Where to start with the media

Howdy all!

I recently started a job as Grants Manager at the Child Study Center in Fort Worth and I'm loving it! Today, my boss asked me to help our Marketing/PR person compile a list of media contacts in DFW, particularly in respect to children's health or special education (our two main fields of service). The only problem: I have no idea where to start. The most influential circle I'm a part of is this message board (take that as a big fat compliment)! If anyone can give me some guidance, I'll buy you a beer when football starts back up. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Go Mean Green!

-Tyler Maryak

tmaryak@cscfw.org

• Upvote 1

Howdy all!

I recently started a job as Grants Manager at the Child Study Center in Fort Worth and I'm loving it! Today, my boss asked me to help our Marketing/PR person compile a list of media contacts in DFW, particularly in respect to children's health or special education (our two main fields of service). The only problem: I have no idea where to start. The most influential circle I'm a part of is this message board (take that as a big fat compliment)! If anyone can give me some guidance, I'll buy you a beer when football starts back up. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Go Mean Green!

-Tyler Maryak

tmaryak@cscfw.org

If you have any kind of budget, there are services that range from high end tools like Cision's media database to others like Vocus and Cision. Most will give you a free trial if you contact them with interest for a week or so - just be willing to sit through some demo meetings and be prepared to be a regular follow up contact (which is fine and manageable.)

You can also figure out your main outlets (TV Stations. DMN, FWST, FW Business Press, DBJ, dailies and relevant blogs) and work backwards. This can involve reviewing relevant coverage, assignment pages, adding general contacts/news desks/tip lines oreven the old school calling of the main station number, introducing yourself to an editorial assistant and asking who the best contact is.

Hopefully that's enough to get started, but if you have questions or need anything else more specific, feel free to post or PM me. Good luck and congrats on the new job!

• Upvote 3

Welcome Tyler. My kids have been going to their pediatrician there for 14 years. As Quoner has pointed out youve come to the right place for media advice.

Rick

FIREFIGHTNRICK!!! I saw a pickup that had been vomited on by a spirited Mean Green Eagle and I almost had a stroke from the excitement. That must have been you! I'm glad your kids are getting this best treatment; this place has impressed me beyond belief. Thanks again!

Thanks Quoner! We're a non-profit, so sadly not much for a PR budget, but I can definitely use your work backwards advice. If I get any good contacts, I'm gonna ask for a bonus!

I would definitely consider the free trial if it's a one-off build. If you can demonstrate the value, they know it might pay off down the road (and if you wait until the end of a month or quarter, the commission based rep will start working with you on budget.) Since your beat is so specific, you should be able to get what you need backwards - I would start with education, lifestyle, assignment desks and then any reporter you see who has done something either on you guys or any similar group.

• Upvote 1

Tyler - my wife is going to email you directly with some assistance. She's a reporter.

Howdy all!

Go Mean Green!

-Tyler Maryak

tmaryak@cscfw.org

• Upvote 1

Check your email, Tyler.

Howdy all!

Go Mean Green!

-Tyler Maryak

tmaryak@cscfw.org

• Upvote 1

Just a reminder that y'all are all awesome and the MeanGreenNation/GoMeanGreen network is the most wonderful thing in the world!

Quoner and a lot of other folks on here are some of the smartest dudes you'll talk to. I think you and I are about the same age and these guys are great contacts to have in any area of your career. Come out to tailgate come football season and come hang with me and some of the "old dudes of the board," they know how to have a good time too.

• Upvote 2

I'm surprised more people don't use this for career help/advise, I guess a lot of folks on here are alright pretty well established. Its a great resource for us young folk. As much as we bicker sometimes I think anyone on here is willing to help out at any given time.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 3

As much as we bicker sometimes I think anyone on here is willing to help out at any given time.

Yes.

Quoner and a lot of other folks on here are some of the smartest dudes you'll talk to.

No.

• Upvote 2