McDonald's by UNT shutting down?

Harry

So seriously, other than a wider interstate, what are the plans for that area? Are we looking upscale retail district a la Westwood outside the entrance of UCLA?

What does an attractive facade to a university look like? I've really never considered it.

Outside UCLA, pretty much every college campus I've ever seen is immediately bordered by cheap food, cheap booze, and fly by night operations preying on the young and ignorant.

Does UNT have a say in what development happens in this area?

I'm not arguing for Sack N Save here at all. That is a done deal, and we'd be beating a severely decomposed horse corpse to bring up the topic again. I'm trying to look forward because all I've seen so far is that things are getting torn down. What's getting built in their places?

So seriously, other than a wider interstate, what are the plans for that area? Are we looking upscale retail district a la Westwood outside the entrance of UCLA?

What does an attractive facade to a university look like? I've really never considered it.

Outside UCLA, pretty much every college campus I've ever seen is immediately bordered by cheap food, cheap booze, and fly by night operations preying on the young and ignorant.

Does UNT have a say in what development happens in this area?

I'm not arguing for Sack N Save here at all. That is a done deal, and we'd be beating a severely decomposed horse corpse to bring up the topic again. I'm trying to look forward because all I've seen so far is that things are getting torn down. What's getting built in their places?

I would image lots of mixed use development (a la Fry Street area) with upscale retail.

I would image lots of mixed use development (a la Fry Street area) with upscale retail.

I think I actually do kinda like the residential units atop retail establishments of the new fry street except that were I a student, I bet I'd be priced out of there right quick by aggressive property management trying to jack up leases every five days. But with the development of Industrial, Hickory and Oak Street downtown, I have spent very little time on Fry Street since my previous experiences there tended to be 19 year old girls storming in the front doors, arms raised to the sky, screaming the mating call of "Let's do some MFing shooooots!"

• Upvote 1

I think I actually do kinda like the residential units atop retail establishments of the new fry street except that were I a student, I bet I'd be priced out of there right quick by aggressive property management trying to jack up leases every five days. But with the development of Industrial, Hickory and Oak Street downtown, I have spent very little time on Fry Street since my previous experiences there tended to be 19 year old girls storming in the front doors, arms raised to the sky, screaming the mating call of "Let's do some MFing shooooots!"

I feel ya. The market is what the market is. If the Fry Street units aren't full, I doubt you see mixed use development along I35.

But I also bet that the Fry St units are full, because if they aren't, prices would come down until they were.

Also, take a drive around UTA and TCU and you will see these same type of developments. It's all the rage (and I like it for a multitude of reasons).

I never knew Fry St. was so much like our tailgate...

Edited by UNT90

Exxon and McDonald's will be razed for realigned frontage road. Sack 'n Save sign and much of parking lot will also go. Realigned frontage road at NT Blvd will be nice, as that has been a mess for years. Not sure where UNT is on getting permission to buy Sack 'n Save property for university use. I think IHOP stays. Only Exxon was there by the time I graduated, but Sack 'n Save was something else (Gibson's?).

• Upvote 2