Serious Question

GMG24

Does Frank Wintrich work with all of North Texas Athletes or is he strictly used for Football? If he is not used, who is in charge of strength and conditioning program that Mens Basketball goes through? Does anyone else think there is a legitimate reason why the Athletic Administration wouldn't get Wintrich to work with all the athletes?

Does Frank Wintrich work with all of North Texas Athletes or is he strictly used for Football? If he is not used, who is in charge of strength and conditioning program that Mens Basketball goes through? Does anyone else think there is a legitimate reason why the Athletic Administration wouldn't get Wintrich to work with all the athletes?

I believe it was during the time Todd Dodge was head coach that there was a specific position created within the football program for a strength and conditioning coach, and that the person who had been doing that (along with doing the same work for the other sports) was then able to focus on working with athletes from all the other varsity sports. I think the perception was that football just required so much of that work that we couldn't expect the S&T coach for football to be have the time to work with the other athletes, and vice versa.

UGH. Find a way to get Wintrich into the basketball program as well. Even if he isn't present everyday. Maybe one of his minions in training could take over but surely you can't look at the previous years of teams and development of players compared to the Wintrich training and be happy with the results.

Not perception, but IMO if our basketball programs had a Wintrich type conditioning program things may have bounced a little different. I am from the old school opinion that your hard work rewards you with the "ball bouncing your way" instead of the woe is me type, you find a way to make it work because of how hard you worked.

I am not saying these student athletes are not working hard, please don't hear that. Just think the fine work Coach Wintrich has done in the football program could really go a long way in other sports.

• Upvote 1

Who knows, however you are assuming that Seroka is not up to Wintrich's standard. The whole purpose to have a dedicated football strength coach is that they are not shared by other sports. The other sports benefit also because they have a strength coach that is not almost totally involved in football.

So, Seroka is either good at his job or not. If he is not, then NT needs to get someone that is. Sharing Wintrich should not be an option.

• Upvote 3

UGH. Find a way to get Wintrich into the basketball program as well. Even if he isn't present everyday. Maybe one of his minions in training could take over but surely you can't look at the previous years of teams and development of players compared to the Wintrich training and be happy with the results.

Seroke came to UNT about the same time as JJ. You either need to find another scapegoat, or believe that he is falling out of his prime.

• Upvote 3

Who knows, however you are assuming that Seroka is not up to Wintrich's standard. The whole purpose to have a dedicated football strength coach is that they are not shared by other sports. The other sports benefit also because they have a strength coach that is not almost totally involved in football.

So, Seroka is either good at his job or not. If he is not, then NT needs to get someone that is. Sharing Wintrich should not be an option.

This is the correct answer.

I am not saying that is a reason or anywhere near THE reason this season has gone the way it has. From observing our basketball program for the past 5 years, I don't think I can remember one player who improved physically so much that I said wow look at that guy, he is really a different player from last year. I probably shouldn't have said bring Wintrich over, but I think a Strength coach like Wintrich would sure benefit every program outside of football. Like Wintrich said in his episode of Beyond the Green anybody can come up with a workout that destroys kids and makes them puke (which anyone would dread). I am talking tangible evidence from year to year where you can look at a kid who came in undersized and added some weight and strength + speed and agility.

Closely followed the basketball program the past 5 years. Been following longer than that but not close enough to critique anything.

Edited by GMG24
  • Downvote 1

I am not saying that is a reason or anywhere near THE reason this season has gone the way it has. From observing our basketball program for the past 5 years, I don't think I can remember one player who improved physically so much that I said wow look at that guy, he is really a different player from last year. I probably shouldn't have said bring Wintrich over, but I think a Strength coach like Wintrich would sure benefit every program outside of football. Like Wintrich said in his episode of Beyond the Green anybody can come up with a workout that destroys kids and makes them puke (which anyone would dread). I am talking tangible evidence from year to year where you can look at a kid who came in undersized and added some weight and strength + speed and agility.

Closely followed the basketball program the past 5 years. Been following longer than that but not close enough to critique anything.

Just off top of my head , I remember Alzee really putting on good weight from his freshman to his junior year. Also, Jordan has added at least a solid 10,15 pounds since he was a senior in high school

I think that would be drinking weight if I had to guess, neither move like they used to (yes I know Chris got hurt)

Don't know about the drinking team, but neither Chris nor Jordan seem to be moving with the quickness they appeared to have last season and Chris seems about 20 pounds heavier. I wonder if that is the result of the injury Chris suffered?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

At least someone else noticed what I saw. I am by no means saying the Strength and Conditioning coach is to blame for our season or past seasons, I am just saying compared to other schools I have watched kids develop a lot quicker at other schools I follow than UNT. I love me some MeanGreen hoops too so don't take that the wrong way.

• Upvote 1

At least someone else noticed what I saw. I am by no means saying the Strength and Conditioning coach is to blame for our season or past seasons, I am just saying compared to other schools I have watched kids develop a lot quicker at other schools I follow than UNT. I love me some MeanGreen hoops too so don't take that the wrong way.

Basketball players IMO are among the greatest athletes of any sport. Conditioning is of super importance, but it is a lot difference than football. If strength was a big factor, NT's two 6'10 posts would be unstoppable.

I see nothing wrong with the physical conditioning of the MBB team. In fact, getting tired is more related to effort than conditioning. The most in-shape bb players in the world get fatigued.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When we first got the dedicated S&T coach for football, it was said to be for the two reasons mentioned in the first paragraph above. Also, it seems like NCAA rules for number of FB coaches made it where having a dedicated S&T coach didn't "count" against that number, and such a coach was able to have greater off season involvement with the players than the other FB coaches, I guess just due to the nature of the work, so it was almost a no brainer to create that position. No one was complaining at that time about Seroka's work.

I never said that it was a problem of this team, just asking if anyone noticed the same things I did. One particular athlete that comes to my mind was Ben Knox. Also if you don't think strength comes into play in College basketball you're a fool. If you are stronger than the player guarding you when they push you or put their hand on you it won't cause nearly the disruption of your drive or shot that it would if you were not as strong. See the times LSU came into town and bullied us inside. Yes Height counted for something but being able to physically dominate a game is a must.

• Upvote 1