Charlie Strong Monday UNT Game Press Conference 11:50 AM

Harry

On North Texas ... knows it will be a physical football team and a team that will not beat itself. Will be very well coached. Last year, always found a way to win. Expects UNT to be well-prepared and focused. Had nine wins last year, speaks volumes to the job Dan McCarney has done with the program.

Really excited to get the season going. Players have been working hard in pre-season camp and are excited. Excited about the match-up with North Texas. Dan McCarney is a great coach and has done a great job at UNT.

Oh snap.... Malcolm Brown just kind of called out Cyril Lemon.

I don't think so. What you learn about these types of games is that the favorite team is coached to basically not even recognize their opponent. The consistent message was we just have to play our best regardless of the opponent. It's not what they are really thinking because believe me with their resources they know everything about our player and team. It's just a media coaching deal more than anything else.

What did Malcom (I assume it's the DT, not the RB) Brown say?

Craig Way asked him a question to the effect of, "How do you feel going up against a Lombardi candidate in Cyril Lemon..." And Brown was basically like it doesn't matter to me. I play the same against every guy I line up against. And the end of the day we will see who is still standing or something to that effect. This lined up with what Strong was basically doing, which is re-direct any specific UNT related questions to stating that he's worried about his team and how he wants his team to play his best. Believe me, with their unlimited resources they probably know what brand of jock strap our team wears so it's bs. The coach speak and political correctness has really taken the fun out of the press conferences imho...

Craig Way asked him a question to the effect of, "How do you feel going up against a Lombardi candidate in Cyril Lemon..." And Brown was basically like it doesn't matter to me. I play the same against every guy I line up against. And the end of the day we will see who is still standing or something to that effect. This lined up with what Strong was basically doing, which is re-direct any specific UNT related questions to stating that he's worried about his team and how he wants his team to play his best. Believe me, with their unlimited resources they probably know what brand of jock strap our team wears so it's bs. The coach speak and political correctness has really taken the fun out of the press conferences imho...

Yeah I was kind of hoping for an actual callout Ali style. But that doesn't really sound very personal to me.

Anyone notice the difference about PC with Strong vs Brown.

Totally different vibe.. I have always said that the biggest fear, both in FB and BB, would to see UT hire a real hardcore coach vs the figureheads they use. They are going to be good, and quicker than people think. Their "off" classes will still be a top 25 group and with legit coaching things could get scary.

I love the fact that the UT coach actually worked with Mac.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I was kind of hoping for an actual callout Ali style. But that doesn't really sound very personal to me.

Yeah that's kind of why I was holding onto it..... That was actually as personal as the entire presser got.

He also later went on to imply that he really only needs "one snap" and pre-game jitters will be gone and he will have a good idea of how his opponent moves. I believed him.

UT's defense is going to be pretty pretty damn tough.

Edited by SSP

Anyone notice the difference about PC with Strong vs Brown.

Totally different vibe.. I have always said that the biggest fear, both in FB and BB, would to see UT hire a real hardcore coach vs the figureheads they use. They are going to be good, and quicker than people think. Their "off" classes will still be a top 25 group and with legit coaching things could get scary.

I love the fact that the UT coach actually worked with Mac.

I just don't feel it with Charlie Strong at Texas. Usually, when replacing a legendary coach that has won big time at that school for a long time, the next hire tends to disappoint. I don't see him stopping the recruiting advantage A&M has right now from the SEC, nor do I see him elevating Texas back to the top of the Big XII where OU and Baylor currently reside. I like Charlie Strong as a coach, but I just don't feel like Texas is going to be the right fit for his no-nonsense persona. Texas gets top-notch 4-5 star kids that are babied all thru high school, just like they do at OU, LSU, A&M, etc...To me, this hire kind of reminds me of when Kentucky hired Billy Gillespie away from Texas A&M in basketball a few years. Gillespie's hard-driving ways built up a winner amongst the low-rated kids at A&M and the fans loved him. But at UK, those NBA-ready kids wouldn't buy into this new guy's hard ways, which basically led to a revolt amongst the team and fans. BCG was gone after two years. Maybe I'm all wrong here, but when I look back to when programs have let go of their great coaches, it has usually not worked out for the next guy, although Fisher at FSU and Les Miles at LSU both did a great job after both Bowden and Saban left. I just remember coaches like Switzer at OU, Osborne at NU, Spurrier at UF, Holtz at ND, Lloyd Carr at Michigan, Fulmer at Tennessee, and Urban Meyer at Florida after they left and see how far back those programs fell backwards from their heights of the previous coaching giants there. Miami and USC kind of fit this bill, too, but probation played a big part in their destruction, too, after national championship coaches left.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I just don't feel it with Charlie Strong at Texas. Usually, when replacing a legendary coach that has won big time at that school for a long time, the next hire tends to disappoint. I don't see him stopping the recruiting advantage A&M has right now from the SEC, nor do I see him elevating Texas back to the top of the Big XII where OU and Baylor currently reside.

I think this is mostly wishful thinking on your part. Especially the last bit.

I think this is mostly wishful thinking on your part. Especially the last bit.

Historically speaking, there is nothing that suggests Baylor can win on a long-term basis in the Big XII. I think that's why it is so exciting to follow them right now: everyone wants to see them pull it off year in year out.

Historically speaking, there is nothing that suggests Baylor can win on a long-term basis in the Big XII. I think that's why it is so exciting to follow them right now: everyone wants to see them pull it off year in year out.

The issue is Baylor is starting to get the tag that TT did.. All offense that put up historic numbers that is really only schematic in nature. I love to see them do well, but at some point accepting that the numbers getting put up are more due to scheme than talent will eventually hurt them.

A lot will depend on how well RG3 and Petty fair in the NFL. If RG# flames out and Petty is just "average" at best in the NFL, it will be hard to shake the mad scientist label