What if C-USA had waited on WKU?

10Eagle10

The thought occurred to me today that Conference USA could have waited another year on Western Kentucky. By that, I mean, there was no rush to add the Hilltoppers in July 2014. Let me explain:

If C-USA had waited to extend the invitation, then we would have 12 football members in 2014. With 12 members, the conference would be split with 6 members in the East and West division. WEST: North Texas, Rice, UTEP, UTSA, LA Tech, Southern Miss and EAST: UAB, MUTS, Marshall, Old Dominion, FIU, FAU.

- with 12 teams/ two divisions of 6, the conference would have probably already released the 2014 schedule AND we would still be able to host a conference championship game

- by adding WKU in 2015, the conference would have easily split into two divisions of 7 with the football addition of Charlotte. WKU and Charlotte join the East and UAB bumps West. No problems

- the Sun Belt would have been able to host a conference championship game in 2014 since they would have had 12 members instead of 11.

In summary, I would have liked for the conference to have waited an additional year so that we could already have our schedule for 2014 since the addition really adds nothing by happening now instead of in a year. Carry on

• Upvote 2

I'm missing how the addition of WKU affects the championship game.

It affects our divisional play. If UAB ends up in the west division this year (they will be in the west for sure in 2015) then we will only play 5 of our 6 divisional opponents this year and will play 3 opponents from the east, rather than 2. That's the way it works with unbalanced divisions. I personally don't want to miss a game with any of the opponents in our division, for various reasons. Some are teams we should beat, some are teams that are potentially budding rivalries.
  • Upvote 1

I could see how that might have been confusing. I wasn't saying WKU's addition changes the conference championship game; I was just pointing out that not adding them doesn't force us to lose the championship game, ie. we would still have a championship game in 2014 with or without WKU. Basically, to sum up: adding WKU in 2014 adds nothing additional - ie, we jumped the gun when we could've waited. ^ what Billy said above, plus we would already have the 2014 schedule and divisions

• Upvote 1

I just thinking waiting t add them until maybe, say, never...and adding ULL...would have been better.

Would have rather had LaLa than La. Tech. Far more upside in their program.

Can't tell you how disappointed I was at La. Tech's facilities when I made the trip for the game this fall.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

La La has the sun belt stank. I'd take la tech over them any day. Don't let your taste buds overpower your brain.

La. Tech had the WAC stank, which was even worse that the Sun Belt stank, which UNT also had entering CUSA.

I would have traded both FAU and FIU for LaLa.

La. Tech had the WAC stank, which was even worse that the Sun Belt stank, which UNT also had entering CUSA.

I would have traded both FAU and FIU for LaLa.

Agree...

The disdain that La Tech alums/fans have for UL is almost to the point of being ridiculous. It almost reminds me of the same contempt they had for us not so long ago when they were coat-tailing SMU to gain favor over us for CUSA membership back when we wanted in that league last decade--pre-Apogee Stadium.

Tulane and all 500 of their fans going with the other AAC "Has Been Football Programs of Decades Past" should have been more than a a clear signal for C-USA Commish' Banowsky; that is, to replace the Green Wave with the Rajun Cajuns. CUSA just simply jumped the gun by adding ODU, Charlotte and others, but at that time panic mode seemed to have already set in at the CUSA offices in Irving due to all the non-stop G5 schools jumping mostly caused by the Big East/AAC and MWC (as in Boise's and San Diego State's waffling to and fro).

We just simply need another Louisiana presence in CUSA now that Tulane has left. Another Texas school should be completely out of the question. In CUSA's case, 4 from the Lone Star State is company but 5 would really be a crowd.

GMG!

Sunday AM Addendum: If FBS falls apart (which IMHO is 50/50 that it will with lawsuits that could very well follow); but I feel at some point in the future the CUSA West will form an even more regionalized conference of its own with additions such as U of L. (Hey! We've wanted folks to call us UNT rather than the name on my degree so if the R C's want to be called U of L maybe we should just call them that? I'm sure at some point the state of Louisiana will make it official).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

UL-La 1,000 Xs better fans than La-Tech and ULM. They really should have been the ones to replace Tulane.

They call themselves "University of Louisiana" and are highly protective of it. They call the others "State" "Tech" and "Monroe" (Picked that up from their awesome Tailgate, NONE BETTER!)

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 2

They call themselves "University of Louisiana" and are highly protective of it. They call the others "State" "Tech" and "Monroe" (Picked that up from their awesome Tailgate, NONE BETTER!)

Well by golley they should've been a lock for CUSA then...

We need to distance ourselves from the sun belt as much as possible. End of story. We have who we have. If FIU and FAU could peace out, that would be great, but by no means should any solution moving forward include any promotion from the sun belt. In fact, I think Charlotte and ODU from FCS were better adds than FIU and FAU.

Back to the original topic...

It's true that we would've been better off for football but Charlotte doesn't sit out on the other sports so all of the sports that Charlotte participates in could have 13 conference members.

La Tech doesn't want to share any limelight with a state team that they consider their equal or less but they're really ballistic about ULM; not so much about UL-Lafayette. ULM is in the same TV market whereas the University of Louisiana is not. Louisiana Tech has played the Lafayette school recently but I'd expect a hard freeze in July before they'd play ULM.

UL-Monroe has the smallest budget in the FBS by a good margin. UL-Lafayette has a budget similar to La Tech's and better attendance. They would be a good get if they can afford it.

I'd like to dump the two Floridas as well but unless the conference sets standards that they can't meet it appears that they are here for the duration. They have money. They just need to hire the coaches to make them competitive and put people in the stands. Strangely, they are competitive in the minor sports. It's mostly football and basketball that's the problem.

I like WKU in that they are competitive in every sport that they sponsor but they are in a small market and will struggle with attendance problems in football. They add a basketball "name" as they have a rich history. But, does that positively affect the TV contract significantly?

As for the Sun Belt, I'd say any member that can consistently draw 25K has earned the right to move up. When expansion is necessary (or desired) I'd prefer one of them over a FCS moveup.

• Upvote 2