UNT 2015 Outlook: Receivers

GrayEagle

(Wide) Receivers

Coach: Mike Grant

Losses: Caldwell, Chancellor, Pleasant, D. Smith

Returning: Chelf, Harris, Hubbard, Kidsy, Lancaster, M Marshall, Smiley, Teegarden, Terrell

Gains: Adams, Barrow, F Davis, Goree, Rutherford

With only one returning starter (Harris) and not a lot of experience returning you'd expect this to be a rather weak unit this coming year. And, early in the year, that could be right. I expect a starting lineup of Harris, Kidsy, and Terrell to open the season but I see Fonzale Davis and Goree as starters by mid-season.

I also think that the other two freshmen, Adams and Rutherford get a decent amount of playing time. I think that's especially true of Rutherford as it appears that he'd make a great third down possession receiver with his 6'5" height. I really expect something from Smiley as well. He's supposed to have 4.4 speed and good hands. He had pretty impressive high school stats.

There is enough talent in this receiving corps to have fresh legs on every play if they desired.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, just with the returning guys we're already in a so-so position without even knowing how much progress there's been with everybody who got little or no playing time before. And then you have the incoming guys...if they're even half as good as advertised, we're going to be in pretty great shape, with or without redshirts. Losing Brelan and Darnell hurts, but I don't think it's going to impact offensive production as much as some people expected.

Darnell Smith replacement is the key. I think Harris/Kidsy can help fill the void of Chancellor as a receiver. Special teams is another story. Don't forget about Jalen Adams the guy can really fly. Fonzale Davis and of course Tee have the chance to be stars very early on.

I think Caldwell has another year as McCarney gave him a ship. Kind of a head scratcher because if he played it wasn't much.

Other than Harris, it is a big guess to name the rotations. Freshmen will definitely play, but how many and which ones. Kidsy and Terrell looked good at times, but I am not sure ether starts. The constant injured Lancaster has size and supposedly speed.

He will open with the experienced receivers, but I would not be surprised if a couple of the freshmen end up starting. The key though is that wrs must block to get much playing time on a McCarney time.

• Upvote 1

Don't be surprised to see Wille Ivery lining up at slot throughout the season. He can be a sneaky downfield threat or a jet sweep threat. Much how Brelan was used. The sizes of the 2 are similar and so are their strengths and weaknesses. I think Kidsy will be a breakout player in the passing game. Harris will be a good contributor. I would love to see Rutherford get throw into the mix on slants and jump balls, maybe back shoulders as well. Work the personnel groupings to get him on a smaller corner and take advantage. Tee Goree will be good when his chance presents itself. I love this WR corps and the RB stable and the O-line is very solid. With an athletic QB (DW) making good decisions and with the right play calling this O could be explosive. I'm very excited to see how it plays out.

Don't be surprised to see Wille Ivery lining up at slot throughout the season. He can be a sneaky downfield threat or a jet sweep threat. Much how Brelan was used. The sizes of the 2 are similar and so are their strengths and weaknesses. I think Kidsy will be a breakout player in the passing game. Harris will be a good contributor. I would love to see Rutherford get throw into the mix on slants and jump balls, maybe back shoulders as well. Work the personnel groupings to get him on a smaller corner and take advantage. Tee Goree will be good when his chance presents itself. I love this WR corps and the RB stable and the O-line is very solid. With an athletic QB (DW) making good decisions and with the right play calling this O could be explosive. I'm very excited to see how it plays out.

It's amazing how productive Brelan was, even when our run game was not as efficient and Ds could key on him. I suspect that, with or w/o a Brelan-level player, our offense continues to grow more productive as more weapons emerge across the field.

Terrell, Kidsy, and Harris are the obvious likely starters heading into spring. The important thing to watch, with regards to the incoming freshmen, is the progression of Turner Smiley and Rod Lancaster.

Smiley is a tweener (between slot and outside receiver) and Lancaster is our only other current receiver, besides Terrell, above 6' tall but he has been injured pretty much how entire two years here at UNT.

Those are the mystery guys. Goree and Davis will almost assuredly not redshirt regardless, but if Smiley and/or Lancaster can provide the depth we need on the outside then Rutherford will be able to redshirt and likely Jalen Adams as well. Unless they absolutely show out and can be big impact guys right away.

dont forget that one of these guys could be our kick returner next season. im leaning towards davis or adams. i think it would have been james jones but with his stomach surgery recently, they may not want to put him in harms way any more than he has to be in the spring, hence he wont be the guy at that position.

• Upvote 1

dont forget that one of these guys could be our kick returner next season. im leaning towards davis or adams. i think it would have been ijames jones but with his stomach surgery recently, they may not want to put him in harms way any more than he has to be in the spring, hence he wont be the guy at that position.

Keep an eye on Erick Evans for returner. He's zed little brother and they both clocked solid 4.3 40s last week.

• Upvote 1