Texas will begin to pay players $10,000 per year

untjim1995

There is no way we can afford to even pay half of that figure. Maybe not even a quarter of it.

CUSA was the first conference to agree to pay a stipend ti cover "full cost of school attendance". I think that schools in the conference are allowed to figure out what that cost is. The only school I know that has talked actual dollar amounts is ODU, which set it at $2k.

The $5k for likeness is a separate issue, and I believe that money will come from NCAA disbursements, since the NCAA is the entity selling and receiving permission for the license.

The UT $10K DOES INCLUDE the $5k license amount. So ODU's $2K announcement actually combines to be $7K total.

Uh huh. If North Texas ever goes this direction, I promise that will immediately quit supporting the Mean Green Club, and will encourage others to do the same. I would much rather drop down to 1AA and maintain some semblance of our integrity than to have North Texas athletics become semi-pro.

North Texas has already agreed to this as part of the CUSA agreement.

A federal judge has ruled that the FLOOR of the likeness payment is $5k. The NCAA has created a committee that will meet next month to set a CEILING for the combined payments to athletes.

I am guessing UT feels that their $10k combined is either within that ceiling, or thinks they can set the ceiling to be $10k and instead of waiting are trying to make PR splash announcing early/

• Upvote 1

In the interest of truth, instead of reactionary emotional outbursts:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/longhorns/2014/10/pattersons-stipend-comments-misconstrued/

But because all of those appeals are still pending, UT has no plans to start paying players now. And if the NCAA loses those appeals, the Longhorns would not be the only program paying $10,000 per student-athlete. Most major programs would do so.

$800 a month. Seems fair. You all have been demanding that UNT football players need to get bigger, stronger and faster. Bigger,stronger and faster at this level requires a full time commitment and it is not cheap . That means the time to workout during the summer and more so the ability to eat what you HAVE to, not what you want to. You cannot gain weight by skipping meals because you have to pay rent and utilities. You also cannot work for half the school year because the NCAA does not allow it.

AND I am not going to compare what scholarship athletes have to deal with to regular students because they are NOT the same. Each has their own significant challanges.

I think if a reasonable ceiling is put in place, I can get on board with this.

But I am fully aware of the fact that this forever changes the game. Also aware of the fact that the game was forever changed as soon as the conferences started raking in millions with TV deals. It's a mess. And college football as we once knew it is in fact dead. Whether or not this new version will be new AND improved remains to be seen. But doesn't bode well for schools like UNT...

...unless a renewed commitment is made, followed by a signifiant capital drive. AND RAISING THE ATHLETIC FEE.

At that point the U will have to ask itself if it's all worth it.

Edited by Eagle1855

But I am fully aware of the fact that this forever changes the game. Also aware of the fact that the game was forever changed as soon as the conferences started raking in millions with TV deals.

T0JVuk3.gif

CFB died when the TV money came in. People should have thrown a fit then. I don't understand how it's perfectly OK for schools, coaches, AD's, TV presenters, NCAA admins, etc to make BILLIONS, but as soon as the players decide they deserve a share it a travesty?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Then you're parents should help out. If they don't have enough money to help out then you should be able to get a grant (or NCAA should have a grant program). If your parents do have the money to help but either don't or maybe have financial burdens, then take out a loan. If you're in that bracket where your parents make too much money for a grant but can't really help you out much in college, then you were going to have to take out a lot of loans to get through college either way. The scholarship means you don't have to take out as much loan money as you would've if you had never received a scholarship, since you'll only be using it for stuff like gas and groceries and such (food and room and board are paid for).

That's my view on the "we need extra money to get through college" issue. As for the issue of players making money off their likenesses and getting a cut of the big bucks they're making for that program, you can't really argue against that IMO.

Good post. You are totally correct.

Look on the bright side. We could pay each player $10,000 with the payment of 1 bodybag game.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And the can of worms has been opened....

This will lead into a more decisive split among the P5's, no way all 60ish if those schools can sustain that.

Next we'll see limits raised by position, so on & so forth...

Within the next decade QBs will be commanding $50k year and down the line by position. Bidding wars, etc. the sky's the limit when you can write your own rules.

The silver lining in this is that the schools that choose or can't sustain this minor league trend, will have to move back into the G5 arena. It's intriguing to think of what this league can do with sole control of its future. Americans love football, there's a way to keep this moving, sustainable, & entertaining...

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2

And the can of worms has been opened....

This will lead into a more decisive split among the P5's, no way all 60ish if those schools can sustain that.

Next we'll see limits raised by position, so on & so forth...

Within the next decade QBs will be commanding $50k year and down the line by position. Bidding wars, etc. the sky's the limit when you can write your own rules.

The silver lining in this is that the schools that choose or can't sustain this minor league trend, will have to move back into the G5 arena. It's intriguing to think of what this league can do with sole control of its future. Americans love football, there's a way to keep this moving, sustainable, & entertaining...

This^

For those not concerned about the 10k, remember that is a starting point. If the amount is left solely to the individual institutions expect this number to skyrocket in a handful of years. "Texas pays 10k? Well, we here at Ohio state pay 15!" The truth is either of those two schools and a select group of others could pay 100k if needed. If it means national championships, full stadiums and tshirt sales why would they not?

I didn't read through the entire thread but The Fake touched on it early:

I predict high school players will sue the NCAA to lift the scholarship cap on grounds that they are being discriminated against by not being allowed on the gravy train.

Really curious how the non-rich schools football programs will evolve. And frankly, this will impact every NCAA sport.

I think I read this right: Found it interesting that Texas says it has 350 paid employees to serve its athletes. And when each athlete (including Olympic sports) gets its 15K, even Texas will have to cut its employees.

Wearing a black arm band.

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 1

Then you're parents should help out. If they don't have enough money to help out then you should be able to get a grant (or NCAA should have a grant program). If your parents do have the money to help but either don't or maybe have financial burdens, then take out a loan. If you're in that bracket where your parents make too much money for a grant but can't really help you out much in college, then you were going to have to take out a lot of loans to get through college either way. The scholarship means you don't have to take out as much loan money as you would've if you had never received a scholarship, since you'll only be using it for stuff like gas and groceries and such (food and room and board are paid for).

That's my view on the "we need extra money to get through college" issue. As for the issue of players making money off their likenesses and getting a cut of the big bucks they're making for that program, you can't really argue against that IMO.

Good post.

College is when many kids learn the value of budgeting, handling their own money, the actual value of the education they are getting through student loans, etc.

This will further enable the college athlete to delay worrying about such things. It tells them that they don't need to grow up and it does them no favors for when their playing days are over and they actually have to get a job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Good post.

College is when many kids learn the value of budgeting, handling their own money, the actual value of the education they are getting through student loans, etc.

This will further enable the college athlete to delay worrying about such things. It tells them that they don't need to grow up and it does them no favors for when their playing days are over and they actually have to get a job.

Or, it will teach them a valuable lesson about work, and how when you work hard, you get paid. And if you screw up, you get cut (fired), and the pay disappears. You can argue it both ways.

It isn't the school's job to teach people how to budget and handle money. Learning such things is a byproduct of the college experience at large. It isn't the focal point.

I fail to see how paying scholarship athletes teaches the value of an education. Let's be real: being a D-1 college football player is already the furthest thing from a traditional college experience at a four-year university. The O'Bannon decision underscores that fact.

• Upvote 1

Or, it will teach them a valuable lesson about work, and how when you work hard, you get paid. And if you screw up, you get cut (fired), and the pay disappears. You can argue it both ways.

It isn't the school's job to teach people how to budget and handle money. Learning such things is a byproduct of the college experience at large. It isn't the focal point.

I fail to see how paying scholarship athletes teaches the value of an education. Let's be real: being a D-1 college football player is already the furthest thing from a traditional college experience at a four-year university. The O'Bannon decision underscores that fact.

Just realizes that you are in favor of an NFL farm system. And that's fine.

The $10k cap is just the starting point. What about the P5 shows you one centilla of restraint? Soon after the cap will be raised, at first on the money paid to players and then on scholarship numbers. The caps will eventually be eliminated all together.

Just realize that what you are ok with right now is just the first step to further the monopoly that is the P5.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In before the Apogee seat licenses go up to a bajillion kajillion dollars. I'd be a bit worried if I'm buying season tickets without a seat license.

Surely UNT will want to play this athlete compensation game per CUSA vote, and it will pass the savings on to the fans. As it is, I wonder what we'll be paying for the tickets themselves in five years.

If you think you're seeing empty stadiums now, just wait until they start pressuring fans to pay those exorbitant athlete salaries. Then again, that hasn't particularly hurt the NFL or MLB (It was easier, relative to my income, to buy an MLB box seat ticket when I was 14 than it is today), so who knows.

But yeah, I foresee a future where they play college football in a huge sound stage with 1,000 cameras from 1,000 angles, capturing that sweet, sweet television revenue, with the personal experience a vaguely remembered relic.

• Upvote 1

I predict high school players will sue the NCAA to lift the scholarship cap on grounds that they are being discriminated against by not being allowed on the gravy train.

I don't see how they can sue to raise the scholarship limit. Potential employees don't get to tell potential employers how many people they should hire. If that suit were to happen and the players win, precedent would be set and the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. would be next on the list. I don't see them being enthusiastic about allowing this to happen.

Just realize that what you are ok with right now is just the first step to further the monopoly that is the P5.

First step? It's like the 50th step. The P5 won this fight a long time ago.

The best the G5 can do now is try to hang on. The monopoly is in place, only government action could break it, and since the big schools who put in the legislators are in the G5, we can forget that.

Just realizes that you are in favor of an NFL farm system. And that's fine.

The $10k cap is just the starting point. What about the P5 shows you one centilla of restraint? Soon after the cap will be raised, at first on the money paid to players and then on scholarship numbers. The caps will eventually be eliminated all together.

Im actually not in favor of any of it. I'd like to go back to when money had nothing to do with college athletics. And I'd like there to be an actual NFL farm system so that people with immense athletic talent who can't even read a book aren't able to get into schools like Texas to play sports, and are instead fast-tracked to the NFL.

But that's not realistic, anymore. So my comments are based solely on what appears to be inevitable.

What is the actual goal of G5 schools? They've poured a lot of money into their programs in recent years in terms of facilities and coaching salaries. If G5 becomes just another 1AA, then what becomes of all that money outlay? Nothing?

There's got to be a strategy among G5 schools to A) realize that they are not semi-pro minor leagues the P5 are about to become and that it's simply not economically viable to attempt to become as such (see Boise and San Diego St). B ) Commit to that realization. C) Generate a long-term marketing plan that sells the G5 as real college football that's accessible to the fans, that's welcoming, that has tailgating, whatever. D) Profit?

Honestly, as much as the Ohio State dude was talking of a division 4 withdrawing from the NCAA, perhaps that's exactly what the G5 should do. Create something akin to NAIA that separates completely from NCAA, runs its own show on its own terms, and stops taking it up the orifice every time the president of LSU sneezes.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1