Who's Most Worthy of a Raise?

Zeleny' Orel

With all the recent contract signings and extensions given to college football coaches lately, I began to wonder what type of coach is most worthy of a raise for a job well done?

Would It be the coach who keeps his team at the top (i.e., Lou Sabin, Alabama) or one who moves his team up the ladder of success (i.e.,Coach Mac, UNT)? Which requires more coaching skills ? Which is the harder job to do? Or is it based purely on who brings in the most money for the university?

This is actually kind of an interesting question. If a coach gets a raise for winning or playing for a National Championship, or at least being in the running within a week or two before final rankings, then wouldn't you expect that maintaining that top-level would only warrant extensions, and not raises? (I don't see the need for a cost-of-living annual increase for the top 5 earners in football but if you want to include that, sure.) On the other hand, no matter the level at which you play, wouldn't a continued increase in momentum warrant continued raises? Of course this is out of the realm of contract lengths, because if you have incentives in your contract for championships, bowls, bowl wins, etc. then it's sensible to maintain that same contract agreement, but in a sense of "which would you pick if somebody gets a raise" I would have to say that an increase in levels of success would warrant increases in salaries more than would maintaining high levels of success that led to an already-high salary and incentives package.

Always harder to stay at the top. Everyone is gunning for you and the expectation to win is great. Ask Mac Brown.

I think so many teams or schools will have the occasional break out year but can't sustain it. With Darrell Dickey we went from first to worst and he was fired.

McCarney had some success at Iowa State and was fired. Our own Hayden Fry had some success at SMU and was fired. Tom Landry was fired. Bill Blakeley was fired. Jimmy Gales was fired. June Jones and Gary Patterson will be fired if they don't get back to where they were quickly.

I would pay those guys who have done it consistently. The added revenue they bring in should be the basis for their raises. Base pay and incentives is fair I think. Long term contracts, should be reserved for those who have done it for longer periods of time.

"most worthy of a raise" = most responsible for increasing revenue

If we're honest and from a short-term perspective, based on the current state of NT athletics, there's a ceiling on revenue increase year over year. Outside of an undefeated season and BCS bowl game, no amount of single-year success will dramatically increase program revenue at NT the way huge success can impact the bottom line of teams at the top.

It's harder to stay on top but the person that turned the program around is more deserving of a raise, The person that is already at the top and is well compensated. An achievement bonus and possibly a contract extension are more in order for that coach. The turnaround coach starts from a lower point on the salary scale and is more deserving of increased compensation.

• Upvote 3

"most worthy of a raise" = most responsible for increasing revenue

If we're honest and from a short-term perspective, based on the current state of NT athletics, there's a ceiling on revenue increase year over year. Outside of an undefeated season and BCS bowl game, no amount of single-year success will dramatically increase program revenue at NT the way huge success can impact the bottom line of teams at the top.

Give everyone a raise and some new (and much higher) revenue-producing goals to hit for Fall, 2014, in Mean Green Country.

GMG!

:thumbsu: PS: Congrats to Coach McCarney, his assistant coaches and that great Mean Green football team who helped this program turn the corner in a big way and who'll get recognized tonight at the UNT/MTSU basketball game with a special ceremony and HOD Bowl trophy presentation.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen