MGB: Signing day wrap-up thoughts

Brett Vito

“I would like to finish my career at North Texas, but if we don’t get better at quarterback and a lot of other positions on this team, then I am not going to finish my career at North Texas,” McCarney said. “I would like to stay here and be here. Me and my family love this place.”

Well then.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wonder if he'll be able to transfer that sense of urgency to the players. It's all well and good claiming you're coaching for your job but as we've seen with Benford, this AD are recalcitrant at best to buy out remaining years on coaches contracts.

I can't see RV having the cajones to fire a guy just two years removed from a five-year extension with an option for six.

I can't see RV having the cajones to fire a guy just two years removed from a five-year extension with an option for six.

Especially after RV has put said coach in a competitive disadvantage situation by scheduling 2 whore games, no bye week, and only 5 home games in the upcoming season.

Next season shouldn't be used to evaluate Mac as a coach negatively, only positively, like if he somehow manages to pull 6 wins out of the train wreck of a schedule he was handed.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Exactly how I read it. "If we don't win next year, I'm going to be looking for another job."

QB's make or break coaches.

The way the QB was emphasized and the comment that the coaches are responsible for the talent of the positions they coach, Chico is the one on notice. Chico will be the scapegoat if we have a horrible season. It wont be Mac, it wont be Cosh cause it will be his first year.

Hard schedule for Chico to have to turn the offense around, but we do have 6 games against young/unproven secondaries.

With as much speculation as there has been on Kevin Dillman's future position, I would have liked to have seen some type of quote from Mac, Dillman or Walsh on WHY Dillman is not being considered for quarterback. I know what I have heard, but I would like to have heard it straight from one of the individuals above, especially since Mac was so adamant that he is a tight end. Seems that is relevant info considering Dillman's recruiting history.

• Upvote 1

Especially after RV has put said coach in a competitive disadvantage situation by scheduling 2 whore games, no bye week, and only 5 home games in the upcoming season.

Next season shouldn't be used to evaluate Mac as a coach negatively, only positively, like if he somehow manages to pull 6 wins out of the train wreck of a schedule he was handed.

Complelely agree--I really like Mac as the face of the program, as long as his positivity holds up. He's just stubborn in his gameplan, which is the hardest thing to deal with when you don't have skill players that can make plays. But if he wins more than 4 games this upcoming season, it will show us a lot about his system that depends greatly on line development. As a matter of fact, 5 wins or more makes me feel like he's well deserving of the extension he got. The schedule he has been dealt here is daunting for a G5 school in CUSA. It would astound me to see us get more than 4 wins. I just don't see it, no matter who the QB is. But McNulty is his guy and he's gonna lean on the senior at least in the first month of the season. Seriously, that SMU game will tell us a lot if we lose. We may not get more than 2 wins if we cannot beat the Ponies.

No matter what, McCareny ain't getting fired after next season. We cannot afford to buy out 3 years of the largest contract ever given out in school history. Maybe two years (doubtful), but defintiely not three. Coach Mac is just showing you how much he wants to get the thing back on track here, not because he's on any hot seat. The seat doesn't get hot until 2016 at the earliest. I still maintain that he will retire at the end of his 2018 contract if he doesn't get another extension. And the BOR here would be very glad with that, so as not to pay out any buyout. Canales is the one on the hot seat--make no mistake about it...

Edited by untjim1995

Complelely agree--I really like Mac as the face of the program, as long as his positivity holds up. He's just stubborn in his gameplan, which is the hardest thing to deal with when you don't have skill players that can make plays. But if he wins more than 4 games this upcoming season, it will show us a lot about his system that depends greatly on line development. As a matter of fact, 5 wins or more makes me feel like he's well deserving of the extension he got. The schedule he has been dealt here is daunting for a G5 school in CUSA. It would astound me to see us get more than 4 wins. I just don't see it, no matter who the QB is. But McNulty is his guy and he's gonna lean on the senior at least in the first month of the season. Seriously, that SMU game will tell us a lot if we lose. We may not get more than 2 wins if we cannot beat the Ponies.

No matter what, McCareny ain't getting fired after next season. We cannot afford to buy out 3 years of the largest contract ever given out in school history. Maybe two years (doubtful), but defintiely not three. Coach Mac is just showing you how much he wants to get the thing back on track here, not because he's on any hot seat. The seat doesn't get hot until 2016 at the earliest. I still maintain that he will retire at the end of his 2018 contract if he doesn't get another extension. And the BOR here would be very glad with that, so as not to pay out any buyout.

Anyone wanting McCarney's contract bought out must not give a flip about UNT basketball.

• Upvote 2

With as much speculation as there has been on Kevin Dillman's future position, I would have liked to have seen some type of quote from Mac, Dillman or Walsh on WHY Dillman is not being considered for quarterback. I know what I have heard, but I would like to have heard it straight from one of the individuals above, especially since Mac was so adamant that he is a tight end. Seems that is relevant info considering Dillman's recruiting history.

If Mccarney had a good track record of producing QBs here, I wouldn't be as adamant about him being at least given a shot. I would still want us to give him a shot, but it wouldn't be as big a deal.

After signing Smith and Chumley this class, Mccarney has now signed 9 quarterbacks in 5 classes at UNT. Including JUCO QBs in 4 of the 5 classes. And we don't have much to show for it, from those guys.

As good as prospect as Damarcus Smith appears to be, we're rolling the dice on him with him not graduating until May. That's very risky. Not only will he miss spring practice, but May graduates don't have a great rate of making it in. He should, but even if he pans out, he's gone in two years. The future of the QB position is as concerning as it gets on this roster. We really need at least one of Means, Dajon, or Chumley to step up big and stake claim to the title of "QB of the future". We need these young guys to actually start panning out and not just expecting them to, and then having to go take a chance on another JUCO because they don't. Hell, it's definitely not a sure thing Dillman would pan out, but I just think trying to address the future of the QB position is more important than tight end. But we'll see. Hopefully someone steps up

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

McCarney isn't entitled and doesn't expect to keep his job if he doesn't produce. However, RV hasn't done him any favors what-so-ever with his scheduling and certain budget restrictions. I feel like that somewhat already tumultuous relationship is going to come to a head eventually. Can anyone confirm what I heard that RV was not at the signing event? What a debacle. Broadcast didn't work, no audio.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

McCarney isn't entitled and doesn't expect to keep his job if he doesn't produce. However, RV hasn't done him any favors what-so-ever with his scheduling and certain budget restrictions. I feel like that somewhat already tumultuous relationship is going to come to a head eventually. Can anyone confirm what I heard that RV was not at the signing event? What a debacle. Broadcast didn't work, no audio, and the AD doesn't even show up.

RV was there. That's where he let Jub know he's being inducted into the HOF.

B9Bny4jIMAAxaUD.jpg

RV was there. That's where he let Jub know he's being inducted into the HOF.

B9Bny4jIMAAxaUD.jpg

You can confirm this was at the signing day event? Someone who went said they did not see RV there.

ETA: Okay he was there, the person must have left before he got there. Looks like he doesn't pop in until the last bit of the hour.

This was the faulty broadcast you were speaking of from yesterday. RV shows up at the very end.

As for the evening event, I'm not sure. I didn't go, but I bet someone here could confirm/deny.

He must not have been there when McCarney was speaking is what I heard. Might be part of the reason Mac was being so candid. Looks like they were about to end it and then Rick popped in on time to talk to them. Maybe it was just a surprise thing for George but it seemed like he was really about to sign-off.

You can confirm this was at the signing day event? Someone who went said they did not see RV there.

ETA: Okay he was there, the person must have left before he got there. Looks like he doesn't pop in until the last bit of the hour.

RV was there before it started (I talked to him about the video problems), he spoke early and answered several questions from the audience at the end. The person that said he wasn't there is either blind or did not actually attend themself or has no clue who RV is. No way you could miss seeing him there. Where this stuff comes from and why folks post this garbage as fact is beyond comprehension. Way way to easy to check the facts before posting. But...only at North Texas!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5