Denton Fracking Ban Looks to have Passed

you're either trying to tell us something about your shifting political ideologies, or you're just remarkably poor with self-awareness.

Poor little lib. You still don't get it and still can't help yourself.

My comment was that a vote on an issue was really stupid.

Your reply was to criticize me personally.

Proving the point.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Cant remember where I saw it, but there were statistics put out there from a certain councilman that said the profits made from the drilling were minimal. Don't have time to dig for it now, but I'll try and look it up later.

Quite possibly, as the price of natural gas has nosedived as of late. I do know that the City of Arlington made a really pretty penny on mineral rights due to natural gas drilling. I would think that the City of Denton owned a large amount of land. Of course, knowing that backward thinking city government, they probably never let the oil companies drill in the first place.

It would be interesting to know how much land the city owned over the shale and the lost revenue that will occur as a result.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Poor little lib. You still don't get it and still can't help yourself.

My comment was that a vote on an issue was really stupid.

Your reply was to criticize me personally.

Proving the point.

Now you're resorting to semantics and name calling.... God you'd hate yourself if you weren't you.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Now you're resorting to semantics and name calling.... God you'd hate yourself if you weren't you.

Calling him a lib isn't name calling. It's how he has defined himself, just like I have defined myself as a conservative. You can call me that all day long.

If you don't understand the difference between criticizing an issue, vote, or policy and calling someone a stupid MFer, well, I just can't help you.

It doesn't surprise me though, as this is what has been drilled into you since about 4th grade.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Quite possibly, as the price of natural gas has nosedived as of late. I do know that the City of Arlington made a really pretty penny on mineral rights due to natural gas drilling. I would think that the City of Denton owned a large amount of land. Of course, knowing that backward thinking city government, they probably never let the oil companies drill in the first place.

It would be interesting to know how much land the city owned over the shale and the lost revenue that will occur as a result.

Found it: http://rodenfordenton.com/2014/07/fracking-and-dentons-economy-a-quick-response-to-the-perryman-study/

Granted, no matter how much total money Denton gets from property taxes, $561,894 is nothing to sneeze at. That's quite a bit of money to pass up.

But, if the citizens would rather live without the wells all around and the possible repercussions of them, then that's their choice.

However you feel about it, it's pretty impressive (and so very Denton) that a grassroots group of people were able to beat the oil/gas companies in the booths, and I applaud that effort.

• Upvote 2

Denton has something like 250+ drill set-ups in the city limits, actually. The fact the city officials allowed so many set-ups in the first place is sort of the root, but not the cause of the problem. The issue is that the city didn't factor in the growth and spread of residential areas, and they didn't manage to wrangle in the energy companies when they had the opportunity to do so, like (I think KRAM1) said, they punted the ball. If the city officials got more involved earlier on, some sort of compromise might've been met.

Here's a funny tidbit: the man who devised shale extraction (fracking) learned from one of his early experiences in oil when he was working in Galveston. In order to drill for oil, his company would have to set up a rig in city limits, near residences. He basically set up a pretty discrete, low profile rig, got friendly with the locals and it all worked out. He said the extraction process could do a lot of good as far as energy independence and positive environmental impact. He also said that the industry will do what it wants to people and the planet if left to its own devices.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 1

^^^

Says people who don't have to unexpectedly live 100 feet from an industrial well site.

Yeah, how many homes have one pop up right next to them over night without agreements and mineral rights? Few if any.

We have countless well sites here in Weatherford with few complaints. The closest to me is about 500 yards to the Southeast but I don't mind cause I get paid for it and I still have Turkey, Deer and countless other wildlife roaming across my property and two different species of Hawks nesting in my creek bed. If they don't mind it I don't either.

Rick

The irony in this is how the county GOP so quickly and enthusiastically sided with the gas industry, dedicating tens of thousands of dollars to support corporations against citizens, and that the state commissioners embrace big government dictating what local government and citizens are allowed to do.

The county GOP was completely tone deaf on this one!

This never stops you on global warming, why let it stop you here?

Don't be such a P.

Yeah, putting aside the arguments of what fracking chemicals can or cannot do to the environment and health of nearby residents, there is no doubt on the following side effects of fracking:

- It's loud, 24 hours a day.

- It's an eyesore.

- It uses tens of thousands of gallons of water for each drilling site.

- It required hundreds of trucks rumbling through our neighborhood well over the speed limit and tearing up our roads.

- It puts SOMETHING into the air (our cars were coated by some kind of greasy film every morning for 3 months)

Put this less than 200 feet from your back door, and it will certainly change your mind. It changed mine.

• Upvote 4

The irony in this is how the county GOP so quickly and enthusiastically sided with the gas industry, dedicating tens of thousands of dollars to support corporations against citizens, and that the state commissioners embrace big government dictating what local government and citizens are allowed to do.

Agree with you, but the frack free folks jumped quickly and sided with their outside supporters as well...sure much smaller donation levels but greater actual hands on participation in rounding up supporters and teaching tactics. Showed that hands on can trump just throwing money at it in local elections...and, of course setting up a voting site right on campus. Would love to see the precinct by precinct early and General voting tallies. Could prove most interesting.

Hey...sent you a PM on another matter...please check it out and respond when you have a moment. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, putting aside the arguments of what fracking chemicals can or cannot do to the environment and hiealth of nearby residents, there is no doubt on the following side effects of fracking:

- It's loud, 24 hours a day.

- It's an eyesore.

- It uses tens of thousands of gallons of water for each drilling site.

- It required hundreds of trucks rumbling through our neighborhood well over the speed limit and tearing up our roads.

- It puts SOMETHING into the air (our cars were coated by some kind of greasy film every morning for 3 months)

Put this less than 200 feet from your back door, and it will certainly change your mind. It changed mine.

Here is a question I have not seen answered, but saw it in some of the literature sent out....how many of those homes were built after the drilling permits were issued and drilling had started in the proximity of the homes? Perhaps at distances greater than 200 feet? I cannot imagine that being the case, but stranger things have happened.

If homes were built after this was a known drilling permitted area it smacks of buying or building a home near an airport and then complaining about the noise from planes flying overhead.

• Downvote 3

In Fort Worth near my fire station the south side twin drive in theater on Riverside had crumbled down over the past 3 decades and a nasty looking forest of vines and scrub trees had overgrown the area and it's remaining buildings had become an eyesore and a haven for crack addict communities. It was a filthy place to have to climb into to help someone. Anyhow, XTO came in, bulldozed it off, fenced it off and drilled. Then after the work was completed they planted shrubs around the perimeter. I mean, it's not the botanical garden or anything but it sure as hell improved the area and the view from the freeway as visitors pass through on I 30.

Rick

• Downvote 1

Anyone ever have to stare at a drill going full bore at 230am right outside their home? I have and it sucks a fat one. I lived at the Meadows of Hickory Creek near Argyle and the drills were set up on either side of our neighborhood. One literally was right across the street from me. The pompous energy companies could give 2 shits about residents. Tearing up neighborhood roads and working at all hours of the night, giving us residents the middle finger. Drill into the shale outside of the city limits, not in my freaking backyard....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 4

Lol. Not 'ironic' at all!

Do you think the gas industry contributed anything to these guys' campaigns? Gotta please your friends... constituents be damned.

• Upvote 2

LOL, that well is still in process. Patience can go a long way. Give it time and things will return back to normal. Tens of thousands have the same thing. I do as well. It's noisy at first but it doesn't last forever.

Rick

Your position here is always baffling given that you are FirefightinRick.

You have to know of the incredibly harmful VOCs the flowback from the well in that video is spewing forth.

• Upvote 5

Your position here is always baffling given that you are FirefightinRick.

You have to know of the incredibly harmful VOCs the flowback from the well in that video is spewing forth.

Yes, your right. I can see the bodies piling up in the background there. Better call 911.

Seriously, you have no idea what that is.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I mean, where is Erin Brokovich when you need her.

She would be the perfect mayor for Denton...

About twelve years ago I worked next door to Beverly Hills High School. That whole Erin Brokovich oil rig was by then decorated in this weird broken pieces of shiny tile and concrete mosaic urban art. Leave it to California to turn a monument to oil vs. hippie lawyers into freaky art for all to see on their daily commute.

But really, the more I think about this, conservatives are, to my understanding, for stronger local government, weaker state government, and hands off federal government, or something roughly along those lines, right? By that logic, shouldn't the residents of a given municipality have the right to decide via popular vote whether or not a given activity may legally take place within their city limits? Maybe you believe that population is misinformed in their decision, but the bottom line is that it's their decision to make for their land, misinformed or otherwise.