Bo Pelini Suggests Getting Rid of National Signing Day

If somebody has offered a kid, let him sign, it's over. That will stop some of the things that are happening -- people just throwing out offers, some of them with really no intention of taking a kid.

Make [the offer] mean something. People will be like, 'Whoa, I've got to take this kid now.' It will slow things down for the kids, for the institutions. There will be less mistakes.
Why does there have to be one specific day?

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/bo-pelini-national-signing-day-nebraska-cornhuskers-060414

• Upvote 1

What an interesting take and I agree with some of his points. For example: it would eliminate a lot of the bluffing and gambling that takes place and make institutions second guess who they offer. It would also make the kids give the LOI a second guess before signing. So, yes, there's potential to slow things down.

I also think there are a lot of kids willing to jump the gun because they get too starry eyed. The danger is that, if it's too early, they sit on that offer for 12+ months and might change their mind down the line. Then what? I don't know if I can support a system that says "tough sh!t" to a 16 year old that is still learning to make adult, long-term decisions.

At the end of the day, I think there is a need for a line in the sand - a date - that says a kid can't sign a LOI before he's X years of age/years in school.

The way he puts it makes some sense, and I hate to be cynical. . . . . But these days I'm skeptical of folks in the P5 conferences who talk about how they want to do "what's best for the kids." I have a feeling that he's just sick of not getting commits because so many players have handfuls of offers, even though most of those offers are no longer good.

I do think having a NSD is a way for a recruit and his parents to be protected from signing something they're not ready to sign.

I don't think anybody should be able to offer a recruit until he's completed his junior year of high school.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

How about, recruits can sign whenever they want, as soon as their senior year starts.,Once they sign, the kid gets 2 months to change their mind, no recruiting allowed during that time, and then it becomes official. The signed LOI is an official and public document, that everyone can know about, including the media. If a school or player wrties in, that they changed their minds, that is also an public document. Will still force schools to be more honest in september, and not just throw out ship offers to everyone. And Kids get a moment to decide and then see how the decision feels, but that time is more limited.

I know. It doesn't mawhether or not this would make sense... it ll never happen anyway.