth, of 69 years and to his children and grandchildren.  The Mean Green Nation lost a good guy!  RIP, Bill.

• Upvote 7

For many of us "older" timers on here, myself included, who remember Bill Vogel, I am saddened to report that Bill passed away on June 18th.  Bill was a member of the Mean Green family for a long time.  He even worked for UNT Athletics as "Promotions Director" for several years and could always been seen driving his Mean Green Machine van all over the place and wearing his bright green...Hayden Fry green...jacket!  Bill supported UNT and TWU both, but was a true Mean Greener who never met a stranger.

Bill was a super nice guy, and many of us....drex, Silver, etc. could probably share with you many Bill Vogel stories. In my opinion, if you knew Bill, you liked Bill.

Condolences go out to his family...especially to his wife, Ruth, of 69 years and to his children and grandchildren.  The Mean Green Nation lost a good guy!  RIP, Bill.

Hmmm, imagine that! An official with the athletic department consistently wearing the official green where ever they went in their official capacity as a representative of the athletic department.....or the alumni association.  I guess it's just gotten "old hat" to do such a thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bill Vogel was one of the really good guys in the world.  If there was an out of town athletic event he would load up a van full of UNT cheerleaders and hit the road.  When that bright green van rolled in you knew that North Texas was there.   I don't know how many miles he put on that van taking kids to events but it was a bunch.   He continued to support North Texas athletics after he was not working for the athletic department.   He would be at an event with his bright green jacket and cowboy hat.   He was one of a kind and the world is a poorer place because Bill Vogel is no longer here.

• Upvote 3

North Texas used to host keggers for fans before the game, including students back in the legal age of 18 days. They were held in the parking lot that was adjacent to the north end zone at Fouts. My recall is that it was Bill Vogel that hosted. He and Ruth certainly never missed one of those, if he wasn't hosting it outright.

Nice guy, great fan and always smiling. Saluting you, Mr. Vogel.

GMG

• Upvote 1

I was always keeping up with Bill and his promotions and energy level for promoting the athletic department.  He did a lot of great promotions and, of course, was always a really nice person.  It was his work ahead of me that gave me a basis for what I did when I took over the job of promotions, etc.  His smile and good humor will be missed, as will his example of unbelievable promotion of North Texas.

• Upvote 3

That Mean Green van was his personal vehicle.  Bill told me that it was his and that he paid to have it painted Mean Green.  A level of dedication difficult to match.

Thanks Bill.

GO MEAN GREN

Now, I never knew that. Hmmm, I wonder if it's still with the family parked in a barn somewhere.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2