Assistant Coach

EAGLE83

Do not know about the process of hiring at UNT, however, did notice that there are two assistant coach (AC) positions advertised one on 4/8/15 and the other 4/9/15. Also, noticed that the position(s) state open until filled. Also, think that JM wanted to have her ACs on board before the end of her 1st 44 days. If someone has information let us know.

GMG

I really find the Mitchell 44 days a farce at best. Would NT do this to a male coach? As a new coach, she should be spending her time recruiting, building a staff and focusing on the team. I hope and believe that is were her focus is, but you would never know it from the 44 days article.

Buying a home, attending social events, and visiting her old team are not what I would want my new head coach to be doing. I compare this with coverage of other new coaches, spending day and night recruiting and living in dorms until the basic program is established.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I really find the Mitchell 44 days a farce at best. Would NT do this to a male coach? As a new coach, she should be spending her time recruiting, building a staff and focusing on the team. I hope and believe that is were her focus is, but you would never know it from the 44 days article.

Buying a home, attending social events, and visiting her old team are not what I would want my new head coach to be doing. I compare this with coverage of other new coaches, spending day and night recruiting and living in dorms until the basic program is established.

Maybe you know something I don't; I did not gather that these things were so time consuming that they came at the expense of getting her job rolling with players/new coaches.

• Upvote 1

This doesn't make much sense (if true). You would think that a first time HC would reach out to someone with a lot more experience. I know we all want Jalie to be successful but you have to question this potential hire. Foreman isn't much older than the kids she will be coaching.

Would Tina Slinker consider coming back as an assistant to help Jalie like Rob Evans to Tony Benford?

• Upvote 3

I know this want happen but she could keep her day job:

"I have spent 26 years being involved in and now following the women’s basketball program at North Texas. I am writing in hopes of accumulating support, not that she needs it, for newly named head coach, Jalie Mitchell, one of UNT’s finest and someone who can re-establish alumni support and lead the program in a positive and productive direction.

Mitchell needs your support and understanding of the task involved.

For the past seven years since my contract was not renewed, I have followed the program and thought a great deal about why it continues to struggle. I understand better today, than ever, that it was certainly time for a change and remain hopeful that the program can regain the respect it once had."

Tina Slinker

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20150411-tina-slinker-support-for-new-coach-wanted1.ece

This doesn't make much sense (if true). You would think that a first time HC would reach out to someone with a lot more experience. I know we all want Jalie to be successful but you have to question this potential hire. Foreman isn't much older than the kids she will be coaching.

Would Tina Slinker consider coming back as an assistant to help Jalie like Rob Evans to Tony Benford?

I actually think Slinker has a great job as Athletic Director for the Hockaday School, probably the highest profile private girls school in this area. Plus, I think she's already got that second job with her speaking engagements. I d think we have a part in her motivational speaking narrative, as one of the setbacks she overcame.

I actually think Slinker has a great job as Athletic Director for the Hockaday School, probably the highest profile private girls school in this area. Plus, I think she's already got that second job with her speaking engagements. I d think we have a part in her motivational speaking narrative, as one of the setbacks she overcame.

Maybe. Sounds like she has the itch to get back in the college game. I would think its hard to walk away from something you've done for 26 years. We can only have her to tell us no.

Speaking of the women, how many scholarships does Jalie have to work with? (Unable to get on the site) How many did Peterson sign and does Jalie plan on honoring all of them? What is the biggest need on the roster? Unfortunatly, I never could understand what Peterson was doing with the roster and haven't kept up.

Agree.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2