Will the next generation of fans show up?

Harry

It was a game that, in the recent past, would have filled the student section.

No. 5 Oregon was in Tucson to take on Arizona and, despite consecutive home losses and a 6-4 record for the Wildcats, the Ducks and their lightning-quick offense were a pretty attractive draw.

But come kickoff, Arizona's 9,000-seat student section -- which provides seats from endzone to endzone along the home team's sideline -- was looking anemic. At the start of the third quarter, Arizona had built a 28-9 halftime lead in a huge upset bid over Oregon, which had only lost four of its last 42 conference games.

By the time Arizona officials stopped scanning student tickets into the game after the second-half kickoff, only 3,773 were accounted for, in a home game featuring a Heisman Trophy candidate, Ka'Deem Carey, against a rival.

Read more: http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10458047&src=desktop

This should be a definite concern for college athletics and the pros. I recently met with the San Francisco 49rs about their effort to make sure they can get people off the couch and out from in front of their super capable HD TV's. Though they are going to have brand spanking new stadium they know the lure to stay at home in front of amazing TV's with friends is a challenge.

After the Southern Miss game I went into New Orleans and had a sunday funday with some Saints fans, some of which attended their first New Orleans game in the Superdome that day. They stated that they enjoyed it but would not necessarily desire to go back. They would rather watch the game with their friends at a bar. Again organizations long-term nightmare - one and done.

This concern is real at both levels. Organizations and universities better figure out what that population wants inside the stadium. It is absolute connectivity, continuous interactive activity with the game experience, giveaways and perhaps party zones for the various groups, all of which involve innovative technology.

I went to the UNLV basketball game last night and dropped $30 for a nosebleed seat. It stung but was still fun. However, I can't do too many $30 upper level tickets throughout the season for a conference game.

I personally think the situation will only get worse if college athletics becomes more like the pros. Some will say why bother with the Wildcats when you can check out Seattle tomorrow.

Got to stay ahead of the game.

GMG

This is a worry at so many school. Our students do not come here for football. I know when I moved to Denton it was for the music scene and that was during the bowl years. I would like to believe that more students will be aware of us. Now that we are playing more teams in Texas students get a chance to see us compete (it also helps to get more games televised). As long as we win we should be able to grow in student turn out.

• Upvote 1

Actually it has nothing to do with name recognition or tv. For the college age group they are talking about it's phone usage. Too many people in one area overwhelm the cell/Wi-Fi network and then phones/tablets don't work.

Asking some that age to go without social media for three is like asking them not to breathe for three hours.

• Upvote 5

I love reading UTSA and everyone else complaining about student attendance...we averaged 7,000 students at the games, culminating in 10K+ plus at Rice and UTEP. Sure, it's reliant on the weather, but for the past few years student attendance had outpaced most of our peers and even some P5 Texas schools.

Students bring the atmosphere.

I still see so many Apogee After Dark shirts and green on Fridays. They've developed pride among the recent classes. We've gotta keep it going. Got a good thing right now.

I rarely see other school shirts anymore and people are way more enthusiastic than they used to be.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 3

A big part of avoidance of these games is just simply cost--both in terms of $$$ and time. We live in a world that seemingly demands more time than we have, so taking out 4 hours for a football game isn't as easy as it used to be, especially when you factor in traffic and waiting in lines for food, drinks, and to go the restroom. Investing in a great HDTV at your home with the drinks you want to drink for 1/4 the price is just really attractive when you compare it to going to a game at JerryWorld, for example. Maybe that's just me, but the numbers mentioned in this story seem to suggest that I'm not alone in this view.

I used to believe that the students were the problem with attendance for NT. After this year, I don't believe that anymore. If you encourage them with the right product and get them fired up, they'll show. Apogee makes a big difference as does coach Mac.

The students are much more fired up about UNT than they were 10 years ago. The recruiting and orientation process really gets them into it, the other student activities help out a ton and the athletics plays a big role. I was worried about things during the Dodge era, but less so now, as far as football goes.

I will say, as far as in-person attendance at pro football, the price tag and time are often too much to ask. A full game day can cost well over $100 for a single person for the cheap seats, and this isn't including the cost for parking and driving and the general inconvenience of attending a pro football game. For the cost of two tickets, the drive, and the concessions, someone could fully host a really nice party at home and probably get better food and drink out of the deal without having to fight traffic or parking.

The fans will do a cost/benefit exercise and most will find it's just not worth the trouble of going to the game in person. At least not for pro football and in a few cases, college ball.

Edited by meangreendork

The students are much more fired up about UNT than they were 10 years ago. The recruiting and orientation process really gets them into it, the other student activities help out a ton and the athletics plays a big role. I was worried about things during the Dodge era, but less so now, as far as football goes.

I will say, as far as in-person attendance at pro football, the price tag and time are often too much to ask. A full game day can cost well over $100 for a single person for the cheap seats, and this isn't including the cost for parking and driving and the general inconvenience of attending a pro football game. For the cost of two tickets, the drive, and the concessions, someone could fully host a really nice party at home and probably get better food and drink out of the deal without having to fight traffic or parking.

The fans will do a cost/benefit exercise and most will find it's just not worth the trouble of going to the game in person. At least not for pro football and in a few cases, college ball.

Prices are getting absurd. Judging by the high school football at Jerryworld, people still love games in person...prices are getting out of hand--this could be explained by the fact that the schools seeing huge student issues pay for tier tickets.

I love reading UTSA and everyone else complaining about student attendance...we averaged 7,000 students at the games, culminating in 10K+ plus at Rice and UTEP. Sure, it's reliant on the weather, but for the past few years student attendance had outpaced most of our peers and even some P5 Texas schools.

Students bring the atmosphere.

I still see so many Apogee After Dark shirts and green on Fridays. They've developed pride among the recent classes. We've gotta keep it going. Got a good thing right now.

I rarely see other school shirts anymore and people are way more enthusiastic than they used to be.

I have gone to three different colleges and still wear clothing for all three, but if I am on one of the campuses I never wear one of the other schools. Every time I am on campus now for a meeting it makes me so happy to see all the UNT gear around.

• Upvote 1

I would much rather watch almost any game at home than go to it. I control the event at home. I can DVR it and I can watch it in two hours. I can press pause and go in the backyard and pitch batting practice to my kids. I don't have to spend an hour driving there and an hour back. UNT games are an exception because I went to school there and have so much nostalgia for Denton and have an ownership in the product more than any pro team I root for. But I see attendance at any live event going down, especially as the population ages.

• Upvote 3

The next generation nation wide will show up if they drop prices. If the keep increasing how they have the last 5 years expect to hear crickets. At North Texas students are your next generation and they show up usually. 6 or 7k deep, a few games 10k deep. 10k for the student section given the last 10 years of football is beyond impressive. It's astonishing to be honest. Expect that number to grow if the team keeps winning.

• Upvote 1

The key to drawing the students will always be winning and atmosphere. Apogee is a great place to watch a game. It is very convenient and affordable for the students. As we continue to get more home games televised, it is important that all the fans (including students) feel the game day experience is more entertaining then staying home and watching the game from their recliners. I believe watching the games at Apogee is far more fun then watching them on T.V. Getting a retractable net in front of the video board is the only suggestion I'd make.