The biggest victory of Hayden Fry's Career

Harry

When Texas native Hayden Fry took the Iowa job in 1979, "Hook 'Em Hawks" became a popular bumper sticker. The phrase was borrowed from the University of Texas, where "Hook 'Em Horns" is part of the culture.

So you can understand why Fry, who had a 2-11 record against Texas as the coach at SMU and North Texas State, was so thrilled with Iowa's 55-17 thrashing of the Longhorns in the Freedom Bowl on Dec. 26, 1984.

"The biggest victory of my career," Fry said afterwards. "I've never had a game mean so much to me."

Read more: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa/iowa-football/2014/08/16/iowas-th-best-football-victory-past-years/14172277/

I met Hayden Fry when he first came to NT and I was a new student accustomed to NT never, NEVER, winning football games. I crossed his path on Highland Ave. when he was going to the Athletic Office there on the corner. I said "Hi Coach Fry, how are we going to do this weekend?" He took one quick look at me and proclaimed "we're gonna win!" I said to myself, "sure, sure, at least he thinks positive." Well, NT did win that weekend and the rest is history. I started attending every practice, every game, every pep rally then...and guess what, I see the same thing happening for UNT now with Coach Mac. Fry and Mac have something SPECIAL. Enjoy it people, doesn't come along that often.

Edited by cogido
  • Upvote 2

I could've sworn I watched the whole game, but maybe it was just this. Still, you get a great grasp of Fry just absolutely sticking it to the Longhorns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15gOcIil7Xc

jesus... back then we were called west texas state on tv?

and i thought north texas state was bad

also... we get some todd dodge qb work in this game